can I fly here or need authorization ( commercial)

Reaction score
A little bit confused, can I fly here (arrow) close to this class E airport ( Ocean Reef Pvt) ? I will be well below 400 feet which is class G, isn't it? what does the "O6" mean? does it change the floor of the class E at 700 feet? Thanks in advance for your your clarifications.

SkyVector__Flight_Planning final.jpg

The title of your post implys that you have obtained a Part 107 Certification and you wish to conduct a flight in the area that your arrow point is indicating, under Part 107 Rules and Regulations.
If that is true, lets take this one thing at a time.

First of all, for this conversation, there are no classes of airports. An airport is an airport. There are only Classes of Airspace.
An airport will be located with-in one Class of Airspace or another, and can be enclosed with-in multiple Classes of Airspace, depending on hours of operation and/or types of approaches into the airport.

In the case of Ocean Reef Club Airport, it is surrounded by Class E airspace. The Class E bottom is at 700 AGL & the top is at 14,500 MSL.
From 699" AGL and below, with-in the Class E boundry surrounding the airport, the Airspace is Class G - Uncontrolled.

The 06 is the MEF for that quadrant. The MEF is the Maximum Elevation Figure, and represents the height of the highest natural or man-made feature with-in the quadrant. A quadrant is 30 Minutes of Latitude by 30 Minutes of Longitude. The heights are shown in feet, so 06 is 600' MSL.
The MEF includes a small safety margin. It is provided so a pilot, who is experiencing instrument, mechanical or other on-board failures, knows that if he maintains the MEF as a minimum, he will have terrain/obstacle clearance, while he attends to his other emergencies.

I commend you for referring to a Sectional chart for your flight planning. I urge you to continue to study Airspace & Regulations, well beyond the anemic minimum the FAA required of you, to pass the Part 107.

Here is a link to the FAA Chart User's Guide to assist you in learning all of the chart symbology that is used.
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf

Reactions: AmbitDrone
To expand on Crack The Sky's post, the only time this would change is if it is a Class E ("Echo") surface area. In which case you would need ATC authorization in order to fly.

To expand on Crack The Sky's post, the only time this would change is if it is a Class E ("Echo") surface area. In which case you would need ATC authorization in order to fly.
If it was Class E Surface, ATC cannot give you authorization to fly for a Part 107 operation. That would require an FAA Authorization/Waiver to be filed & approved. Also, Class E Surface would not be the "only" time this would change. It could be Class D around a smaller airport, or even Class B or C Surface, around the larger ones. All of those would require an FAA Authorization/Waiver and approval, for a Part 107 entry.

Reactions: sar104
If it was Class E Surface, ATC cannot give you authorization to fly for a Part 107 operation. That would require an FAA Authorization/Waiver to be filed & approved. Also, Class E Surface would not be the "only" time this would change. It could be Class D around a smaller airport, or even Class B or C Surface, around the larger ones. All of those would require an FAA Authorization/Waiver and approval, for a Part 107 entry.

That's essentially what I was saying, if it's Class E Surface, it requires ATC approval, which must be granted via the FAA and it's Authorization/Waiver process.

That's essentially what I was saying, if it's Class E Surface, it requires ATC approval, which must be granted via the FAA and it's Authorization/Waiver process.
ATC is Air Traffic Control. Those are the folks in an airport Tower, ARTCC, (Air Route Traffic Control Center), Approach/Departure Control, or a couple of other types of en-route Controlling Centers.
ATC is in the field, in the moment, Air Traffic Control. They can only issue Clearances, not Waivers.
The FAA issues Waivers. An FAA FSDO, (Flight Safety District Office) reviews the submitted Waiver plan and makes recommendations to the FAA home office.
The FSDO may consult with a tower operations administrator when reviewing the Waiver, but I would find it unlikely that ATC has a say in the final determination.

Last edited by a moderator:
ATC is Air Traffic Control. Those are the folks in an airport Tower, ARTCC, (Air Route Traffic Control Center), Approach/Departure Control, or a couple of other types of en-route Controlling Centers.
ATC is in the field, in the moment, Air Traffic Control. They can only issue Clearances, not Waivers.
The FAA issues Waivers. An FAA FSDO, (Flight Safety District Office) reviews the submitted Waiver plan and makes recommendations to the FAA home office.
The FSDO may consult with a tower operations administrator when reviewing the Waiver, but I would find it unlikely that ATC has a say in the final determination.

And it's an important distinction to make for a couple of reasons: firstly, the fact that under Part 101 rules one does contact any ATC (tower) within 5 miles and, secondly, the idea that one can get permission to fly in controlled airspace, under Part 107, from the local ATC is apparently a common misconception, or at least common mis-statement of the rules.

One other distinction. Though the process is similar, getting a waiver is different from getting an airspace authorization from the FAA. A waiver is a request for the FAA to waive one of the Part 107 rules for a specific flight operation or operations. An authorization is a request to fly in controlled airspace.

One other distinction. Though the process is similar, getting a waiver is different from getting an airspace authorization from the FAA. A waiver is a request for the FAA to waive one of the Part 107 rules for a specific flight operation or operations. An authorization is a request to fly in controlled airspace.

Actually you can apply for an authorization or a waiver to fly in controlled airspace.

But because his map clearly points out he's in a Class E airspace with a FL of 700 ft, therefore any airspace below that is Class G and no authorization or waiver is needed.

And one other thing to point out on your sectional map provided, you are pointing to an area that is close to a solid magenta line which is a Class C airspace. You cross that line while flying you will need authorization/approval. So it's important to be mindful of your co-ordinance when flying the UA.

And one other thing to point out on your sectional map provided, you are pointing to an area that is close to a solid magenta line which is a Class C airspace. You cross that line while flying you will need authorization/approval. So it's important to be mindful of your co-ordinance when flying the UA.

That's a Mode C Veil, not Class C airspace. sUAS operations are exempt from Mode C requirements.

But because his map clearly points out he's in a Class E airspace with a FL of 700 ft, therefore any airspace below that is Class G and no authorization or waiver is needed.
That is my point. It seems I don't need any authorization as I will be in class G airspace flying below 400 feet. So, do I need or not authorization?

That is my point. It seems I don't need any authorization as I will be in class G airspace flying below 400 feet. So, do I need or not authorization?

No - you are flying Part 107 so the answers above are correct on that - you are in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace, under 700 ft Class E airspace. Since you will not exceed 400 ft AGL, you will not leave Class G airspace and do not need an authorization or waiver.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
As sar104 correctly pointed out, the solid magenta line is the Miami, (MIA) Mode C Veil, and not an Airspace Classification at all.
Also, Miami, (MIA) Airspace is not Class C, it is Class B, with it's outer most ring beginning approximately 17 sm NNE from Ocean Reef Club airport.
The closest "controlled airspace",(discounting the Class E at 700' AGL), to the indicated location that this person wishes to fly, is only 2 sm NNE of Ocean Reef Club airport; Biscayne National Park.
Remain mindful of coordinates, not co-ordinance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to be honest here and tell you that I find it distressing, that you claim to have a Part 107 Certificate, and cannot determine whether you need a Waiver/Authorization to fly the area you indicated, even after my simple & thoughtful clarification.

I have to be honest here and tell you that I find it distressing, that you claim to have a Part 107 Certificate, and cannot determine whether you need a Waiver/Authorization to fly the area you indicated, even after my simple & thoughtful clarification.
Well...I appreciate your explanations. It is the first time I will fly close to an airport and I wanted to be sure... that is.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik