Can the Phantom fly without a tablet or phone?

Reaction score
My stupid ipad air just turns itself off in the middle of a flight and it is so annoying. Anyway, I was on the way back from a 3 mile flight and 1.5 miles from home the tablet turns itself off. With minimal battery left, I kept my right stick in the forward position while I used my left hand to turn the tablet back on. When I turned it back on, the screen showed my bird still at 33 mph full throttle.

Even though I'd never be stupid enough to do it, would it be possible to just turn on the controller, turn on the Phantom, wait enough time for home point to update and just fly without a device?

Just a question I was pondering.

Thanks.

My stupid ipad air just turns itself off in the middle of a flight and it is so annoying. Anyway, I was on the way back from a 3 mile flight and 1.5 miles from home the tablet turns itself off. With minimal battery left, I kept my right stick in the forward position while I used my left hand to turn the tablet back on. When I turned it back on, the screen showed my bird still at 33 mph full throttle.

Even though I'd never be stupid enough to do it, would it be possible to just turn on the controller, turn on the Phantom, wait enough time for home point to update and just fly without a device?

Just a question I was pondering.

Thanks.
Yes, I would assume so-- never tried it-- but you lose all the benefits of the app and the telementry. You can buy a cheap simple quad copter with a camera that you can fly visually-- but I am sure that you would not want that.

It sure can fly without the tablet. I normally use my tablet for just a minute after I power up the P3 just to make sure all the status indicators look good. I turn off the tablet and then use the HDMI video for the rest of the flight. If you don't use the tablet though, all the telemetry about the flight will not be recorded since that is only stored to the tablet and not the P3 sd card.

You can fly without a tablet np. After the gps gets a lock the back lights should flash green while in p mode indicating that it's ready to go.

You can fly without a tablet np. After the gps gets a lock the back lights should flash green while in p mode indicating that it's ready to go.
Ditto. They will be yellow at first then turn green when it has GPS lock.

Get an android device I never get trouble like this.

I know!

I hate this tablet!

Everyone kept saying to get the iPad because it's processor was the best for the unit.

I really want to get an android tab but I keep hearing people say negative things about them.

Apple users tend to be like that - Emperors clothes syndrome!
I use a Galaxy S5 and it has been faultless never cashed once using my P3. I have tried a Tab s 10" and it also works perfectly. No overheating or any of the problems people keep going on about with Apple products.
I am either getting a Galaxy S5 or a Tab S2 8.4" next.
I bought my EX girlfriend a Nexus 7 a while ago - she sold it saying she hated android it MUST be apple. apparently now she is using an android phone grrrrr.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Does it completely shut down where you have to reboot or does it go to the lock screen? If it's crashing, are there other apps running in the background? If it's crashing then I would maybe reset the iPad to factory settings then reload just the DJI Go app and see if it still happens. If it's going to the lock screen then go to Settings - General - and make sure Auto Lock is turned off. I guess a little more info would be needed to troubleshoot.

It sure can fly without the tablet. I normally use my tablet for just a minute after I power up the P3 just to make sure all the status indicators look good. I turn off the tablet and then use the HDMI video for the rest of the flight. If you don't use the tablet though, all the telemetry about the flight will not be recorded since that is only stored to the tablet and not the P3 sd card.

Please explain this. You are using the HDMI video... What are you looking at the video on if you've shut off your tablet ?

I know!

I hate this tablet!

Everyone kept saying to get the iPad because it's processor was the best for the unit.

I really want to get an android tab but I keep hearing people say negative things about them.
I have been using a iPad Air 2 for over 100 flights and it has NEVER crashed or shut off, it is apparent you have something wrong in your settings or to many apps running, if it works OK on other apps then I would suggest operator error, don't blame the iPad, many many pilots are using the Air 2 without issue. Are you using the 'Air' or 'Air 2', you need the Air 2.

Apple users tend to be like that - Emperors clothes syndrome!
I use a Galaxy S5 and it has been faultless never cashed once using my P3. I have tried a Tab s 10" and it also works perfectly. No overheating or any of the problems people keep going on about with Apple products.
I am either getting a Galaxy S5 or a Tab S2 8.4" next.
I bought my EX girlfriend a Nexus 7 a while ago - she sold it saying she hated android it MUST be apple. apparently now she is using an android phone grrrrr.
Where did you get that assumption? :D:D:D Just because someone is using an IPAD doesn't put them in a "different class"--

I have had an android phone forever but switched to the Ipad after I have numerous issues with the my android phone. So that makes me an "Apple User" LOL:p:p:p:p I guess:):)

iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2 and Nexus 7 2013 I have not had a problem with any of them. The Nexus is clean nothing else on it and I always clear it before flight clean reboot (power off and on) use it for Litchi. The iPad Air 2 is just the perfect device for me though for any other P3 application.

I just received the P3P yesterday and started flying today in beginner mode. I just had my Nexus 7 2013 tablet randomly reboot when my bird was in the air. At that moment I freaked out a little bit. Luckily for me, I am still in beginner mode and still had it in my line of sight. Not quite sure why this happened. I'm not sure if it was because USB debug was enabled. I have since turned that off and hope this never happens again.

Before some days i fly with mine for almost 4 km without any smart device,only with the hdmi monitor.

Before some days i fly with mine for almost 4 km without any smart device,only with the hdmi monitor.
And does that monitor give you the telemetry or just a picture?

Yes, the controller is used to control the drone, not the tablet.

Yes, the controller is used to control the drone, not the tablet.
I understand that, but does the poster get the telemetry using just a monitor and not the tablet. I don't see the point in flying without the telemetry just looking at the camera shot on an HDMI monitor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj