Can we fly in National Forests?

Don't forget: monuments, battlefields, historic sites, seashores, rivers and trails. ;)

A total of 84 million acres in every state and territory. :oops:

bmr528 said:
Parks,,,, Forests,, Same thing.

Not the same thing. Check with the National Forest office for the area you wish to fly. There are a lot of things I can do in a National Forest that I cannot do in a National Park.

I wish there was clear info on this. I just got talked to for flying at a local lake that is 5000' from my house. Army Corp of Engineers ranger. He is under the impression that anything federally ran was off limits.

I am not saying one way as I don't know.

I'm pretty sure they are not the same thing. The director of national parks put out the ban for the parks, but don't think he has any say so over the forest. But I haven't been able to find out anything where the National Forest Service director or administration has banned them.

(In designated areas of course) I can shoot my guns, light off fireworks, ride my dirt bike and ride mountain bikes in the National Forest but can't do any of those things in National Parks. I'd most certainly fly my quad in the NF as well! Just my .02

I realize this country can be very bureaucratic, but do you [really] think that National Forests are not under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service?

knuckles said:
........... Forests are open for recreational use.

So are parks.

National Forests are part of the US Forest Service, a division of the US Department of Agriculture.
National Parks are part of the US National Park Service, a division of the US Department of the Interior.

480sparky said:
knuckles said:

So are parks.

National Forests are part of the US Forest Service, a division of the US Department of Agriculture.
National Parks are part of the US National Park Service, a division of the US Department of the Interior.
Right on target. Someone knows how to google. But we still don't know the definitive answer!

BlackTracer said:
480sparky said:
knuckles said:

So are parks.

Right on target. Someone knows how to google. But we still don't know the definitive answer!

I doubt any NPS ban on flying would apply to USFS land.

There is also this:
Unmanned Aircraft Systems | US Forest Service

Thought this excerpt from the above link was interesting. "The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)(link is external) has regulatory authority over all airspace, including recreational use of airspace by model aircraft (See FAA Advisory Circular 91-57) (link is external). The U.S. Forest Service does not have the authority to establish any additional regulations regarding where UAS can or can’t be flown."

So does that mean you can fly in National Forests? Does this apply to National Parks also? No one really knows.

There is also this:
Unmanned Aircraft Systems | US Forest Service

Thought this excerpt from the above link was interesting. "The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)(link is external) has regulatory authority over all airspace, including recreational use of airspace by model aircraft (See FAA Advisory Circular 91-57) (link is external). The U.S. Forest Service does not have the authority to establish any additional regulations regarding where UAS can or can’t be flown."

So does that mean you can fly in National Forests? Does this apply to National Parks also? No one really knows.

what do you mean "no one really knows"??? It's right there in black and white. You can fly in US Forest Service areas. i.e. National Forests

You cannot fly in National Parks. Well you can't take off or land in National Parks, but you can stand outside the boundary to operate the UAS and fly over the Parks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20