Can someone please check this configuration?

Reaction score
I have a p3 standard with iPad mini 2, wifi only. I power up the transmitter, connect to phantom wifi, then connect the iPad mini via Bluetooth to iPhone hotspot. At times i receive the "ready to fly" message, but no battery data and no navigation data. I do get a live map on screen when this happens. After a while, I receive the battery readings and navigation data, the bird flies normally. I do not dare launch until everything looks normal on screen. I am not sure what is happening, but I would appreciate any troubleshooting help.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think what is happening, I have an iPad wifi only also, is you are disconnected to your P3S. You cannot be connected to a hotspot at the same time you are connected to the bird. The bird becomes your wifi. If you want the map, you need to cache it in the background before connecting to your bird. After connected to your P3S, you will have video output live on the screen. With not getting this, it makes me think you are not connected. Hope that helps. Make sure you read all the manuals and check out YouTube. They are great resources.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I think what is happening, I have an iPad wifi only also, is you are disconnected to your P3S. You cannot be connected to a hotspot at the same time you are connected to the bird. The bird becomes your wifi. If you want the map, you need to cache it in the background before connecting to your bird. After connected to your P3S, you will have video output live on the screen. With not getting this, it makes me think you are not connected. Hope that helps. Make sure you read all the manuals and check out YouTube. They are great resources.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I agree. Cache your maps in the background (I use google maps) and use only the iPad 2 mini. Leave your phone out of the mix, in airplane mode, away from you and the bird. My P3S does great with only wifi.

Reactions: Pharm
But he is connecting to Hot Spot with Bluetooth not WiFi. I think this is worked for others.
Rod

But he is connecting to Hot Spot with Bluetooth not WiFi. I think this is worked for others.
Rod

If so, I stand corrected. My iPad doesn't do well connected via Bluetooth to my phone and the Phantom. Not tech savvy, so I don't have a clue why they don't play well together with the GoApp.

I'm thinking this configuration is probably not compatible, although if it's possible, someone will surely chime in. I know my setup works best when my iPhone (as well as any spectator's phone) is off, in airplane mode, or away from the area.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Well I have tried my Asus Tab to my iPhone via Bluetooth, with of coarse no connection.:rolleyes:

I have the same setup except I don't connect via bluetooth to a hotspot or anywhere else. I start according to the manual : RC, then AC, then connect my ipad mini 2 via wifi. Off I go!

Yes, that is true.

I attempted the following last night to shoot some sunset pictures:
iPad 2 mini, bluetooth off
I left my apple watch and iPhone in the car about 20 feet away.
For the first 5 or so minutes, everything appeared normal. Then I started receiving persistent "Warning, string interference detected" messages, over again. I also received the "Weak Remote Controller" message multiple times.

Assuming these are coming from some external source, what do I need to look for?
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 4.05.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 4.05.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 4.06.12 PM.png

This is the only time I have every had a Interference warning.
A lot of WiFi routers in these buildings, and a cell tower pretty close.
Celltower.jpg
I will send a more stuff in a few..

Rod

If you were standing next to those two vehicles while flying, that will give strong magnetic interference with the r/c. Likewise, if the pic over the houses has you directly under the bird, it will display a weak signal. Directly overhead will usually do that with my Standard too. The antenna on the stock standard r/c is not the best in design either, so angle of the antenna is critical on signal strength. Just be mindful of antenna direction in relation to the bird, and move away from metal buildings or vehicles and see if that helps.

Reactions: gvsukids
I thought you might want to check out this plug in for google earth, you actually see Cell towers and microwave beams. The cell tower near my house is on there, the one near my store (work) is not.:rolleyes:
Anyways the one near work is at fire station, should still be on a FCC map.:eek:

Litchi and Radio Towers

Have you tried without using bluetooth? Does this only happen when linked with your phone or does it do it without it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you were standing next to those two vehicles while flying, that will give strong magnetic interference with the r/c. Likewise, if the pic over the houses has you directly under the bird, it will display a weak signal. Directly overhead will usually do that with my Standard too. The antenna on the stock standard r/c is not the best in design either, so angle of the antenna is critical on signal strength. Just be mindful of antenna direction in relation to the bird, and move away from metal buildings or vehicles and see if that helps.

Couple of good points, I can go straight up on mine 400', I usually don't to pay any attention to my antenna until I go a long ways horizontally. Weak 400' straight up probably, If RTH activates then something is wrong.

Rod

#11 says Bluetooth was off, but you got to make sure all the facts are strait!

For all you old timers.... Oerr..... I have two wifi routers at my house. I often get the interference warning when flying from my back yard. Would these routers cause that and even cause signal drop?

I attempted the following last night to shoot some sunset pictures:
iPad 2 mini, bluetooth off
I left my apple watch and iPhone in the car about 20 feet away.
For the first 5 or so minutes, everything appeared normal. Then I started receiving persistent "Warning, string interference detected" messages, over again. I also received the "Weak Remote Controller" message multiple times.

Assuming these are coming from some external source, what do I need to look for?
View attachment 61460 View attachment 61461 View attachment 61462

If you are flying from home try what I do, I unplug my house router. It is located in my garage near where I fly from.
I would get issues with my old P2vision plus so when I saw that interference message on my p3p.
I thought about router immediately, unplugged router and message gone!

I figure that it being so proximate, and its radio outputing full power, the wifi base signal just overwhelms the nearby RC receiver temporarily.
worth trying anyhow!

good luck and have fun flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4