Can you charge the Phantom batteries using a solar panel?

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has figured out how to charge the Phantom batteries using a solar panel.

I have the Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel that has a 12 volt and a USB outlet. I tried using a small inverter- but that doesn't work with the normal charger and my solar panel (works fine in my car, though).

Re: Can you charge the Phantom batteries using a solar panel

I think the solar pnel is too heavy too allow lift off! Couldn'r resist

As to an educated answer, I din't know. But read what the current rating is for the panel. You would probably not want to charge even if you could. as you would want a balanced chared if using lipo batteries

See my other posts about charging batteries. we had a good discussion with some good links as well!

The Goal Zero Nomad 7 only has maximum output of only 0.5 amp,(the Phantom charger is 1.8 amp) so if you connect the Phantom battery directly to its 12V output and with FULL sunlight, it will take 4 hours or more to fully charged a pack that is 80% used.
It is not practical for this application, I afraid.

Thanks for the info. Does it help if I switch the setting of the charger to 1 amp, rather than 3?

I'm not worried about how long it takes to charge using a solar panel- I just want to know that it can be done. Of course, I could buy a larger Nomad.

FrankB said:
Thanks for the info. Does it help if I switch the setting of the charger to 1 amp, rather than 3?

I'm not worried about how long it takes to charge using a solar panel- I just want to know that it can be done. Of course, I could buy a larger Nomad.
Like I said earlier that the Phantom charger will max out at 1.8 amp, so if you switch to 1 amp it will just take longer but at 3 amp, it will be faster and post no risk to the 20C 2200 mAh pack at all.

I'm still hoping that someone can advise me about how I can charge my Phantom batteries using a solar panel. I would really like to take my Phantom on a multi-day canoe trip- but only if I can charge the batteries.

I currently have the Nomad 7, which doesn't work, even with an inverter- so do I need to go to a larger solar panel or is there a way to directly connect the Phantom charger so that I don't have to use an inverter?

Thanks for any advice.

It's not practical!

To do it properly, you will need a solar panel, a solar regulator, a standard 12v battery, a 12v to 11.1 volt lipo charger and lipo batteries! I actually have all that myself, but there is no chance I could take it in on a river trip.

Solar panels are unregulated power, so hooking it directly to the lipo is just down right stupid! Read the info printed on the (phantom) battery, and you will learn that it need the cells to be a specific voltages, a solar panel alone cannot do this!

To do what you wanna do successfully you will need a 10w+ solar panel and solar regulator, wired up to charge a 12v battery (deep cycle, car etc) and run 12v to 11.1v lipo charger off the battery! But you are essentially charging from the 12v battery. You could forget the solar panel and just carry a 12v battery, its easier :)

FrankB said:
Just wondering if anyone has figured out how to charge the Phantom batteries using solar panels.

I have the Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel that has a 12 volt and a USB outlet. I tried using a small inverter- but that doesn't work with the normal charger and my solar panel (works fine in my car, though).
I dont think it is possible.. Solar panels will not be able to generate that much electricity or you really need big panels for this

actually, I am searching for the same solution. But....... there ARE solar chargers out there that will work. Example: Suntactics sCharger-12 which puts up an amazing 14-watts and 2.5-2.8 Amps Max. I have one, and it's like a portable wall outlet.

That being said... I need to find a xt60 connector to USB interface to star testing the recharge ability.

madmanhiker said:
actually, I am searching for the same solution. But....... there ARE solar chargers out there that will work. Example: Suntactics sCharger-12 which puts up an amazing 14-watts and 2.5-2.8 Amps Max. I have one, and it's like a portable wall outlet.

That being said... I need to find a xt60 connector to USB interface to star testing the recharge ability.

Read up and search around, it's been covered before! In short its not worth the effort.

Btw that solar panel you mentioned is amazing! It defies the laws of physics!
I.E. 14watts = 1.166(recurring)Amps @12v.

Not to mention a solar panel will be Higher than 12.6 volts too!

Driffill said:
madmanhiker said:

Read up and search around, it's been covered before! In short its not worth the effort.

Btw that solar panel you mentioned is amazing! It defies the laws of physics!
I.E. 14watts = 1.166(recurring)Amps @12v.

Not to mention a solar panel will be Higher than 12.6 volts too!

I know, I know... but the solar panel is truly amazing and I have used plenty of them from different makers in the past on expeditions. Perhaps it is too much of a task to try to recharge these heavy duty batteries out there. :( FWIW, the panel is worth it for other devices such as gopro and/or iphones - that what I use it explicitly for. http://www.suntactics.com/product/usb-scharger-12/

Best way is to use a 12V car battery or deep cycle marine battery to run your lipo charger. The solar array maintains the battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers