Canada phantom laws

Reaction score
Hi all

I am booking a holiday to Vancouver and through to Banff and I was wondering if there were any flying laws regarding taking my phantom for some good aerial shots of some of the main attractions, eg in the Columbia ice fields and lake Louise ?

Any help would be great on this.

As a new owner of a P2V+ and living in middle Alberta, I'd also love to know about this topic. I'll likley be doing some research my self so I'll post anything I come across. I don't thing we have the restrictions for national parks like the US has but I'm not sure.

Allywano said:
Hi all

I am booking a holiday to Vancouver and through to Banff and I was wondering if there were any flying laws regarding taking my phantom for some good aerial shots of some of the main attractions, eg in the Columbia ice fields and lake Louise ?

Any help would be great on this.

Have you already returned from your trip? Any aerial video to share?

Can't remember where I saw the article but all national parks are NFZ ( US and Canada) That being said there is no legislation in place for national parks (yet) in Canada so it should not be against the law. Park officials would be the ones to ask. This is my understanding of what I read. They may ask you to put it away but you won't go to jail. The Canadian rockies are reverse mirrors, objects are further then they appear. From the visitors center mount Robson looks like it's right there but it's 5 miles away, the summit 6.5 miles.

We were planning Banff and Jasper trip in 2014. I called the park and they were unsure. You can't take off and land "real" aircraft in National park, but the rules allow to fly over. At about the same time drones were banned from US National parks. That was the reason I call Canadian NP Banff office. Regardless, we went and spent 11 amazing days there. I flew _very_ carefully, minding all the time other tourists, never flown over crowded places like Lake Louise or Columbia ice fields... Here is result (shot with P2V+). Good luck and fly safe.

Reactions: Erised

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4