Can you leave your battery charging overnight?

Reaction score
I sometimes leave my batteries charging overnight, is this bad for the battery? Should batteries be unplugged right after charge is complete? Same goes for the controller charge.... I just hate waiting around for battery to charge.

That have intelligent chargers and will stop charging them when they are full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should inform yourself about the risks of charging lipos then make that choice
I wouldn't leave them overnight can be dangerous

Bateman233 said:
I sometimes leave my batteries charging overnight, is this bad for the battery? Should batteries be unplugged right after charge is complete? Same goes for the controller charge.... I just hate waiting around for battery to charge.

I use a self timer switch, set for about 3 an a half hours, staring at 4 am and set it to turn off at 7:30 am.

And get one of these
I have not had a phantom battery burst into flames yet
But i have had my rc boat battery turn into a fireball while charging

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,253
I see no problem with the extender charging overnight. It is a much smaller battery.

User manual said that : do not charge the batt unattended and remove charger after batt is fully charged.

Of course you can, but you shouldnt. If you have ever seen a LIPO go up, you would know why. The one in the TX is smaller (but not really small), but it will still burn down your house as even small LIPOS burn VERY hot. I AWAYS charge on a fire proof surface or have the battery in a metal can (ammo can) while charging. Been with LIPOs since they came out for our hobby. If you have used them as long as I, you will understand why you want them attended while charging.

I recently had to put out a LIPO fire where I work. We use small LIPOs about the size of the one in the extender in some of our devices. It was a prototype and a screw pierced the battery while it was connected to a charger and the thing went up. It took emptying nearly an entire large chemical fire extinguisher to put it out. It just wouldn't stop burning. It burnt a big hole in the carpet all the way down to the concrete below and caused an evac of the facility because of the fumes. It took hours to clean up the extinguisher mess. The company did give me a check for $500 for saving probably many thousands in damages because of my quick thinking.

I charge in a metal army surplus ammo can I picked up at a local gun shop for $9 which will contain any flames. Even so, I never charge overnight and I unplug as soon as I notice the charging is finished.

While I'm on the subject of batteries, here's a general tip.. Always store 9v batteries with a piece of electrical tape across the (+) and (-) posts. Just tossing a bunch of 9v batteries in a box or drawer can allow the terminals of the battery to come in contact with another metal object and start a fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: yorlik
Can I leave my battery charging overnight? Yes of course you can, but I would never do this. Always charge "attended", and in a Lipo safe bag. Youtube is full of videos of exploding Lipos. Not even sure I trust a Liposafe bag to contain the flames.

I charge in a metal army surplus ammo can I picked up at a local gun shop for $9 which will contain any flames. Even so, I never charge overnight and I unplug as soon as I notice the charging is finished.

While I'm on the subject of batteries, here's a general tip.. Always store 9v batteries with a piece of electrical tape across the (+) and (-) posts. Just tossing a bunch of 9v batteries in a box or drawer can allow the terminals of the battery to come in contact with another metal object and start a fire.

While this is a bit off topic, it DOES apply to the 9V battery comment. When I was an apprentice electrician (oh, about 30 years ago), we were working in a hospital. In the basement was a big barrel of 9V batteries. We were slow, and I was bored, so I got 30 of them, and connected them in series (positive to negative, to positive, etc). I then took my voltage tester, and, reading from the positive terminal of the first battery to the negative terminal of the LAST battery, was reading just under 270V of DC voltage! So, don't believe for a second that an unprotected battery won't cause some mishap... Hell, with two D cell batteries (which amounts to 3V) and a piece of steel wool, you can instantly start a fire!

~Joey

PS: And YES, I know this is more fodder for my "useless information" file. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj