Can the P3P/A land with just 3 motors spinning?

Reaction score
Just curious if the P3 can land with just 3 motors working, the other say not working at all or maybe the prop broken?

I know Octo copters have this facility, but just wanted to find out if pilots have experienced a motor failure mid flight.

Cheers

Nope. It'll drop like a rock.

Reactions: bobmyers and nickyb
I had a prop fly off before on a P3S and the Phantom immediately flipped and flew into the ground

the system dynamics control theory , laplace transforms and the kinetics have been there since the 1800's and tested..

would "dji" put those simple differential equations on the brain of the bird..? sorry thats just stupid at this early level of the company/product

Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters | TED Talk | TED.com

They should really consider implementing that algorithm for prop loss recovery.
But as many say, DJI probably prefers phantoms to crash to make more money...

I had a motor completely separate from my P3 mid hover. It not only crashed, the spinning accelerated as it came down. I think it was trying to compensate for the rotation, but without the 4th rotor the other motors just keep making it worse.

With two motors spinning in one direction and only one spinning in the other direction, the quad began to spin in the opposite direction of the two motors' direction.

It's a simple unequal torque issue and the quad had no way to correct for this imbalance and maintain altitude.

Could it decend on just two opposite motors or can it only fly or descend on all 4?

I suspect it would tumble in the direction of the two dead motors, just not as fast as it would with three motors. Would someone please give it a try and get back to us?

Reactions: bobmyers
It's comes down to balance and thrust.

Is there enough thrust from two motors to reduce the descent speed to a survivable level?
Not expecting that to be true with the current P3 design/components.

Is it sufficiently balanced to maintain stability? No.
Then you have air currents and other factors beyond just the hardware.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20