Can DJI's new firmware be used to prevent fly aways?

Reaction score
The new firmware allows you to set caps on height and distance from you. Does anyone know if this can be used to prevent flyaways? That is to say, can you tell the software that you don't want the drone to go more than 500 feet from you and if it does--initiate RTH? I really hope this is the case.

I think the best you can hope for is that if it does flyaway, it won't go outside of your "cylinder" and so at least you'll know what area to search for it in. I really haven't heard of a flyaway for a while now, but if it does happen, I'm not sure the phantom cares about the limits you set up for it anymore, something else is on its mind! :lol:

notsojazzyjeff said:
The new firmware allows you to set caps on height and distance from you. Does anyone know if this can be used to prevent flyaways? That is to say, can you tell the software that you don't want the drone to go more than 500 feet from you and if it does--initiate RTH? I really hope this is the case.

Nope and.... Nope !!

The ringfence feature has been around since v4.00 (which had a bug in it so it didn't work :roll:)
It will NOT initiate RTH but it WILL stop you flying any further (or higher) than you set in the Naza assist software.

Flyaways I'm afraid will not be prevented by this feature since once a 'true' flyaway starts the FC does not obey any GPS or ringfence data.

mcmax20 said:
I really haven't heard of a flyaway for a while now, but if it does happen

What does this statement mean? Are flyaways really less common? Full disclosure: I don't actually have a Phantom, but according to my amazon tracking info I should have one when I get home today. I've been researching info on flyaways online all day today and if you go by the stories out there on the web you could easily come to the conclusion that half of all phantoms just take off, never to be heard from again. If flyaways are really less commonplace then they used to be then DJI has HORRIBLE people in charge of PR and damage control. :mrgreen:

I'm usually reading about the P2's and flyways are not common. It was mainly original phantoms that suffered from this, I think even the 1.1.1's had a much better track record. They were a problem for a while but I think since some time late last year or early 2014 a firmware update changed that. You might want to check the dates of the "stories" on the web, lots of other posts on here about that too.

DJI seem to be good at building and selling but PR, HR, and anything having to do with its customers has a long way to go. People are still buying though...

Don't know about the fly aways, but I can attest to the fact that the cylinder limits work. I have a DSLRPro's rig so I am using the Futaba tx/rx and a diversity FPV system. I tested the limits of the FPV system and flew away 4,000 feet and hit my programmed limit. I increased my limit to a mile (5,249 feet) and flew away and hit that limit as well. It's like you hit a wall. It stops in place. If you push forward on the stick, it won't do anything. But you can turn, go left, right, or backwards, just not passed the limit.

Rmag said:
Don't know about the fly aways, but I can attest to the fact that the cylinder limits work. I have a DSLRPro's rig so I am using the Futaba tx/rx and a diversity FPV system. I tested the limits of the FPV system and flew away 4,000 feet and hit my programmed limit. I increased my limit to a mile (5,249 feet) and flew away and hit that limit as well. It's like you hit a wall. It stops in place. If you push forward on the stick, it won't do anything. But you can turn, go left, right, or backwards, just not passed the limit.

Hmmm...I think that may be helpful. I heard that is easy for beginners to get the controls turned around or thrown off and let it drift farther away than they want to a point that it can be hard to bring back. A small cyclider might act as training wheels for my first couple flights. Also good if you want to fly near the ocean an you don't want it to go over water.

I just wanted to chime in, a bit off topic, buy I also was scared ( crapless ) when I started reading about MANY fly-a-ways, as I had just bought my P2V, right before I found out about the fly-a-ways. So I did the next best thing, I bought a $40 personal GPS TRACKER, and mounted it on my phantom ( pic below ) I'm in Sarasota, FL., It costs me $25 to activate ( I chose pay as you go, costs me $2 for 24 hour service( per day ) only charged the days I actually use it, but you can pay by the month, ect. It is nice, as you can track the phantom ( as long as the battery is on and working ) but as we all know ( 30 minutes after take-off, your battery is most likely dead ) this tracker stays on for up to 72 hours on 1 charge, giving you a few days to find it, not that you would need it but you call it up with your cell phone, and it sends you coordinates, and it is waterproof up to certain meter ( can't remember but I think it is 10 meters ? ) so for $65 bucks you have one heck of an insurance plan!
Just a thought!

Here is a pic:
42EF6CEE-7382-488B-9373-99B7C09E48EC_zpsdeqaceer.jpg

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Jerry,

Where did you get THAT tracker? I've done a bit of reading on them, and use the TK102 on my Phantom, but have never heard of this one. And in a slick looking DJI-branded pocket??

Yes! I also purchased a TK102b, but it won't be here in time for my first flight. I got an adapter so i could put my iPhone sim in, but I'm going to need my wife or a friends phone I'm order call it :lol: . As a back up I also got one of those free H20 wireless sims off Amazon that I can activate later if borrowing phones gets too annoying. ...ANYWAY where do I get the orange DJI bag???

You can not say if you will have a fly away or not, no matter what program that DJI put in to try and stop them there is to much going on in the atmosphere to say what will happen at any time, you have only got to look at you satellite TV to see what I mean. All we can do is to keep in range to prevent it and check your equipment regularly.

The only potential case the ringfence would affect seems to be an rx/tx fault flyaway, in which the Phantom still has control of attitude but thinks it's getting a command to fly past the fence.

If you have a gyro/gps/compass failure, the phantom may be trying to hold position or come back to you, but what the FC thinks is a hover may a full-tilt sideways run. The fence doesn't help in that case.

Hello,
I also use the TK102b tracker ( not sure what the ( b ) is for ?
Anyhow, I hand made the saddlebag, out of orange leatherette, a bit crude up close, but looks nice, my next one will
Be better, more accurate cuts, and plastic buttons ( not metal ) and a bit less bulky around edges, as for the logo, I had stickers on it, but they did not match, so I cut it out with razor knife ! Ultimately turned out pretty nice for a prototype! Lol,
Here are a couple more pics:

DE9DDD7C-58C7-46E7-B7FB-A836D26E5678_zpsbtjaxytq.jpg

A88AB77A-9FB9-4674-900C-123EF21C36EC_zps8xlrrluy.jpg

3A1B3F46-399C-4B42-B5D6-498A138A857C_zpsshuz0gfr.jpg

876A39BA-B90E-484C-891E-E9D6D0BC116D_zpsz7jjleoo.jpg

Hope this helps
NOTE: I originally used Velcro tape ( sticks great to P2V ) but the gps trackers come packed with Talcom powder on them, I tried washing it, but Velcro does not stick well to the tracker, after about 10 minutes the tracker would separate from the Velcro tape and fall off, I did not want my tracker falling 500feet to its doom, so I made the bag!
Only faults I noticed;
1) metal buttons ( COULD POSSIBLY. ) Interfere with magnetic compass ( precautionary measure )
2) the extra weight one one side works the 2 motors ( same side ) a bit harder, I noticed the motors were a bit hotter one that side than other 2 on compass side ( not much, but noticeably warmer ) I'm personally not sure if this was the wisest of decisions? But my new version with Plastic buttons, might work better, so I can swap left or right, assuming the tracker itself does not mess up compass cal.? Please use your own judgement, in doing this mod!
Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31