Can the P4 make an audible signal to aid recovery?

Reaction score
Asking for a friend... who flew his P4 backward into a big, thick grove of tall trees in a Cambodian forest. What an idiot! ;-)

I... errrr "he" was able to zero in on the general vicinity of where it was from GPS and the camera view (still live) but the forest was nearly impossible to navigate w/o a machete and it seemed the bird was hung in the canopy, 40 or 50ft up.

What would have made this a snap to find was if I could get the P4 to make an audible alarm.

In the end, poking a huge bamboo stick at the nearby trees and watching the camera to see if branches moved helped me... him... find the right tree and an expert Cambodian tree-climber plucked it down, unharmed.

So, I'm guessing there is a function to get it to make a noise to help locate it, but I haven't found it.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There is no such function.

Asking for a friend... who flew his P4 backward into a big, thick grove of tall trees in a Cambodian forest. What an idiot! ;-)

I... errrr "he" was able to zero in on the general vicinity of where it was from GPS and the camera view (still live) but the forest was nearly impossible to navigate w/o a machete and it seemed the bird was hung in the canopy, 40 or 50ft up.

What would have made this a snap to find was if I could get the P4 to make an audible alarm.

In the end, poking a huge bamboo stick at the nearby trees and watching the camera to see if branches moved helped me... him... find the right tree and an expert Cambodian tree-climber plucked it down, unharmed.

So, I'm guessing there is a function to get it to make a noise to help locate it, but I haven't found it.

Any tips?

That has been a bit of a concern of mine as well. To solve this problem I have attached a Tile with double sided mounting tape to the top of my bird (see picture). Now I know this is not exactly a state of the art locating solution. But it will give a loud audible chirping sound when I activate it from my blue tooth enable phone (up to about 100 feet) and is quite inexpensive. Something would have helped you, er I mean your friend in Cambodia.
IMG_3939.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 460
Great idea, thanks.

100ft range to trigger it should be enough, since the gps (when it survived the crash) was enough to get me very close.

There is no such function.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to implement. The speakers are already there....

I know trackimo has a beep function, but it is barely audible
That has been a bit of a concern of mine as well. To solve this problem I have attached a Tile with double sided mounting tape to the top of my bird (see picture). Now I know this is not exactly a state of the art locating solution. But it will give a loud audible chirping sound when I activate it from my blue tooth enable phone (up to about 100 feet) and is quite inexpensive. Something would have helped you, er I mean your friend in Cambodia.
View attachment 49669

Maybe tape it to a leg? The GPS module is right under where you have yours

I never thought of that, to make sounds to make recovery easier.

Maybe attach brite lights, on it to find it in the dark after dusk.

Or stick an old iphone 4 on it and go online and use the FIND OPTION in your iCloud account.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to implement. The speakers are already there....

I know trackimo has a beep function, but it is barely audible

Maybe tape it to a leg? The GPS module is right under where you have yours
Good point, thanks

i don't think this interests DJI very much....ive seen this idea brought up before with P3...a hell of an idea but unless its third party i doubt we will see this from DJI.

Sticking a tile appears to be a good idea.

That sounds like a good idea which could be implemented several ways. I had a drone crash at the edge of a forest in tall brush. It took me a solid hour to find it and that was by luck.

Reactions: Ken Pelletier

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic