Car charging question.

Reaction score
If I was to install an 12 volt to 120 volt inverter in my Jeep, What would be the specs to look for?
I see some that are for powering mobile devices but I would like to possibly charge batteries in the field.
Has any one done this? Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Some will say you need a pure wine wave inverter as the square wave models may damage the charger/battery. This doesn't make sense given the first stage in the DJI power brick is a rectifier. Regardless I have used both sine and square wave models without issue. Just make sure the power rating is adequate and remember that Chinese specs are often on the enthusiastic side. A 600w claimed output model should be fine.

For what it is worth, I have run and charged my laptop in the car/truck using a cheap Harbor Freight 400 watt inverter and it has worked fine. Computers are ostensibly more picky about clean power than battery chargers, and I used it on many 8 hour trips in the car before dash or phone GPS units were common without ill effect. The one I had was rated about 400 watts and just plugged into the lighter socket. I am sure 10 years later (now) the inverters are much better.

Reactions: Saeed Sadeqin
Thank you. How long do you think it should it take to fully charge a single battery? Just curious if I should pack a lunch, or a tent?

I already have a small inverter. Just wanted to know if it would work. Mine wont, its not powerful enough.

Great! Thats what I needed to know.

Hi there.
There are also such cigarette socket chargers in market.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
If your lucky you might get 15A out of a ciggie socket without increasing the wiring gauge. That's 190w available on the inverter output (pure inductive load only) if your generous in the calcs.

If you go the inverter route it's worth the effort to wire directly to the vehicle battery (appropriately sized conductors and fusing).

Reactions: k9time
If your lucky you might get 15A out of a ciggie socket without increasing the wiring gauge. That's 190w available on the inverter output (pure inductive load only) if your generous in the calcs.

If you go the inverter route it's worth the effort to wire directly to the vehicle battery (appropriately sized conductors and fusing).

That's what I was looking at. Something a little more permanent and durable. I do believe they have low voltage shut off to protect the vehicles battery.

That's what I was looking at. Something a little more permanent and durable. I do believe they have low voltage shut off to protect the vehicles battery.
Yes, although the LVC can, in some instances, allow the voltage to drop to the point the vehicle won't start. I have personally made the mistake of trusting that feature. An isolated accessory battery is a worthwhile investment if you have the need for power while stopped.

Car lighter sockets are only usually max 10A ..... and pushing to such limits are not advised.

The P3 battery is a max 5A rate at 17.4v ..... total 87W ....

As another says - do not trust LVC .... you can easily end up with a car that will not start !

I often charge LiPo's in my car - using a standard LiPo charger with HV mode. After first one or two battery's - I run the engine to maintain cars battery level.

Inverters - square wave cheap inverters often fail to start when initial load comes on ..... unless you use significantly higher rated.

My honest opinion is get a charger that does not need an inverter. For less than $30 you can get a decent LiPo charger and lead to charge your P3 battery's .... direct from the car socket.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues