car battery inverter

Reaction score
anyone use a 12v car inverter, thinking of getting a 100w output one. maplins in the uk do a 12v to 100w inverter for £34.99. this would be spot on for charging a ps battery while out and about if they work ok. what do you think ?.

Usually numbers (100w) are little optimistic, i would find one with more power to be sure you get the 100w you need.

I have used 1 in the past but I borrowed a mates that was an 800W version, I would say it needs to be higher than 100W to charge a p3 battery

Why are you planning to buy an car inverter? Inverters would be so inefficient to use. You should also check the output voltage waveform else it might burn your DJI standard charger and even damage battery. Be careful, don't go for a cheap one.

Best choice would be to go for car charger with 17.4 DC output. (DC to DC boost charger)

Depending on what charger you have a 100w inverter might be a tiny bit under powered and can some times try to reset its self esp near the beginning of a charge on a battery thats really drained and the charger is trying to put out its max amperage.

But the good thing is there are no motors with brushes in them to worry about needing any thing such as an expensive pure sign wave inventor or any thing like that to run a dc battery charger. So they really are not needed inless you also have other stuff you might want to also run off of an inverter that can be effected such as power tools and other things with brushed motors in them.

anyone use a 12v car inverter, thinking of getting a 100w output one. maplins in the uk do a 12v to 100w inverter for £34.99. this would be spot on for charging a ps battery while out and about if they work ok. what do you think ?.

I think you need to be careful. I've read somewhere that you need a full sine wave inverter. But I don't KNOW that. It's something to do with the quality of power it puts out. Now you know as much about it as I do. ....

Here's more:
"Pure sine power inverters produce cleaner power than a modified sine power inverter, and our line of pure sine models will cover all the complex electronics that are part of our everyday lives. A pure sine wave will replicate the kind of the power you get from utility grid, providing a wide range of benefits. This kind of clean power will allow electronics to run more efficiently than they might on modified sine wave DC to AC inverters.

Devices that require a pure sine power inverter. include: variable speed motors or power tools, televisions, laser printers, computers and telecommunications equipment, and many medical devices such as most CPAP machines. Without a clean power sources, these types of devices simply will not run, or you may risk shortening their lifespan and causing them to fail prematurely."

You don't need anything special for the charger, it's only a power supply not one of those more sensitive items - however you might want to spend more if its going to be used for other things too sooner or later.
It's worth noting the standard cigarette lighter might be only rated for loads up to 150w.
This is still OK for a P3 charger but be cautious if you start adding additional items.

I can only speak to my own experiences, but I couldn't get my p3 batts to charge off my 400w Black & Decker inverter. It had a protection circuit that would kick in and it would whine and scream at me until I unplugged it. I brought the issue to the forum and a kind soul advised me to get a modified sine wave supply. I went with this one: Amazon.com: Go Power! GP-300 300-Watt Modified Sine Wave Inverter: Automotive

It performs perfectly! I do have to keep the vehicle running of course, but it'll charge a dead battery in about 1.5 hours. Figured it was worth mentioning.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31