Can't see the screen in the sun-any suggestions

Reaction score
So my maiden voyage with the Phantom advanced was with an IPad mini. I couldn't see what I was recording so I decided the next time would be with my IPhone. I made sure the brightness was on maximum and bought a sunshade from Amazon. I believe it was made by Neewer. Still couldn't see anything. Could make out some stuff if my face was buried into but it was still washed out. The only thing I could see was what the battery voltage was. As far as what was being recorded I couldn't see. I have the iPhone 6s Plus.

I then went into my car and could see the screen decently, what the camera was recording, etc.. with the Neewer sunshade. Any ideas?

I even thought it might be me but the others I was flying with told me the same, that they couldn't see it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas? I'm still not sure how much I might use the Phantom so I am trying to keep my costs down until I know for sure. Then I'll upgrade to the iPad4.

Cheapest solution would be to just fashion a shade out of a peice of cardboard. Pain the inside black to minimise reflections.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas? I'm still not sure how much I might use the Phantom so I am trying to keep my costs down until I know for sure. Then I'll upgrade to the iPad4.

Supposedly there is another ipad being announced this month on the 21st, if so then you should be able to pick up a mini 4 on the cheap. You could try fpv goggles, I have not tried them myself but that would require you to install the $100 hdmi output module. You could throw a blackout cloth over your head and controller like the old style photographers. I have used an iPad Mini 2, an iPhone 6 plus, and an iPad Mini 4 and they are in that order worst to best. I could barely see the screen with a sun shade on the Mini 2 but with my iPhone 6 plus and Mini 4 I could see better without a sun shade than the Mini 2 with the sun shade.

Maybe hoodman.com or sunscreen is about all the options left.

The best thing you can do is not stand in direct sunlight (when possible). While the iPad Mini 4 is brighter, it's still not going to be as easy to see when compared to viewing it indoors.

Reactions: mikecorn1
A sunshade is very cheap on eBay, I use a iPad mini as well as iPhone 6 Plus. The shade makes a huge difference. They even have some that you actually put your face into and blocks 100 percent of the sun, only down side to that is when you eventually look up to use line of sight your so snow blind all you want to do is put your face back in the hood! Lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I went to Amazon and got the non glare screen protector ($10) for my iPad Air 2. It has made a world of difference. Down here in Florida the sun makes it difficult even when in the shade.

I went to Amazon and got the non glare screen protector ($10) for my iPad Air 2. It has made a world of difference. Down here in Florida the sun makes it difficult even when in the shade.
Do you have a link to that screen protector?

+1

Some other things you can do:

Wear a plain black shirt and a black ball cap low over your eyes. Make sure you don't have some kind of "intelligent" brightness enabled which ignores your brightness setting and lowers its brightness the second you put on the sunshade because it is trying to save your battery but in fact causes your screen to dim when you need it the most.

+1

Wear a plain black shirt and a black ball cap low over your eyes. Make sure you don't have some kind of "intelligent" brightness enabled which ignores your brightness setting and lowers its brightness the second you put on the sunshade because it is trying to save your battery but in fact causes your screen to dim when you need it the most.

+1

Oh I like this idea ... Black shirt, black hat hiding your face. Furtively squinting into an electronic gizmo with controls hooked up to a drone for chrissakes.

What could possibly go wrong?

(I'm playing with a 1000 nit monitor - it's fantastic and fantastically expensive. But I can use it on my DSLRs and as a slave monitor on the boat. Would not necessarily go there. The "cheap" (but reasonable quality) 450 nit monitors (around $300) don't really work any better than an iPad 4. This thing cost about $1000 - more than the P3....)

Last edited:
If I am going to be there for a while, I'll take my 8ftx8ft popup sunshade and plastic table. Takes about 90 seconds to set up, and in combination with the shade attached to the controller... it still can be hard to see on some days. Dark clothing is actually a really good suggestion, as viewing on a tablet outside is as much about controlling reflections as it is the raw brightness of the screen. The popup sunshade mostly helps with that. The ceiling of the shade is what you see in the tablet reflection instead of the bright sky. Now that you mention it, I should paint the inside of the sunshade black! ;)

Reactions: Trackman1
Ditto the request for a link to the anti-glare screen. There are several on Amazon, so it would be good to know which y'all think work best.

There are a bunch on eBay depending the size you need

c98b645f457ccda99a91ab9de4d89093.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sun-shades / hoods != anti-glare screens.

Question re-phased for clarity: those of you that have purchased an anti-glare screen for tablet screens and recommend it, please post a link to that specific product that you recommend.

Thanks much!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl