Car Charger For P3 Battery

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, So whats the 411 on using a car charger to charge my battery? I have 2 now and will be getting more as i go. While im out ill use the wall charger if i have an outlet where im flying but does anyone have concerns on using a car charger. I know it might take alittle longer or does it? I would like some feedback prior to buying one. Is it a good idea? Will is mess up my P3 Battery and does it mess up my Truck Battery? Also was thinking of an AC/DC adapter to just plug in the wall outlet to my car outlet but i heard those things destroy my truck electronics and battery.

Thanks For Help on this.! Cheers

I was afraid to mess with the risks so I only charge at home but the wise move and what I would do if I chose to charge in my car would be to

buy a decent inverter ac/dc and then plugging the stock oem 100W DJI charger into it. BESTEK 300W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with 3.1A Max Dual USB Ports for Smartphones, Tablets and More Amazon.com : BESTEK 300W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with 3.1A Max Dual USB Ports for Smartphones, Tablets and More : Vehicle Power Inverters : Car Electronics

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been thinking of a "mobile set up" myself and was curious as to the best way of approaching this. My dad does pilot car work and has a pretty good inverter set up in his van. Powers A LOT of stuff. I'm thinking that is the route I want to take, that way I can run battery chargers, laptop and cell charging all from one beast while on the road flying & shooting.

I was afraid to mess with the risks so I only charge at home but the wise move and what I would do if I chose to charge in my car would be to

buy a decent inverter ac/dc and then plugging the stock oem 100W DJI charger into it. BESTEK 300W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with 3.1A Max Dual USB Ports for Smartphones, Tablets and More Amazon.com : BESTEK 300W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Car Inverter with 3.1A Max Dual USB Ports for Smartphones, Tablets and More : Vehicle Power Inverters : Car Electronics

Yes see thats my concern too, but would this converter mess up my truck battery and stuff. Of course i wouldnt cheap out and get a good one. was just curious on other peoples views. thanks

Yes see thats my concern too, but would this converter mess up my truck battery and stuff. Of course i wouldnt cheap out and get a good one. was just curious on other peoples views. thanks
Great question
It's my understanding that if you run your car while using the inverter then the alternator will charge the battery and you will not drain the car battery.

I bought a car charger (about $15 - Car Charger for DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced Battery) for my Phantom 3 batteries and it works just fine, albeit slowly. From about 25%, it takes at least an hour and a half, maybe two hours, to reach full charge. But when you are in the field, this means at least three more flights a day - important if you have only two or three batteries. It is also relatively compact - much more so than the combination of an inverter and the standard DJI charger.

I'd recommend that you only charge when the engine is running, unless you have a truck with a large battery.

By the way, for those who are concerned that somehow a car charger might be "bad" for your Phantom batteries, there is no evidence that is true. In fact, because there is no inverter involved, you don't get into any of the issues associated with what kind of AC sine wave generation is taking place. The charger simply uses a transformer to up-power from 12v to 17v DC to do its job. See here:

Reactions: reboot81

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues