Can i fly without data for my map?

Reaction score
I work as a cabin crew so naturally, my work brings me to various countries. I am thinking bringing my drone with me overseas to capture all the different sights from these different countries.

However i was wondering if having no 3g/4g data is gonna affect the way my drone flies. Usually, we would fly with a map on the app, without data, the map would not be there. So would it be able to still show the direction of the drone relative to the home point(even though there is no map overlaying the flight route)?

I work as a cabin crew so naturally, my work brings me to various countries. I am thinking bringing my drone with me overseas to capture all the different sights from these different countries.

However i was wondering if having no 3g/4g data is gonna affect the way my drone flies. Usually, we would fly with a map on the app, without data, the map would not be there. So would it be able to still show the direction of the drone relative to the home point(even though there is no map overlaying the flight route)?
Of course you can fly without map data, i sometimes forget to preload the map data. The Phantom3 is independent from the app, even without a display device it would know the home position. When you dont load the maps you will just see a grey map without details but you will see the same red triangle and where your phantom is in relation to you. You will also see the route in green lines just on an empty grey map.

Of course you can fly without map data, i sometimes forget to preload the map data. The Phantom3 is independent from the app, even without a display device it would know the home position. When you dont load the maps you will just see a grey map without details but you will see the same red triangle and where your phantom is in relation to you. You will also see the route in green lines just on an empty grey map.
Thanks for the helpful and speedy reply!

I had this problem today - there seems to be a bug where the home marker and location marker will just sit on top of each other regardless of where you fly if you can't load the map. However, you can always use the "radar" mode to see where it is in relation to you.

I had this problem today - there seems to be a bug where the home marker and location marker will just sit on top of each other regardless of where you fly if you can't load the map. However, you can always use the "radar" mode to see where it is in relation to you.

Please post the FW and DJI Go app version that causes this issue.

Please post the FW and DJI Go app version that causes this issue.

I'm still running the firmware the quad came with... 1.0.8 or something. I don't have it with me to check right now.
I'm also still using DJI Pilot 1.0.10

Try zooming in.

Reactions: Trumple
With that combination, unless I cached the map or left LTE access on while flying , I always had distance between HP and actual location but no map overlay.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj