Cannot add filters?

Reaction score
Looking at the manual for the gimbal, there is a big warning that you cannot use any type of add ons for the camera, including filters. Has anyone on the beta testing teams tried at all or is it just something that we'll need to compromise on?

I saw the same thing. I hope that is not true but if the cg is set for a naked Go Pro I can see a issue with adding anything to the camera. I use jibs for cameras and any weight, like a wire added or anything will cause the cg to move and it won't be balanced. There should be an adjustment, it would seem.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its one thing that has made me hesitant on buying the dji gimbal. Id like to use filters or at least something to give the lens a bit of protection. A minor crash or hard landing coukd destroy the gopro lens and this is not an easy fix or replacement. Even then if you change then lens thats damaged with another non stock lens this may alter cog and be the sames as if using a filter.

Also the gimbal being so specific to just one camera is a worry, I am fine with using the hero3 black for now but what about the hero4? If this changes form factor then it wont work and also even a change in weight would negatively effect the gimbals performance it seems. I do like the performance this gimbal gives but its not very cheap and it has no upgrade path beyond the hero3 which on gopro recent history a new version comes every 12 months.

The advantage of the design is its minimzed in weight for a specific camera, Im not sure if they have gone this route for this reason or to also protect sales for its bigger brother the z15. Its a real shame as the gimbal works so well it seems but spending $800 on a gimbal that puts my camera lens at an unavoidable risk and likely wont work with any future gopro camera is making other gimbals more attractive to me atm.

People seem to be looking for excuses not to buy it!

There will be future firmware updates enabling new features. It will be just as easy to import new settings. Any new GoPro isn't going to be that different in size or weight and shouldn't be difficult to recalibrate. It may require a modified mount.

I think the warning about adding filters may be a disclaimer, we will have to wait and see.

I use a GoPro 3 and this is the Gimbal for me. It would be nice to be able to swap over to my Hero 2's or even my drifts but you can only mount one at a time and the Hero 3 Black is the best out there at the moment IMHO.

There is a weight limit for a Phantom and any additions from standard affect flight time. There is choice out there now, some not so good, so go with what you feel is best for you.

There comes a point when what you desire exceeds the limitations of the Phantom and something bigger may be the route to go.

This is the big question for me though as I see the DJI gimbal as easily the best in performance, I really dont see much in the way of upgrade ability though and current mount will need the new gopro to be the exact same form factor. If they are looking at 4k30 and seeing the only reason this didnt make the hero3 black is that it cant cope with the heat. Mostly due to its very small size, also more processing power would take a larger battery which again would force a larger size.

If anything I would love it if DJI would release their gimbal controller and software to be used with all DJI flight controllers and then allow others to make the physical mount and motors. This would make this easily upgradeable and from the pricing I dont think the physical components are taking a huge chunk of the costing. This would give people options for quality motors and larger ones to handle more load or an upgrade path for your next quad or camera.

I really dont think I will be flying bigger cameras anytime soon but will fly GoPro's or any other small camera that can outdo them in performance. I am just a little hesitant spending this much on a gimbal that may not even be upgradeable to the next cam, If DJI was to sell a hero4 upgrade for a couple hundred dollars then I would be fine with that but not if I had to pay another $600 or so in 6 months time. But the no filter thing is more of a worry as I really dont want to fly a completely exposed camera and the mount design itself wont allow the blurfix adapter to fit the front most likely without a mod and as its got such a big warning I assume it would cause some major issues too if used. The total weight of the adapter and filter is quite small but I dont have an exact figure on that.

Ali in Austria said:
People seem to be looking for excuses not to buy it!

Hahaha, usually it is the reverse. I think that we all want to make a sound decision when it comes $699 USD + $65 USD for Naza module update. The gimbal is more expensive than the Phantom. Of course, we all salivate over the idea of a smooth system, but we do have to make considerations, such as:
- Naza update module adds weight and take space, thus limiting options with what we can do in later times, as far as Phantom updates (Like adding a OSD, etc.)
- Cannot use any accessories at all for the camera
- Can only use Hero 3, and yes there is a concern on how any updates will be handled, especially since Gopro is on a yearly Xmas time product release schedule

So I don't think that it is excuses, but more of an informed decision. ;-)

There is clearly a need for a simple, push on ring to go over the gopro lens that will allow gelatine film filters to be slotted in. Could weigh less than a gram if cleverly 3d printed.....

I've yet to try my filter adapter while using my Arris, but I know it's possible.
..tho even if it will all fit, I'm still a bit unsure how it might affect the balance.
these things are very sensitive to balance.

Update.
Talked to the guys at [email protected]
They have the DjI on order and once they get it in will be doing the testing on fit and finish along with cg issues.
Sounds like a plan to me. Let them do the r&d.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was to be expected, for them it is of course business. Good news, it also needs adequate to solve ... Lens protection or ND filters.

Yes a Gel type of filter system with a very thin lightweight frame could potentially work. It would make sense that the gimbal must have some tolerance threshold when it comes to weight and maybe adding very very small weight may not affect it's mechanism. Could just really be a cinegel cut to size of lens and help up with thing double sides tape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1