Can I use a smartphone without a phone card?

Reaction score
I use an Android smartphone to phone, surf the Internet and also drive my P3 Pro.
I have problems with video feedback since the last version of DJI GO, problems that do not encounter smartphones users under iOS.
In general I wonder if it is possible to use a smartphone to drive a drone, without being obliged to subscribe a telephone card?
If this is the case, I would buy an "empty" (without recourse to a telephone company) phone, under iOS, dedicated to my drones.
So, to drive a P3 Pro, two questions:
- is it enough that the "empty" smartphone can search for Wifi networks?
- will the satellites be searched (for the location of the aircraft and radio control)?

I'm flying with a mobile device (tablet) and have no card inserted, just out of the box and downloaded some more apps.

Advantage: no one can call you on the device you drive your P3.

At home I switch on WiFi, load the map of the area I wanna fly and close the app but not shut down the device and close WiFi connection.
Out in the fields I always have plenty of satellites in access.

Reactions: musicjeremy
I'm flying with a mobile device (tablet) and have no card inserted, just out of the box and downloaded some more apps ...

Thank you very much for these very useful clarifications!
Do you also have the Litchi application?

Hi There
Yes I use an iPhone 5 without a sim card as a backup, display, no problems out in the field, and Litchi works great..:)
Waylander

I thought you need a cord for the pro and advanced? I thought it was a standard that you don't need a cord.

Yes that is correct, can't see who mentioned this in the thread though.

Reactions: Oso
Which iOS tablet do you use?
I have had no problems at all running any of the various apps on my wifi only iPad mini4. As others have said, load the map for the area you plan to fly when you have wifi and none needed when in the field. My tablets aren't GPS enabled so I can't do 'follow me' or reset the home point to the RC location. But I never use those functions anyway!
And to the second question in your initial post. No wifi or any cellular connection is required for the aircraft to access GPS. It has its own receiver.

I thought you need a cord for the pro and advanced? I thought it was a standard that you don't need a cord.
Yes, on the A and P, the RC is connected to the tablet by the USB cable. But that has nothing to do with not needing cellular service to use the device with the phantom.

Don't know if your regular phone (Android) has a Personal Hotspot, but if it does, you'd be able to log the iPhone into the Hotspot while in the field to load maps too.
I use an iPad Mini 3- wifi only version- and update my maps ,etc. with the Hotspot from my iPhone. Works like a charm.

Reactions: crash1sttime
Don't know if your regular phone (Android) has a Personal Hotspot, but if it does, you'd be able to log the iPhone into the Hotspot while in the field to load maps too.
I use an iPad Mini 3- wifi only version- and update my maps ,etc. with the Hotspot from my iPhone. Works like a charm.

Same for me as I can't afford an iPad with 3G :(

possible to use a smartphone to drive a drone, without ..telephone card?
** Yes its possible - but better & cheaper to use a tablet.

If this is the case, I would buy an "empty" (without phone SIM) phone, under iOS, dedicated to my drones.
** most of us prefer a mini iPad - with SIM option if you want GPS on that device, although mostly unnecessary.

So, to drive a P3 Pro, two questions:
- is it enough that the "empty" smartphone can search for Wifi networks?
** yes it will work, but go for iPad.

- will the satellites be searched (for the location of the aircraft and radio control)?
** only if iPad has SIM (then it has GPS), phone does so yes. Not needed though as GPS in drone is enough

My answers in above **

Don't know if your regular phone (Android) has a Personal Hotspot, but if it does, you'd be able to log the iPhone into the Hotspot while in the field to load maps too. I use an iPad Mini 3- wifi only version- and update my maps ,etc. with the Hotspot from my iPhone. Works like a charm.

My Samsung S6 Edge Plus is well capable of behaving like a hotspot, so yes, good idea for my future iPad to use it to update the local map. Thank you.

Android, Samsung S2 8"

My tablet Samsung Tab S2 (under Android) also gets pixels: it does not work!
DJI GO Before P4: the version 3.1.6 released on June 23, 2017 still does not fix the problem of pixelations in video feedback!
I will certainly switch to iOS, for example I will buy the new iPad 9.7 "(2017).

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers