Can't lock onto GPS Satellite after crash (1 green, 3 red)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Noobie here and hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to either troubleshoot or (if there's such thing) a way to wipe and reconfigure the Phantom 1 from the start.

A number of months ago, I purchased a used Phantom 1 with 'ebay' gimbal on it and everything worked like a champ. One day I went to fly it and I think my remote batteries were low and when I took off, the Phantom just flew like a bat out of hell towards the sky and arched over a tree, lost power and went straight down. Most of the blades broke and also snapped one of the upper arms. So I bought a new body for it and swapped everything out. We did a reconfiguration and it told us it was successful. We also recalibrated the remote.

Ever since then, all I can manage is 1 green flash followed by 3 red flashes...the minimal number of satellites connected. Before that, I always had the home lock blink (6 greens) and would have the most number of green flashes and no reds.

So after hearing my 'story', is there anything that is ringing a bell? Is it the GPS unit? Can I reconfigure it? What's the best way to troubleshoot and more importantly, get me back safely in the air?

Thanks for any/all responses - feel free to link me to a prior thread, didn't have much luck sifting through all the others to pinpoint my issue!

ReSession

Re: Can't lock onto GPS Satellite after crash (1 green, 3 re

Open up the top - and after checking that the GPS is actually connected - pull away the foam that protects the GPS module. Unscrew it and look at the ceramic antenna on the top. If it has a crack in it then it's toast. You can buy the antennas themselves for not much money (about £4/$5) and solder a new one on. I don't have the exact part to hand but someone on here posted a direct replacement a while back. Maybe have a search.
If you don't want to solder a new antenna on then you will need to replace the whole GPS module which is about £120/$260

Ya that definitely sounds like busted gps antenna. They are made out of ceramic and being right in the very top of the phantom they get busted in most hard crashes.

rilot said:
If you don't want to solder a new antenna on then you will need to replace the whole GPS module which is about £120/$260

We can actually get it for around $160 over here, but that's still a hard pill to swallow.

ReSession, if the antenna is cracked and you want to try replacing just that, here's the replacement part rilot mentioned: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 1575252A02

i have the same issue..bought my P1 used and never connected to >6 sattelites.. just green, red red red... previous owner claims he's never gotten it to connect as well.. i've opened and checked that cables are connected, as well as ceramic not being cracked.

is there any other way to trouble shoot before doing the solder solution. i have bought the part and have it on hand but a bit weary of the soldering part as i'm not sure how to exactly go about it. is it just the middle centre part that needs desoldering/soldering?

i dont really want to try to desolder and them mess it up when it is ok right now flying on ATTI. but i would def like the gps feature.

help? or even if you have a more detailed and/or video of how to do the swap?

thanks in advance!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr