Canbus port location

Reaction score
Hi,

I have purchased myself the phantom upgrade board with the intention of creating a canbus port for 2.4 data link. I have also bought a spare canbus port that fits to the leg of phantom 2. Going to solder the leads from this directly on to board, just to make everything look neat like phantom 2.

Two questions.

1. I have the phantom 1.1.1. I was going to put the canbus port on the front right leg. Would this interfere with the compass on back right leg? I notice the phantom 2 has them diagonally opposite each other, but my dual receiver antennas are on the both left legs.

2. Does the geofence of the phantom still apply when using the 2.4 data link and ground station? If so what is its max range?

Thanks,

Damien.

Different legs should be fine for the compass. You can always plug it into the assistant and see the compass values as you move the connector around.

Moved my compass from right rear to right front. Works normal. Dont know about moving to left side but im sure it will be fine after a compass calibration.

gen3benz said:
Moved my compass from right rear to right front. Works normal. Dont know about moving to left side but im sure it will be fine after a compass calibration.

If you do that, make sure the compass faces the same direction (compass needs to go on the outside of the opposite leg), performing an orientation won't notify you of an issue with that.

ElGuano said:
gen3benz said:

If you do that, make sure the compass faces the same direction (compass needs to go on the outside of the opposite leg), performing an orientation won't notify you of an issue with that.
Ahhh, yeah thats what I read in a different post. Good to know.

Ok just installed upgrade board and soldered wires for canbus. Added the P2 canbus port to the front right leg as it did not seem to have any effect on compass. I have just over 5v at the 2 pins closest to the plug, and just over 3v at the ch and cl pins. Does this sound rite?

I also noticed there is a small chip or resistor on the P2 canbus port, on the positive pin. Will this effect anything?

Thanks,

Damien.

Hi Damien, that is just an isolation resistor to protect the RV pin. Actually its probably smarter to put the RV wire on the outboard side of this instead of at the pin side. While you are at it why dont you get one more Canbus plug and put it in parallel with the one on the leg but put it inside the phantom for Iosd etc down the track.
Photos here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumbgallery.php?do=showattach&u=485441
johnbig

johnbig,

Thanks for the reply. At the minute I just want this for the datalink but I might add another port in the future. Need time to recover from the stress of doing this one though :).

Will be canbus port with resistor work ok the way I have it at the minute?

Cheers,

Damien.

Or rather, since he's modded the upgrade board already, put the y-block inside the shell to begin with so you don't need 8 wires going out of and then back up into the shell :)

johnbig do you mean soldering the RV wire onto the back of the plug on leg and bypassing the resistor? What will this do? What is the purpose of the resistor?

With battery connected I get 5.42v at RV pin, 2.48v at CH pin, and 1.67v at CL pin. Does this sound correct? Could someone that has done this mod confirm this please? Thanks.

I just want to make sure everything is grand before I purchase the datalink.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Damien.

Hi,
Could you tell me where you purchased the spare canbus port? I want to do something similar to what you are doing.

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl