Can someone suggest a good DJI Phantom 4 backpack for air travel?

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm trying to find a backpack that is ideal for traveling with the DJI Phantom 4 on regular commercial airlines. I'd like to travel with my soon to be acquired DJI Phantom 4, so having a protective, comfortable, and correctly sized backpack is really important to me.

If anyone has any suggestions or questions I'd love to hear them.

Thank you for your time!

Very cool! What do you like about it? Is it protective enough to be used as a carry on while also decently comfortable to wear?

Thanks

My primary reason for liking it is that it is well designed to be comfortable to hike with - the suspension system is good. Not a full hard shell structure, but rigid enough to provide adequate protection without being to heavy or uncomfortable. It has a top partition that I use to hold a hydration pack, but for air travel that could be used for something else. Internally it has plenty of room for everything plus a full-sized tablet, and can be flexibly configured.

Reactions: LosDosMonitos
I just watched a youtube review and it mirrors pretty much everything you've said.

The review is here:

With that said, it appears that the backpack doesn't have a slot for a laptop. Do you know if there is any spare place you could fit one?

I just watched a youtube review and it mirrors pretty much everything you've said.

The review is here:

With that said, it appears that the backpack doesn't have a slot for a laptop. Do you know if there is any spare place you could fit one?

Depends on the laptop. My 12" MacBook fits fine inside. My 15" MacBook Pro does not.

Hello!

I'm trying to find a backpack that is ideal for traveling with the DJI Phantom 4 on regular commercial airlines. I'd like to travel with my soon to be acquired DJI Phantom 4, so having a protective, comfortable, and correctly sized backpack is really important to me.

If anyone has any suggestions or questions I'd love to hear them.

Thank you for your time!
Polar pro drone trekker

Checkout the ProCraft Backpack. Super comfortable and roomy for P4, accessories and more! Only $119
Yes, it's nice, I just got a ProCraft myself ($120). If you carry a tripod all the time, this pack would be almost perfect, because it's got the handy fold out tripod pocket. However I personally think they don't need the 6 internal Velcro straps. I'll likely end up cutting them off because it's just too much hassle keeping them cinched and organized. My ThinkTank Helipak ($200) backpack for my other Phantom doesn't have the straps, and that pack has worked perfect, it's a no hassle design. There are also straps on the outside of the ProCraft to securely hold the tripod, but they also get in the way to open and close the primary lid zipper. I may cut those off too since I don't carry a tripod.

I kinda like the Helipak design better, maybe because we've been so many places together...:D but it's certainly not worth the extra $80 over the ProCraft IMHO. The ProCraft looks like a clone to the Helipak layout, but it actually has better lid compartments storage layout, and also some handy removable zippered packs (which I'll likely never use, it's just another zipper to open) along with a good waist belt for long hikes. There are a few things I like about the Helipak better over the ProCraft. 1. It's slightly thinner (1/2") and lighter, plus it's got a second grab handle on the side that I use all the time. The Procraft has only one grab handle on the top. The Helipak has a better primary lid zipper, it's more robust and easier to zip.

Between these two, either one can get the job done with tons of room inside. Both can be configured to individually protect 3 or 4 batteries in separate compartments. Other compartments hold all of the other accessories like chargers, props, filters, iPad Air2, sun shade, MarcoPolo tracker, wind meter, windsurfers, etc. Plus they can both hold a DJI RC with the smaller Itelite aftermarket antenna installed, which is nice. I'm not sure if any other pack can do that, but maybe. Both have nicely padded shoulder straps and waist belts. I have a 50X optical zoom point and shoot (Canon SX50) that I often throw in, because it has the extra room. The ProCraft has two outside pockets for water bottles, Helipak has only one, because the second grab handle is sewn in that area.

Last edited:
Procraft

Polar Pro Drone Trekker here as well. Great bag.

Same here. Sitting in Lihue airport waiting to board return flights from Hawaii. This bag was great for the whole trip.

Polar Pro Drone Trekker! Haven't flown with it, but it's an incredibly versatile backpack! I'm still finding spaces and nooks and crannies in it after 2 weeks lol!!

Reactions: BarryP
I purchased the Go Professional Fieldline edition which is on sale for $125. It is a very well made backpack with precision custom foam made for the Phantom 4, and it has lots of pockets for storage. The dimensions fit with in the commercial airline outlines so you can take it and place it in the overhead bins without having to worry about it not fitting and having to get the bag checked.

The company is reputable and I received the backpack the next day shipped from San Diego.

Pics attached.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 433
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
    FullSizeRender3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 445
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 481
For $40 I bought a Jansport backpack and shove it in there in the styrofoam case - why pay more when it comes in a case?

For $40 I bought a Jansport backpack and shove it in there in the styrofoam case - why pay more when it comes in a case?
Because you'll quickly outgrow the capacity of that DJI beer cooler, and it's a hassle ergonomically, in comparison to most backpacks made for the Phantom. If you want to go cheap, for $40 these work well. They are super light, work good, but not appropriate for serious backpacking, only for toting around, plane carry-on travel, light duty type of usage. You get what you pay for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik