Can I measure with a drone

Reaction score
Hi

Wanting to measure roof edges (gutter line) on a roof for bird spikes

Is there a way of doing this with a drone?

If you set one edge of the roof as the starting home point, your app will tell you the distance travelled to the other edge. Or just walk the distance off on the ground. Probably safer. ;)

Any of the mapping apps (Maps Made Easy, Drone Deploy) can create ortho maps on which you can measure distances. Accuracies down to an inch are reasonable.

Hi
Because of the variable error in GPS positions, you could end up +/- 3 metres so using the Phantom's telemetry isn't your best bet.
But I have used my Phantom to calculate the amount of turf I would require around the house.
I created an orthophoto of the house and surrounds using Dronedeploy and exported that to Google Earth Pro where I used the measuring tools to measure the areas of irregular shapes.

Because of the variable error in GPS positions, you could end up +/- 3 metres so using the Phantom's telemetry isn't your best bet.
But I have used my Phantom to calculate the amount of turf I would require around the house.
I created an orthophoto of the house and surrounds using Dronedeploy and exported that to Google Earth Pro where I used the measuring tools to measure the areas of irregular shapes.
You can do that directly using the polygon tool in Maps Made Easy.

I'm gonna get kicked off the forums for suggesting this but, Google Earth?

You can get pretty good results as long as the roof is not obstructed or the particular satellite photo is not blurry. Not convinced it's accurate enough for what the OP wants.

GE Pro is a great tool. I hope Google continue to maintain it and the underlying imagery.

Reactions: BigAl07
You can get pretty good results as long as the roof is not obstructed or the particular satellite photo is not blurry. Not convinced it's accurate enough for what the OP wants.

GE Pro is a great tool. I hope Google continue to maintain it and the underlying imagery.

I've also used MME for measuring several projects.

I too am a HUGE fan of GE Pro. Adding the sectional module really brings Airspace to 3D although it's not "current" and should only be used to "Entertainment" purposes.

Hi

Just a simple thought, but if you are on location just put an object in the shot of a known dimension. You can then measure the object in your footage and apply that to find actual length of anything in the shot.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik