Can't start drone props with custom joystick setting

Reaction score
I don't like any of the pre-set Master Stick Modes (Phantom 3 Pro) so I customized one. I got it set up the way I wanted it and hit save. Then, when I went to fly, I couldn't get the props to start spinning. I took both sticks to the bottom outside corners and nothing. I tried the bottom inside corners and still nothing and so I tried the top outside and inside corners, but no matter what I did I couldn't get the props to start. The only way to get the props to start is to go back to one of the pre-set modes. Am I missing something here? Is there a step I'm missing? It seems like I should be able to set a Custom joystick setting and the copter props would start up as usual, but they aren't. HELP!!!!

Please post a screenshot of your stick setup.

I don't like any of the pre-set Master Stick Modes (Phantom 3 Pro) so I customized one. I got it set up the way I wanted it and hit save. Then, when I went to fly, I couldn't get the props to start spinning. I took both sticks to the bottom outside corners and nothing. I tried the bottom inside corners and still nothing and so I tried the top outside and inside corners, but no matter what I did I couldn't get the props to start. The only way to get the props to start is to go back to one of the pre-set modes. Am I missing something here? Is there a step I'm missing? It seems like I should be able to set a Custom joystick setting and the copter props would start up as usual, but they aren't. HELP!!!!
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the auto take off feature? I'm sure that is not what you want for an answer. But then again you did not mention how you have set up your stick configuration.

Every custom mode will be different. Try all combinations with the props off--- you will find one that works. You may need to be up and out with one and and down and in with another or vice versa.

Here's a screenshot of the setup. I'd actually like to modify this so downward motion on the left stick moves the copter up and upward motion moves it down, but before I do that I want to figure out why the customs setting fails to allow me to start the props the standard way of both joystick down-and-out. And auto-takeoff isn't the option I want. I want to be able to start the props from the controller as per usual.

Custom Joystick Settings.PNG

If you change the sticks, you'll need to also change how you do the CSC to start the props.

I changed my sticks almost immediately to a custom setting so that pulling back (down) would increase altitude. Doing that meant for me the CSC required one stick to be different than the default CSC. My left stick needs to be up and in for me to start the props. My right stick it still the default down and in.

Last edited:
I tried the above setup and my motors still start when pulling the sticks down into the inside or outside corners. Try calibrating your remote controller to see if that resolves the issue.

I've had the Phantom for a few days so these two most recent answers go above my head. How do I "change how you do the CSC to start the props?" What'd does that mean?

Secondly, how do I "calibrate the remote controller?" I looked in the DJI User Manual and couldn't find anything on either of these.

You can calibrate the remote controller like this:

Reactions: William Laven
I just found a YouTube vid on calibrating the controller. I'm on the road away from home so will do that in a few days. In the meantime, I'm still wondering what Oso meant when s/he said I need to "change how you do the CSC to start the props."

Mode 2 is what I used for a bit and sure I could get used to it, but that sort of defeats the purpose of Customizing. For me and my old body (read "old dogs and new tricks") it just makes more sense that pulling back the left stick makes it go up. Probably from my days as a pilot - yoke back, plane up!

Mode 2 is what I used for a bit and sure I could get used to it, but that sort of defeats the purpose of Customizing. For me and my old body (read "old dogs and new tricks") it just makes more sense that pulling back the left stick makes it go up. Probably from my days as a pilot - yoke back, plane up!
Exactly why I custom set mine on the first day I got it.

Hi sir. Maybe this will help as a follow up to our offline private conversation, as well as maybe help other pilots in the future.

> With a default Phantom 3, most people use this CSC (stick combination) to start their motors:**
CSC normal sticks.jpg

> Since it was more natural / instinctive for me to pull back (down) on the left stick to increase altitude, I made a custom setting to invert only my left stick. Note - not one of the preset modes, but a custom setting. Now when I pull back (down) my Phantom goes UP instead of down. Just like you said, "yoke back, plane up!"

Since I inverted the left stick with a custom setting, the normal default CSC shown above that most people use no longer works for me to start my motors. I need to use a different stick combination to execute the CSC. With the custom inverted left stick, for me to start my motors I use this stick combination:
CSC inverted left stick.jpg

> Of course, the same applies for landing and stopping my motors. The recommended method to stop your motors for a default Phantom is land and then hold your left stick down for 3 seconds. Obviously with an inverted left stick I can't do that. When I want to stop my motors, I land and then hold my left stick UP for 3 seconds. Actually, more often than not I use left stick UP to descend to about 6 feet, reach up and grab one of the legs of the Phantom, and then hold my left stick UP again for 3 seconds to stop the motors.

I hope that some of this makes sense and is not more confusing than not.

** I know this is not the only stick combination (CSC) to start your motors, but from what I understand it is the most commonly used so I'll use it as the example here.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Oso. This explanation, especially with the pics, now makes perfect sense to me. Once I get back home in a few days I'll make this work with your explanation. Kudos to forums and helpful answers (which should be in the OEM manuals BTW!!)

I tried the above setup and my motors still start when pulling the sticks down into the inside or outside corners. Try calibrating your remote controller to see if that resolves the issue.
Same for me. I left the left side controller the same (push forward, go up) but changed the right controller so that it would make "coordinated" turns with one stick, which allows me to get to altitude and then fly without touching the left stick. Setting it up this way, my bird still started just like always.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj