Cannot power up motors?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up my first UAV - DJI Phantom 2 Vision. I have it all set up and ready to go....however.

I had it working. Pull sticks down together and the props would fire up. I connected the unit to the USB on my computer, looked around at the settings a bit, calibrated the IMU and everything seemed fine. Props would fire up.

Then, and I am not sure if this is where the problem came in, I clicked the "Phantom" button and entered NAZA-M mode. I looked around, but didn't change anything. Then, I simply went back to "Phantom" mode. In doing so, I received a message asking if I wanted to "reset" or something like that.

Now, I cannot get my props to fire up. I have power to the unit as evidenced by green blinking lights. I have power to the controller as the power light is green. I checked to make sure the controller is synched to the UAV via the Windows application. I can "see" the controller moving under "Basic" > RC tab. I ran a calibration of the sticks and that seemed to end fine (all ended in the middle). The only funny thing is that running the X1 calibration doesn't seem to do anything.

I am very new to this, so I am really frustrated. I cannot imagine what I did to screw this up.

PLEASE HELP!

Try to rebind controller and Phantom again, look in manual.

If it turns out to be improper CSC (stick position/combination) execution I would strongly recommend going back and reading the manual cover to cover again.

Thank you all for your replies.

dirkclod said:
When You are when pulling sticks down are you also pulling them to the center also ?

Yes, I am pulling down and both to middle.

BWJ said:

I did this per procedure in manual. I also found a post that suggested I turn off controller and turn on UAV. Look under the unit and the light will blink red. Press button until it blinks yellow, then turn on controller. When connected, light will go out. I did this and it did exactly as expected.

When I connect the UAV to the USB on my computer, the DJI Vision software recognizes the unit AND the controller. When I go into the "RC" tab, I can see the indicators move as I move each stick. When I move a stick to the right, the indicator moves all the way to the right. When I release and the stick returns to center, the indicator on the computer does the same. When I pull both sticks down and together (to start the props), All indicators go all the way right, except one. That one goes all the way left. Maybe one of you can verify that this is what is supposed to happen? In addition, on the "View" page, the Channel Monitors are all set to 0 when the controller is at rest. When I move the sticks, they move as well.

This information would lead me to believe that
  • A. my controller is connected to the UAV
    B. the sticks are properly calibrated

I DO NOT want to sound like a know it all or like someone who is not willing to accept assistance. PLEASE let me know if I am missing an important point. As I stated in the original post, I am new to this and really have no idea what I am doing. I am giving this additional information so that all of you know, in more detail, the things I have tried. I am looking for any assistance and am willing to try anything!

N017RW said:
If it turns out to be improper CSC (stick position/combination) execution I would strongly recommend going back and reading the manual cover to cover again.

Based on what I am saying above about the behavior of the indicators on the computer, do you think this could still be my issue? I calibrated the sticks several times to make sure that after calibration the indicators returned to center. I am pretty sure they are properly calibrated, but maybe one of you can tell me how to know for sure.

The one issue that I have not been able to rectify in my mind is the calibration of the X1 and X2. These indicators are NOT at center. Both are sitting FAR RIGHT. Could this be my issue? I am not sure HOW to calibrate these and I have found nothing in the manual (although I will read it cover to cover, again).

Again, I REALLY appreciate any and all input!

bomber1712 said:
Thank you all for your replies.

dirkclod said:
When You are when pulling sticks down are you also pulling them to the center also ?

Yes, I am pulling down and both to middle.

BWJ said:

I did this per procedure in manual. I also found a post that suggested I turn off controller and turn on UAV. Look under the unit and the light will blink red. Press button until it blinks yellow, then turn on controller. When connected, light will go out. I did this and it did exactly as expected.

When I connect the UAV to the USB on my computer, the DJI Vision software recognizes the unit AND the controller. When I go into the "RC" tab, I can see the indicators move as I move each stick. When I move a stick to the right, the indicator moves all the way to the right. When I release and the stick returns to center, the indicator on the computer does the same. When I pull both sticks down and together (to start the props), All indicators go all the way right, except one. That one goes all the way left. Maybe one of you can verify that this is what is supposed to happen? In addition, on the "View" page, the Channel Monitors are all set to 0 when the controller is at rest. When I move the sticks, they move as well.

This information would lead me to believe that
  • A. my controller is connected to the UAV
    B. the sticks are properly calibrated

I DO NOT want to sound like a know it all or like someone who is not willing to accept assistance. PLEASE let me know if I am missing an important point. As I stated in the original post, I am new to this and really have no idea what I am doing. I am giving this additional information so that all of you know, in more detail, the things I have tried. I am looking for any assistance and am willing to try anything!

N017RW said:

Based on what I am saying above about the behavior of the indicators on the computer, do you think this could still be my issue? I calibrated the sticks several times to make sure that after calibration the indicators returned to center. I am pretty sure they are properly calibrated, but maybe one of you can tell me how to know for sure.

The one issue that I have not been able to rectify in my mind is the calibration of the X1 and X2. These indicators are NOT at center. Both are sitting FAR RIGHT. Could this be my issue? I am not sure HOW to calibrate these and I have found nothing in the manual (although I will read it cover to cover, again).

Again, I REALLY appreciate any and all input!

"I had it working. Pull sticks down together and the props would fire up."

Ambiguous description or improper CSC.

If it were me...I would hook the controller to RC Assistant. Calibrate its full ranges again including the toggles and x1. Make sure they are also set to "NORM" and mode 2.

Once that is done, leave controller on (close RC Assistant program) and plug in Phantom to USB and run Phantom Assistant. Then go to RC tab and calibrate sticks. Then click on the calibrate button below X1 and calibrate S1, S2 and X1. Making sure all buttons are set to "NORM". This process teaches the Phantom RC's full ranges.

Then since you have it connected do an advanced FULL IMU calibration on level surface.

Make sure props are off. Power off Phantom, unplug USB. Power up phantom and check to see if CSC will now start motors.

If they start up, make sure to do a compass calibration in field before first flight test.

Damon, thanks for your constructive and helpful direction. I really appreciate it!

Damon said:
If it were me...I would hook the controller to RC Assistant. Calibrate its full ranges again including the toggles and x1. Make sure they are also set to "NORM" and mode 2.
  • 1. One of the settings in "Command Sticks Calibration" and either X1 or X2 is set to "REV" (I can let you know which ones, for sure, when I can connect the Phantom again). I change those to "Norm"? I didn't put these on "REV", that was on by default.
    2. To calibrate the X1, I kinda need to know what the X1 is. :lol: What does the X1 measure? What do I move to calibrate the X1? Does it calibrate while I'm moving the sticks?
    3. How do I calibrate the S1 and S2? Simply clicking through the stops a few times? Do I do this when calibrating in RC assitant or in the DJI Vision assistant?

When I was in the DJI Application, I tried to configure X1. Not knowing what to move, I did a little of everything, including switching the S1 and S2 toggles through their clicks a few times. Not knowing enough about this, could I have "reprogrammed" my S1 switch?

Should I be looking for certain values in the X1 or X2? From memory, after I was done messing around, I think they only moved when I toggled the S1 and ended up on the far right of the scale.

I will work through this when I get home. I will let you know how it goes. Again, thanks for your help.

bomber1712 said:
1. One of the settings in "Command Sticks Calibration" and either X1 or X2 is set to "REV" (I can let you know which ones, for sure, when I can connect the Phantom again). I change those to "Norm"? I didn't put these on "REV", that was on by default.
2. To calibrate the X1, I kinda need to know what the X1 is. :lol: What does the X1 measure? What do I move to calibrate the X1? Does it calibrate while I'm moving the sticks?
3. How do I calibrate the S1 and S2? Simply clicking through the stops a few times? Do I do this when calibrating in RC assitant or in the DJI Vision assistant?

When I was in the DJI Application, I tried to configure X1. Not knowing what to move, I did a little of everything, including switching the S1 and S2 toggles through their clicks a few times. Not knowing enough about this, could I have "reprogrammed" my S1 switch?

Should I be looking for certain values in the X1 or X2? From memory, after I was done messing around, I think they only moved when I toggled the S1 and ended up on the far right of the scale.

I will work through this when I get home. I will let you know how it goes. Again, thanks for your help.

#1 It was most likely the X1 that was "REV" the new firmware forced that as a default for some unknown reason

#2 X1 is your gimbal controller (tilt up and down of camera). To calibrate it in RC Assistant just move it it's full range- all the way to top and bottom. If it is a new style remote its the dial knob on the upper left of controller. If its an older remote style it will be a lever on the back of controller (where your left fingers would naturally be holding the remote)

#3 Yes, you toggle them up and down to each of their three positions. Yes you do this while hooked to RC Assistant. (X1 too)

I doubt you re-programmed the S1 switch. Just make sure you when the S1 is in the down position it is set to either ATTI or FAILSAFE. It will be highlighted in blue when the S1 is in the down position. And for dang sure don't set it to MANUAL!

I will link a video to this in a second that will help you understand the steps. http://youtu.be/h2zNT6kHoEM

Please keep in mind all this talk about X1 is not going to help the motors start. It will be the calibration of the left and right control sticks in RC Assistant and then the pushing of current configuration to Phantom that will be critical to get the motors to start.

Another thing that might help if you can post a video of the LEDs when the Phantom is powered up. This might help us figure out the problem. Ie: controller not bound, gps error, compass error, or airport restriction, etc.

YAY!! You did it!!

When I logged into the RC assistant, I noticed neither the mode 1 nor mode 2 was selected. I selected mode 2 as instructed, calibrated the sticks and the S1 and S2. Disconnected the TX and connected the UAV. Ran calibration again and Full IMU. Reboot and POW up and running :D

As a side note, I am not sure if I got the right TX. I do not have the "Wheel" on the upper left of the unit, nor do I have a controller underneath (so I do not have an X1). Should this have come with one or the other? Model PVT581 is the TX that came in the box. Did I buy an old model? The guy at Hobbytown USA told me this is the latest and greatest version.

Thanks, again for all of your help! I can't wait to fly this thing tomorrow!

EDIT: Took it for a night time spin....AWESOME! One more question: Is there any way to set it up so no matter what direction it's facing, forward goes away from me and back comes toward me (assuming it's in front of me)? Stick left is always left and stick right is always right? If not, It's going to take some practice to notice which way it is facing and then control it the correct direction.

bomber1712 said:
YAY!! You did it!!

When I logged into the RC assistant, I noticed neither the mode 1 nor mode 2 was selected. I selected mode 2 as instructed, calibrated the sticks and the S1 and S2. Disconnected the TX and connected the UAV. Ran calibration again and Full IMU. Reboot and POW up and running :D

As a side note, I am not sure if I got the right TX. I do not have the "Wheel" on the upper left of the unit, nor do I have a controller underneath (so I do not have an X1). Should this have come with one or the other? Model PVT581 is the TX that came in the box. Did I buy an old model? The guy at Hobbytown USA told me this is the latest and greatest version.

Thanks, again for all of your help! I can't wait to fly this thing tomorrow!

EDIT: Took it for a night time spin....AWESOME! One more question: Is there any way to set it up so no matter what direction it's facing, forward goes away from me and back comes toward me (assuming it's in front of me)? Stick left is always left and stick right is always right? If not, It's going to take some practice to notice which way it is facing and then control it the correct direction.

Yes!

It's called Home Lock and it does not matter if it is in front of you or not.

You'll need to go back into your P2 Assistant and Switch to "Naza Mode" and enable IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control).

Then S2, 3-position toggle switch on the left, will allow you to select Course Lock or Home Lock.

Note: Home Lock only works outside a 10 meter radius from the home position (i.e the take off point unless reassigned).

You can read more about it and Course Lock here:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control

Do not forget field compass calibration! I'll answer all your other questions soon. I have kids football football game to go to.

And a helpful reminder HL needs GPS data so S1 has to be in top position. (GPS mode)

CL only needs compass data so it works in GPS or ATTI modes.

My suggestion fly in GPS mode and fly in open areas without trees buildings or destractions until orientation becomes instinctive.

Great work.
Hopefully he read the link which outline the requirements conditions each mode.

N017RW said:
Great work.
Hopefully he read the link which outline the requirements conditions each mode.
Its kind of like watching nature show of a baby bird, in a nest about 100 ft up.....

LOL! Thanks for the input, once again! N017RW, as a matter of fact, I DID read the link. Much appreciated! I feel a little more knowledgeable after each post.

Earlier, I posed a question about my TX. Did I get "taken" by buying a kit that did not include the most recent TX (I do not have an X1 to control camera)?

By default, a couple of settings on the TX were set to REV. In my trouble shooting steps, I set all of them to "NORM". So, according to the link about CL and HL, the S2 switch is OFF when up, CL when center and HL when down. Is that correct under NORM?

I have had a couple of instances where I feel the UAV was uncontrollable. I am searching around and watching some videos, but wondering if you have some insight. It seems that there can be a "flyaway" issue with the Phantom 2 Vision. I certainly don't want to lose it!

I will be working on flying with a connection to my phone today. Didn't bother last night, as it was dark. One last question: Is there a "night vision" attachment for the camera? Thought I saw something online, but now that I have been looking for it, I cannot seem to find it.

Your question about Tx I can not answer since I don't own that model. I'm not sure if vision only uses app on phone for tilt, or if it can use the remotes with gimbal lever or dial.(but I'm sure someone else will answer this)

You are correct S2 top is Off, middle is CL and bottom is HL. That is if you enabled NAZA MODE in assistant. Also remember to check the "enable IOC" check box. I would recommend, if you do that...don't use those modes for a while. Confusion when P2 is in the air is not a good thing and most FlyAway's are actually pilot error caused by confusion of stick commands and orientation. You have to crawl, walk and finally run.

Some of the feeling of lack of control can be just that, a feeling. Also sometimes a field compass calibration can tighten up flight characteristics. Changing the quad's gains can tighten up flight. Balancing props can tighten up flight. There are a lot of variables.

I have no clue about IR or NV attachment. I would doubt such lens exists that actually works. The cost for working night vision camera would be expensive. Hell, a cheap night vision scope that is half way decent, runs several thousand dollars.

The app DOES provide the camera control. I flew it quite a bit today and got some AWESOME video!

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it! I am sure I will be back with additional questions, one day!

@bomber1712

Read all you can find about your version, view all you can on YouTube and fly as much as your battery or batteries can handle. Instead of being the one asking, you can be the one answering on this forum. Pass it forward ;)

Read forums about lipo battery maintenance storage and use. Since you mention flying quite a bit today. I'll give you a suggestion of not charging your battery(s) directly after flight. Let them cool down to room temp, or you could damage them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers