Can I fly Phantom 4 in Cold winter weather?

Reaction score
Hi All:

I just purchased a Phantom 4 for my forthcoming trip in December/January to Iceland and Scandinavia. I have a few questions/concerns:
  1. The temperature in Iceland and Scandinavia end of December 2016/early January 2017 is supposed to be 20F. Can I safely fly the P4 in these weather conditions?
  2. Rain/snow is forecast when I am there. Is it safe to fly if it is snowing or raining?
  3. The P4 camera is rated for 32F - will the camera be OK if I fly it in 20F weather?
  4. Can I use the DJI GO app on my iPhone 6 Plus to control the P4, instead of the P4 RC as it is too big to be user friendly?
Any other flying/shooting tips for my trip would be very useful. FYI, this is my first drone and I have no experience in flying!

Thanks much!
Amar

The temperature in Iceland and Scandinavia end of December 2016/early January 2017 is supposed to be 20F. Can I safely fly the P4 in these weather conditions?
You shouldn't have a problem if you keep the batteries warm prior to flying. Expect shorter flight times though.

Rain/snow is forecast when I am there. Is it safe to fly if it is snowing or raining?
No.

The P4 camera is rated for 32F - will the camera be OK if I fly it in 20F weather?
Yes.

Can I use the DJI GO app on my iPhone 6 Plus to control the P4, instead of the P4 RC as it is too big to be user friendly?
No.

Any other flying/shooting tips for my trip would be very useful.
You can find some helpful cold weather flying tips here, here, and here.

Reactions: Alba52
Here's my list of tips:

Make sure you check the local regulations for drone flying in the countries you plan to fly in. You might want to get a drone vinyl wrap that's a dark color so you can see it better if you plan to fly in areas with snow on the ground. With the drone being white, that may hinder things.

Practice, practice, practice, before your trip. Use the simulator in the GO app to learn reverse navigation (controls are backwards when flying toward yourself) good enough to be 2nd nature (really important).

Buy 6X of the 32GB SD cards. When I travel that number of cards seem to work good for me. Get a good SD card holder, that helps to organize things. Also, get yourself a Windsurfer for those times you want to fly a little farther.

Practice using RTH. Set the preset elevation to 350' as the default. Make sure you know how to enable RTH and disengage RTH to retake control.

As a beginner, don't fly in winds more than 10mph. With experience the P4 can handle 20-25mph safely, but as a novice I don't advise more than 10mph on this first trip.

Have a way to dump your SD card video to a laptop for storage. You may want to consider signing up to a cloud storage service for nighttime uploading your video, as backup. This really depends on how important your videos will be. Google offers 100GB for $2/mo with their Google Drive product.

I'm envious of your trip, sounds like a great time with a drone.

Hi All:

I just purchased a Phantom 4 for my forthcoming trip in December/January to Iceland and Scandinavia. I have a few questions/concerns:
  1. The temperature in Iceland and Scandinavia end of December 2016/early January 2017 is supposed to be 20F. Can I safely fly the P4 in these weather conditions?
  2. Rain/snow is forecast when I am there. Is it safe to fly if it is snowing or raining?
  3. The P4 camera is rated for 32F - will the camera be OK if I fly it in 20F weather?
  4. Can I use the DJI GO app on my iPhone 6 Plus to control the P4, instead of the P4 RC as it is too big to be user friendly?
Any other flying/shooting tips for my trip would be very useful. FYI, this is my first drone and I have no experience in flying!

Thanks much!
Amar

I live in Norway and fly my P4 regardless of what the temperature is at. I flew in -10 Celsius (That being around 14-15F i think..) a couple of weeks back. I also flown in light snow conditions without any problems. But like others have mentioned, make sure to keep your batteries warm prior to flying, and do expect a little less time in the air, as the batteries wear faster.

Oh and there is one more thing. You said you were going to Scandinavia. Sweden has (sadly enough) recently made some regulations to drone flying, prohibition flying camera drones without licence. Basically this means you won't be able to fly there legally unless its work and you have a licence. Dont know if you are going to Sweden, just thought i mention it.

Last edited:
Hi All:

As mentioned, it's the batteries that matter the most. The DJI app will give you a warning if they are not at least 25C. The app won't allow the motors to start if the batter is 20C or lower (I think I have those temps correct). As the battery being used it should get much warmer.

I live in Norway and fly my P4 regardless of what the temperature is at. I flew in -10 Celsius (That being around 14-15F i think..) a couple of weeks back. I also flown in light snow conditions without any problems. But like others have mentioned, make sure to keep your batteries warm prior to flying, and do expect a little less time in the air, as the batteries wear faster.

Oh and there is one more thing. You said you were going to Scandinavia. Sweden has (sadly enough) recently made some regulations to drone flying, prohibition flying camera drones without licence. Basically this means you won't be able to fly there legally unless its work and you have a licence. Dont know if you are going to Sweden, just thought i mention it.

Eu companies may fly in Sweden if they got no structure there. ..and there is no such thing as licence. However, a permission from the transport authority is needed.. But on the other hand who cares in the forest if you dont scare people or intrude in MSA/TMa or other aviation zones. A new EU directive and regulation will be out by 2018..Don't know for Norway but theae folks seem to be more reasonable..

Reactions: Tommy Iversen
Hi All:

Thanks much!
Amar
batteries go weaker and consume fast in extreme chilly conditions because of lithium polymer make and dries more rapidly in cold environment.

I've flown my P4 in 26 degree temps, coldest so far since I bought my P4. I have flown my previous Phantoms, a P3S and P3A as low as 16F.. I plan to fly my P4 in cold temps as long as I can handle it.

I've also flown in light snow with no issues...

A couple things I do when it it is cold;
  • Ensure my batteries are "warm", room/car/inside jacket pocket
  • I get closer to what I want to "shoot". I don't fly as far away
  • I cut my flights shorter or ensure I start home sooner

Hi All:

Thanks much!
Amar

Thanks John! Appreciate your tips - very useful. I will need to get the practice thing done ASAP before I head out! I was looking at the weather forecast...and it is supposed to rain/snow most of the days :(. Any tips for flying under these weather conditions? I know that the P4 is not water proof, but can I take the risk under light rain or snow? What about flying in the night? I may have only 4/5 hours of daylight, if that. Also, can I risk flying this from the boat that I plan on taking to see the Fjords in Bergen/Norway?

Appreciate your advice in advance! Thanks!
Amar

Thanks Tommy! Yes, I plan to visit Stockholm...that's a bummer. I have registered the drone with the FAA here in the States - does that count?

Would you recommend getting a license? I will be in Stockholm only for 2 days. How about in Iceland, Norway, and Denmark - any license requirements?

Amar

Thanks Tommy! Yes, I plan to visit Stockholm...that's a bummer. I have registered the drone with the FAA here in the States - does that count?

Would you recommend getting a license? I will be in Stockholm only for 2 days. How about in Iceland, Norway, and Denmark - any license requirements?

Amar

Like IBV mentioned here, its more about a permission from the transport authority. Whether the registration with the FAA in the States will count or not, i´m not sure. Now, the reason for the prohibition has nothing to do with safety or anything like that, its all about privacy, so its the camera that makes the flying "forbidden", not the drone itself. That being said, i belive most swedes that already has a drone, flies regardless of the new rules. Unlike the States, there are no "drone hunters" in Scandinavia and most of the authorities are quite "relaxed" when it comes to enforcing the rules and regulations, as long as you use common sense and stay clear of highly populated areas.

Norway, Denmark and Iceland are all good. You can fly pretty much everywhere as long as you stay clear of airports (5km rule apply), stay below 120m/400ft and keep LOS. Basically pretty much the same rules as in most of the modern world.

Anyway, have a nice trip. Hopefully, and most likely, you will not encounter any problems flying your drone in Scandinavia.

Reactions: Alba52 and Neon Euc
Like IBV mentioned here, its more about a permission from the transport authority. Whether the registration with the FAA in the States will count or not, i´m not sure. Now, the reason for the prohibition has nothing to do with safety or anything like that, its all about privacy, so its the camera that makes the flying "forbidden", not the drone itself. That being said, i belive most swedes that already has a drone, flies regardless of the new rules. Unlike the States, there are no "drone hunters" in Scandinavia and most of the authorities are quite "relaxed" when it comes to enforcing the rules and regulations, as long as you use common sense and stay clear of highly populated areas.

Norway, Denmark and Iceland are all good. You can fly pretty much everywhere as long as you stay clear of airports (5km rule apply), stay below 120m/400ft and keep LOS. Basically pretty much the same rules as in most of the modern world.

Anyway, have a nice trip. Hopefully, and most likely, you will not encounter any problems flying your drone in Scandinavia.

I agree. There will be no record of drones for christmas over here despite the new rule. Keep away from airports, crowds and people... Enjoy your trip.

Thanks Tommy! Any special tips for shooting the northern lights using my P4? Especially in terms of camera settings and flying parameters? Also, we plan to go on the ATV ride - is the 'Active Track' mode the best? Or is it 'Follow Me'....I am assuming that we will not be going too fast for the P4.

Any flying tips are appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks Tommy! Any special tips for shooting the northern lights using my P4? Especially in terms of camera settings and flying parameters? Also, we plan to go on the ATV ride - is the 'Active Track' mode the best? Or is it 'Follow Me'....I am assuming that we will not be going too fast for the P4.

Any flying tips are appreciated!

Thanks

I found that the P4 captures the northern light quite beautifully on standard camera settings (just go as high as you dare :) but there are probably some experts here that can give you some pointers that I can´t. Regarding active track vs follow me mode, i have for the most part been using the Litchi app witch litchi leash, and found it to be working quite well. I´m not sure how familiar you are with the 3rd app Litchi, but here is a video on the litchi leash anyway :
In DJI app, my experience is that the active track still needs some work as it tends to lose its way quite easy. Follow me mode works better, but then you will need the controller with you. With Litchi, you only need your phone in the pocket. There is a lot of information and youtube videos online, witch can give you better information then i can, so have a look :) Good luck, and post back to me if you encounter any problems and i will try to help as best i can.

Hi All:

Thanks much!
Amar
Im Canadian and it's a balmy -10c today 14f and going down to -29c (-20f) tomorrow night. Started cold weather flight testing today with my P4 with all updates. Only a short 9 minute flight because it was dark out. Started at 98% battery and 21c for the craft and battery. Took off slow and flew easy for the first 2 minutes and the battery climbed in temp to 28c. Flew the next 7 minutes in s mode around my field not maxed out all the time but moving along at around 80% throttle most of the time and the battery climbed to 32c and all was as usual, flew like a charm. After 9 minutes of flight and a decent battery temp I landed at 63% battery. So at -10c flight time is pretty much the same for me. I should be able to get a flight in at about -15c tomorrow afternoon before the temp drops weather permitting. Will do a longer continuous flight at a higher altitude , I'm pretty sure my time will drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBV and Alba52
Im Canadian and it's a balmy -10c today 14f and going down to -29c (-20f) tomorrow night. Started cold weather flight testing today with my P4 with all updates. Only a short 9 minute flight because it was dark out. Started at 98% battery and 21c for the craft and battery. Took off slow and flew easy for the first 2 minutes and the battery climbed in temp to 28c. Flew the next 7 minutes in s mode around my field not maxed out all the time but moving along at around 80% throttle most of the time and the battery climbed to 32c and all was as usual, flew like a charm. After 9 minutes of flight and a decent battery temp I landed at 63% battery. So at -10c flight time is pretty much the same for me. I should be able to get a flight in at about -15c tomorrow afternoon before the temp drops weather permitting. Will do a longer continuous flight at a higher altitude , I'm pretty sure my time will drop.
I guess your fingers freeze way before the P4..:)

As mentioned, it's the batteries that matter the most. The DJI app will give you a warning if they are not at least 25C. The app won't allow the motors to start if the batter is 20C or lower (I think I have those temps correct). As the battery being used it should get much warmer.
16c. Very frustrating. But I found that if you are trying to coordinate with an event like a race start, just burn off 10% and the battery will hold temp for at least 15 minutes. Just keep it powered up and watch the batt temp.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I guess your fingers freeze way before the P4..:)
You got that right! yesterday at -10 wasn't to bad because there was no wind but last week at -5 and windy for a 18 minute flight at one point I considered RTH because I could not feel the sticks any more. Made it home with stinging fingers. I have 12 volt heated glove liners I use for snowmobiling that I will use for my next flight, they are thin and light and very warm but not good in the wind as they are just liners.

Is there any permanent damage to the batteries when you use and fly them in these (-10C) temperatures or is the drainage completely temporary? I would really like to be able to shoot in as low as -15C. The camera needs to handle this too. Will of course keep the batteries warm, I'll stuff them down my pants for 20 minutes if need be.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj