Can the Home be set to the transmitter?

Reaction score
I want to use the Phantom from a moving boat. The problem is that it will "remember" home as some point over the water. While it is away, can I reset "home" to be the transmitter ( where I will obviously be)? I know I can reset "home" to be where it is but I want "home" to be where I am, and I will be moving.

Purrfect said:
I want to use the Phantom from a moving boat. The problem is that it will "remember" home as some point over the water. While it is away, can I reset "home" to be the transmitter ( where I will obviously be)? I know I can reset "home" to be where it is but I want "home" to be where I am, and I will be moving.

Unfortunately, no. Home is a static GPS position. You could use S2 to reset the home location nearer to your current location as you move along, but you can't lock it to a moving transmitter's location.

Not gonna happen, what you are looking for is a follow me mode which I personally would love but its not available as yet. The first manufacturer that has that on a quad has my next €1500 ;)
Until then be very, very carful while using it out over water. The rule is, if you are going to use it over water, be prepared to come home without it.
Happy flying.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Not gonna happen, what you are looking for is a follow me mode which I personally would love but its not available as yet. The first manufacturer that has that on a quad has my next €1500 ;)
Until then be very, very carful while using it out over water. The rule is, if you are going to use it over water, be prepared to come home without it.
Happy flying.

The pocket drone has that feature http://www.thepocketdrone.com/

The transmitter does not have a GPS system in it so it can't tell the Phantom where you are.

kgarrison said:
The transmitter does not have a GPS system in it so it can't tell the Phantom where you are.

I also assume that the «Home Lock» feature is tied with the GPS coordinates that the Phantom record at initialization and it's not safe to move a lot with the transmitter while flying in HL and still believing that this feature will work as expected (flying in relation of the controller position).

About the reset in flight of the Home Lock Position, I'm a bit puzzled : if you reset the HLP while the Phantom is 200 feet above the ground : in case of a loss of transmission, will the Phantom come back at that point and crash land because it will stop the motors at 200 feet thinking it had landed?

Maher

maher said:
kgarrison said:

I also assume that the «Home Lock» feature is tied with the GPS coordinates that the Phantom record at initialization and it's not safe to move a lot with the transmitter while flying in HL and still believing that this feature will work as expected (flying in relation of the controller position).

About the reset in flight of the Home Lock Position, I'm a bit puzzled : if you reset the HLP while the Phantom is 200 feet above the ground : in case of a loss of transmission, will the Phantom come back at that point and crash land because it will stop the motors at 200 feet thinking it had landed?

Maher

The motors don't stop until it detects it is no longer descending.

maher said:

You would get odd behavior if you attempt to use Home Lock from an alternate position. Directional control would be relative to home. You could use Course lock though where, lets say you had the nose of the aircraft pointed north upon initialization, the stick would continue to direct the Phantom towards the proper cardinal points, even if you had changed locations.

Even if you set the Home Point at 200', your Phantom will continue to descend until it touches the ground. The motors do not shut down until she becomes stable. Sometimes they are even a bit slow to throttle down, causing her to bounce and skip a bit.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1