Carbon fiber or other aftermarket props

I would be very curious to know how those work out.

Seems like the first set I have seen that are specifically for the P2 and are self tightening.

Carbon props are more stable. it is just my own preference and i have good experience with carbon and they don´t bend
when i put the PV in the case.

I never fly near people so for me it is easy to test them and so far so good :)

For me personally, it's not that I'm having any issues with the factory props...

Infact I had to use 3rd party props for a while because DJI OEM parts were impossible to get ahold of. The factory props are more responsive and slightly stiffer than the CW brand.
I like the look of carbon fiber, and when I used to fly helicopters, the CF blades were more responsive, and seemed to survive any "bumps" better than the plastic blades.
I'm really hoping it will be the same experience with these CF blades....

spanktimonious said:
Scottrod said:
Has anyone tried the self tightening carbon fiber props floating around? I'm tempted to try them but I worry the self tightening part might break or some other issue during flight.

http://bit.ly/1flsMoG

What issues do you have with the standard Vision props?

What problem are you trying to solve?

No problems. I'm just not the type to sit by and be satisfied. I have always tinkered and improved my toys. Whether it's a car, motorcycle, ATV, or RC toys I'm admittedly never satisfied. I'm just trying to get feedback to determine if they really help or if they are actually worse than factory props.

Same goes with the tiger motors. I've read enough about them that I want them but not until i am replacing my motors due to wear. Not worth the money to upgrade until necessary.

Is there any concern with using CF props ? I've heard they aren't for 'beginners', but it seems to me that the stiffness would take some of the lag out of maneuvering which would make things more forgiving, but I know I've read otherwise. They look cool. Somebody talk me out of this, being a relative noob.

donniew said:
Is there any concern with using CF props ? I've heard they aren't for 'beginners', but it seems to me that the stiffness would take some of the lag out of maneuvering which would make things more forgiving, but I know I've read otherwise. They look cool. Somebody talk me out of this, being a relative noob.

To my knowledge the only downside is that they are stiffer and can hurt someone more easily if it hits them. I could care less about that because
I don't fly over people often.

I have heard report that CF rotors aren't balanced and make for unstable flight. I have some non dji rotors on hand I ordered off of ebay and honestly im afraid to put them on. I will though eventually if needed. I have looked at them and they look identical but still. I dunno.

I fly aP2 with lightbridge. I fitted cf props and flew no problem for several months . Then the P2 started surging up and was impossible to control vertically . Had to switch to Atti mode to get the P2 down and even then it was very unpridictable. Did IMU calibration which it needed but this did not improve things. Checked compass connection etc and repeated flights but impossible to fly . Was about to strip everything down and see if the IMU was loose but thought I'd just try a set of standard of DJI. Props. The difference was unbelievable the P2 was back to normal. I inspected the cf props closely , couldn't see anything wrong. No chips, cracks or damage. Cannot work out what happened but really surprised that the props were the problem

I fly aP2 with lightbridge. I fitted cf props and flew no problem for several months . Then the P2 started surging up and was impossible to control vertically . Had to switch to Atti mode to get the P2 down and even then it was very unpridictable. Did IMU calibration which it needed but this did not improve things. Checked compass connection etc and repeated flights but impossible to fly . Was about to strip everything down and see if the IMU was loose but thought I'd just try a set of standard of DJI. Props. The difference was unbelievable the P2 was back to normal. I inspected the cf props closely , couldn't see anything wrong. No chips, cracks or damage. Cannot work out what happened but really surprised that the props were the problem

Did you try the CF props again to rule out a lose prop?

I had not done this as it looked conclusive and I had checked the props and tightness before. However I did retry the carbon fibre ones after your message ........wish I hadn't ! big problem P2 took off vertically after around 30 seconds, stick full down would not bring it down , switched to Atti mode and "forced" the P2 down onto grass, but was surging up and down, had a hard landing (albeit on grass) ripped the HDMI cable off, rest of the craft looks ok. Absolutely, definitely the carbon fibre props. I'm sticking to DJI OEM from now on !

So the theory is that DJI props are a little flexible for a reason?. It would make sense, that stiffer props (like a stiff suspension on a car) would make for a harder ride.

If the flexibility in the prop is partly responsible for fluid motion then I'd have to stay with the OEM props.

So the theory is that DJI props are a little flexible for a reason?. It would make sense, that stiffer props (like a stiff suspension on a car) would make for a harder ride.

If the flexibility in the prop is partly responsible for fluid motion then I'd have to stay with the OEM props.

It is odd as the cf props were ok for several months. I can only think that they got distorted in storage??? But the lack of control was scary. Thought I had a flyaway for a few moments.

Late to the party here, but I just got a P2V from ebay that included a set of CF props. I have used both the OEM and the CF and I have found that the bird is less stable with the CF props. The stiff CF props seem to overcorrect when hovering which makes it bob around more.

Just my observations!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues