Can you even fly in Destin, Florida?

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I bought my P3A was to take it to Destin, Florida this June for a family reunion. However, I couldn't be more confused. The following link is about where we will be staying:

Google Maps

I've checked two different web sites like b4ufly and another. Neither is aligned. One gives the impression that there are two nearby heliports and that is all I might need to be concerned with and the other has flags all over it.

I'm registered with the FAA and want to stay within the rules and regulations, but does this mean I can't fly the drone anywhere near this location? I was looking forward to flying out over the water where no one would possibly be, but now I'm wondering whether that might even be possible.

look at uav forecast app b4ufly is simply junk

Reactions: Tim in Florida
I would be very careful flying anywhere near Destin. Primarily because of Egin Air Force Base in Fort Walton Beach. They fly many training and test flights all around that area and many at very low altitudes. You still may be able to do so, but I don't think I would, personally. I've spent a lot of time at Eglin and Destin so that's my opinion.

Reactions: fishmanair
Just for reference purposes, here is a map that shows Eglin's Airspace. Highlighted in red is the over land airspace. The Blue and Black area's are over water airspace both for the Air Force and Navy, due to the naval base in Pensacola.
Eglin Range1.jpg

Just for reference purposes, here is a map that shows Eglin's Airspace. Highlighted in red is the over land airspace. The Blue and Black area's are over water airspace both for the Air Force and Navy, due to the naval base in Pensacola.
View attachment 54525

Goodness. So I guess if I even move East of Destin I still can't fly. Frustrating.

2016_05_20 - 03_33_55_PM.jpg
look at uav forecast app b4ufly is simply junk

So can I trust UAV Forecast's maps? They certainly seem much more reasonable than some other sites I've seen. Based on where we'll be it appears I'm more than clear to fly and Elgin AFB is far to the West.

yes a lot of us use this app

My point was more to watch the skies as opposed to being in a "No Fly Zone" Just be wary of low flying aircraft.
Nothing says you can't fly there, at least per the legal part. The runway is basically in line with the east pass ( Destin Harbor) I have seen many an F-15 at less than 300ft in that area. Keep your eye's and ears open.

just fly it like you stole it

flpholt Don't be an %$#$#. Try to be of assistance.

You can fly by Crab island, which is at the bridge on 98 going into Dustin from Fort Walton Beach. A friend of mine launches off his boat there. But I have seen military jets zoom by at under 1000 ft. so be aware.

Keep it low and close you'll be fine

Sorry, I'm still pretty new at this. How many feet is considered "flying low?". Does that just mean keep it below 400 feet or something less? Just so you know, I haven't felt a need to go above 230 ft yet.

You can fly by Crab island, which is at the bridge on 98 going into Dustin from Fort Walton Beach. A friend of mine launches off his boat there. But I have seen military jets zoom by at under 1000 ft. so be aware.
Thanks. I might try that.

yep stay below 400 feet and watch and listen you will be good

manned aircraft are suppose to stay no lower than 500 ft. but i have seen them lower than that along the beach..

Reactions: tayl428

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub