Can anyone figure out why my car charger isn't working?

Reaction score
Even after I put the .bin in be root! ;)

So I bought a 130 watt car charger to charge my solitary battery on the road. The problem is, it starts working and then turns off..... Then starts working and turns off. My battery is roughly half full, so when I plug it in, it does LED 1 then LED 2, LED 1 LED 2... It does the combination three times and then completely shuts down. Then starts back up again. I'm getting no other LEDs (like a warm battery warning) just that. I don't want to mess up my only battery... do you think it's this charger? Should I have a specific wattage?

Thanks in advance...

Need at least a 200w

Ahhhhh! Well thank you very much sir. I looked everywhere on the manual... where did you find this number?!??

When I charge a battery is starts off around 125w to 130w. So this is probably why it's shutting down. Also, you need to have your vehicle running as your vehicle battery could be a little low. I'm able to charge a battery most of the time with the engine off but sometimes it trips the charger off as the vehicle battery drops a little.

Ahhhhh! Well thank you very much sir. I looked everywhere on the manual... where did you find this number?!??

Not in the manual but do know a 200w power inverter is about the smallest you should use.

Actually I just turned on my car and it works perfectly... so I guess 130w works, it'll just be a bit slower?

The charger needs 1.4 amp at 118 volts which works out to be 165.2w

Tho the output of 17.4vdc at a peak of 5.7a means it puts out 99.17999W

So a 100 watt ac inverter is sort of pushing it a bit and more then likely whats happening is the inverter is a 100wattt with a surge peak of probably around 180-200 watts. Then if its more then certain amount of time the inverters over currant is probably kicking in and shutting its self down.

And the reason why its probably working better when the car is running is because with the car running its able to deliver dc voltage of at least 14.4 volts dc instead of 12 or 13 volts. from the battery directly. So the inverter dont need to draw so many watts when its running. and as the changer gets some charge in the battery the watts start to taper down and down intill its done charging.

I have been watching the numbers on my 400w inverter thats in my portable power pack That has a watt meter in to to show how many watts are being drawn. once about the first part of the first bar on the battery is charged it starts dropping to about 90 watts then 80 by the time its getting near to having the second bar lit and then 70watts once its past 50% charged. Then down to 60w

So you can get away with using only a 100 watt inverter but your going to be taxing the heck out of it for the first part of the charge if trying to charge a fully drained battery. So a 200 watt inverter or more would be best. esp if you also want to charge other things like your tablet or what ever at the same time. While waiting for the p3 battery to charge.

also probably a very good idea to keep your car running being most car battery's are not deep cycle battery's and drawing that amount of amp draw on a small car battery will not only drain your car battery pretty fast they also dont like having deep discharges and can kill a car battery in as few as 20 deep cycles if its not a deep cycle battery. most car battery's are starting battery's and the plates are made to put out a lot of amps for a small duration of time when you are cranking the starter. But not so good for long periods of draw and it can start shredding the plates. So if some one is ever planing on needing to do a lot of field charging from a 12v battery it very well might be a good idea to look in to getting a good deep cycle battery and drag that along so you are not wreaking your cars battery and electrical system.

The charger needs 1.4 amp at 118 volts which works out to be 165.2w

Tho the output of 17.4vdc at a peak of 5.7a means it puts out 99.17999W

So a 100 watt ac inverter is sort of pushing it a bit and more then likely whats happening is the inverter is a 100wattt with a surge peak of probably around 180-200 watts. Then if its more then certain amount of time the inverters over currant is probably kicking in and shutting its self down.

And the reason why its probably working better when the car is running is because with the car running its able to deliver dc voltage of at least 14.4 volts dc instead of 12 or 13 volts. from the battery directly. So the inverter dont need to draw so many watts when its running. and as the changer gets some charge in the battery the watts start to taper down and down intill its done charging.

I have been watching the numbers on my 400w inverter thats in my portable power pack That has a watt meter in to to show how many watts are being drawn. once about the first part of the first bar on the battery is charged it starts dropping to about 90 watts then 80 by the time its getting near to having the second bar lit and then 70watts once its past 50% charged. Then down to 60w

So you can get away with using only a 100 watt inverter but your going to be taxing the heck out of it for the first part of the charge if trying to charge a fully drained battery. So a 200 watt inverter or more would be best. esp if you also want to charge other things like your tablet or what ever at the same time. While waiting for the p3 battery to charge.

also probably a very good idea to keep your car running being most car battery's are not deep cycle battery's and drawing that amount of amp draw on a small car battery will not only drain your car battery pretty fast they also dont like having deep discharges and can kill a car battery in as few as 20 deep cycles if its not a deep cycle battery. most car battery's are starting battery's and the plates are made to put out a lot of amps for a small duration of time when you are cranking the starter. But not so good for long periods of draw and it can start shredding the plates. So if some one is ever planing on needing to do a lot of field charging from a 12v battery it very well might be a good idea to look in to getting a good deep cycle battery and drag that along so you are not wreaking your cars battery and electrical system.
Hands down your best post to date.

It would be really nice if DJI would build a dedicated 12V charger for the P3 similar to the P2 one. Much more efficient than doing a DC-AC-DC conversion.

It would be really nice if DJI would build a dedicated 12V charger for the P3 similar to the P2 one. Much more efficient than doing a DC-AC-DC conversion.

QX4y5PwxvkxJ.jpg

Reactions: ctp
mabye you can use some 12V to 17V laptop car charger ?

if you use a 12 to 230V inverter I woud recommend a pure sine wave inverter they are expensive
but they are more reliable and better for your equipment. Otherwise you mabye damge your battery !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic