Can throttle lever response be reversed?

Reaction score
As a pilot, I have ingrained in me that when the yoke is pulled back the aircraft rises. When it's pushed forward, the aircraft descends. I have the toughest time remembering the Phantom throttle lever does just the opposite and find myself hitting the ground when I want to go up. Does anyone else share this quandry and does anyone know if the action of the throttle lever can be reversed somehow?

But the yoke is on the right stick? (which to Phantom's 'fly by wire' system represents 'forward' rather than up\down swinging motion)

My brain is wired in the same way but it's never been an issue for me as the "yoke" is effectively the right stick. The left stick is just the throttle and a stick version of the rudder pedals.

You can reverse the stick operation - go to Assistant -> Basic ->Rc and you can click on box next to stick choice to reverse.

I had a PPL and lots of hours. My suggestion is to rewire your brain, instead of trying to adjust the controls to your "habits".

My suggestion is to use a simulator like Phoenix RC, it has two quads to practice on, and some challenging scenery.

It also allows you to fly from the cockpit view, aka FPV, and then you will find some more things to get used to.

IMHO it has no use trying to control the quad as it is a normal fixed wing aircraft. Leave the controls as they are, do some hours on the simulator and you will have your type rating in no time. :)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. It's always nice to know someone else understands what you're talking about. I understand the yoke is the right stick, but essentially the "elevator" is on the left stick and called the throttle. I think the suggestion about getting a simulator and just more flight time is what's needed to rewire me instead of the controller. In the meantime I'll just need to be careful at low altitudes not to drill any holes in the dirt. Thanks again!

Having flown in real gliders I share the inclination wanting to 'pull' up and I have considered reversing the throttle too. However... it's how copters are controlled... although I gather the throttle/collective pitch is generally a more towards the horizontal orientated handle which you pull 'up' towards you so a reversed throttle stick would not be entirely wrong.

You could try the Android Indoor Heli Sim 3D Free which now also has outdoor environments and has a quadcopter. It will allow for a safe way to train your coordination and reflexes. Dunno whether there also is an IOS version if you are that way inclined. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20