Can an aircraft close by cause GPS no fly failsafe?

Reaction score
I'm out in Breckenridge, CO and launched my Phantom 2 today and ran into a problem. I just went straight up about 70 meters and I was going to turn it 360 for a pan view and all of the sudden it went into the no fly failsafe GPS home. Right as this was happening a small airplane flew overhead somewhat low altitude but not anywhere near the height of my Phantom. The failsafe was the same as if I was in the 5 mile radius of an airport, but the closest small airport is 35 miles away. So I'm wondering if an airplane is close enough to the Phantom does it emit a signal like airports that cause a no fly failsafe?

trance728 said:
I'm out in Breckenridge, CO and launched my Phantom 2 today and ran into a problem. I just went straight up about 70 meters and I was going to turn it 360 for a pan view and all of the sudden it went into the no fly failsafe GPS home. Right as this was happening a small airplane flew overhead somewhat low altitude but not anywhere near the height of my Phantom. The failsafe was the same as if I was in the 5 mile radius of an airport, but the closest small airport is 35 miles away. So I'm wondering if an airplane is close enough to the Phantom does it emit a signal like airports that cause a no fly failsafe?

Sounds like a coincidence...

trance728 said:

An airport does not emit a signal that would cause no fly, it's based upon the software DJI has built in and it knowing where you are based upon GPS. I agree with other post probably a coincidence.

I can't imagine how the aircraft could make you lose GPS. GPS uses several satellites and even if the plane managed to momentarily block the signal, it shouldn't have caused a problem.

Plus, the RF signals generated by the satellites are meant to cover large areas. So, it isn't a microwave type signal, which can be interrupted. I don't see how there is any connection.

trance728 said:
Actually, the nearest airport is Leadville, CO - the highest airport in the USA, about ten miles from Breckenridge. I flew my Cessna there a few years ago to go to a wedding in Breckenridge - I wish that I had brought my Ox bottle from the plane.
The answer to your question is, no. If the Phantom loses R/C connection for three (I think it's 3) seconds, it goes into FailSafe - return to home and land. The no-fly is simply an altitude limit. Nothing happens, you just can't go any higher. I am not sure what happens if you fly into the airport no-fly range. But no small General Aviation airports are in the no-fly database.

Breckenridge used to have an airport, but it's a shopping center now.

I have personally talked with someone that was flying near a the Stealth B2 bomber and it appears that it does jamb 5.8 frequency... Take that for what its worth.

Edit... He was flying 2.4 spektrum tx.

It's got to be the fact that you flew straight up.
When you want to fly straight up, make sure you tilt the antena so that it is NOT pointing at the phantom. There is a dead spot there - it's really more of a dead cone. More info on this It should be in the manual. I'm pretty sure its in there. Anyway, others can explain in more detail (I've gotta run), but I'm pretty sure that's what happened to you.

Now I'm back home and was flying near the beach yesterday and it went into failsafe again for no apparent reason. I was flying following my buddy running on the beach and when it got about 100 yards away and maybe 30 feet up it switched into failsafe showing GPS Home on my monitor, had to switch to ATTI to take back control. I'm going out to an open field today to do a bunch of tests and see if I can reproduce it and see what conditions are surrounding that. I'll play with the direction the antennae is facing too.

I recently painted it but I can't see that having this effect since it was just normal spray paint, not metallic or lead and there are lot of other painted ones with no problems.

trance728 said:
Now I'm back home and was flying near the beach yesterday and it went into failsafe again for no apparent reason. I was flying following my buddy running on the beach and when it got about 100 yards away and maybe 30 feet up it switched into failsafe showing GPS Home on my monitor, had to switch to ATTI to take back control. I'm going out to an open field today to do a bunch of tests and see if I can reproduce it and see what conditions are surrounding that. I'll play with the direction the antennae is facing too.

I recently painted it but I can't see that having this effect since it was just normal spray paint, not metallic or lead and there are lot of other painted ones with no problems.

did you ever crash? I am wondering if you have a cracked GPS module.

I would also see if your wires are all tightly connected...

I have run into interference situations flying in my neighborhood where it appears one neighbor has a wifi setup that would run a small convention center... but it only causes a very brief hesitation when it happens (I never fully lose control and it doesn't start heading home).

Nope never been crashed and I even hand catch all of my landings, its only a few months old. My first one had a bad GPS that wouldn't even let me fly it but the replacement is fine other than these strange failsafe occurrences. When I launched it yesterday it had a lock on 9 satellites although I didn't see how many it said when it went into failsafe.

trance728 said:
Nope never been crashed and I even hand catch all of my landings, its only a few months old. My first one had a bad GPS that wouldn't even let me fly it but the replacement is fine other than these strange failsafe occurrences. When I launched it yesterday it had a lock on 9 satellites although I didn't see how many it said when it went into failsafe.

well... which failsafe is it doing? Go home? or land? I think you mentioned go home? - If it's that... I'm guessing it has GPS fix... which would start me thinking it's losing the controller signal

Just got back from testing it, it seems directly related to the height when it does it. I went through 2 batteries and got it to go into failsafe about 6 times. The failsafe is the home one, back lights start flashing yellow and I can't gain control again until it drops to around 35 meters. The height that I was getting it to trip failsafe was around the 50-60m range, mostly closer to the 60m. I would get it up to that height and then just mess with the yaw to spin it around a little and it would trigger it. I tested keeping it about 11m high and flew it over 60m away from me and I could not get it to trigger failsafe at all. Watched the satellites and was connected to 14 the whole time even when it triggered the failsafe.

Prior to me painting it I did not have this problem and was able to go up to 100+ meters and never had a problem. I can't imagine any wires being loose causing this since the GPS does connect. Could this be something related to the remote? It's just really strange for it to do this for the height and not distance.

trance728 said:
Just got back from testing it, it seems directly related to the height when it does it. I went through 2 batteries and got it to go into failsafe about 6 times. The failsafe is the home one, back lights start flashing yellow and I can't gain control again until it drops to around 35 meters. The height that I was getting it to trip failsafe was around the 50-60m range, mostly closer to the 60m. I would get it up to that height and then just mess with the yaw to spin it around a little and it would trigger it. I tested keeping it about 11m high and flew it over 60m away from me and I could not get it to trigger failsafe at all. Watched the satellites and was connected to 14 the whole time even when it triggered the failsafe.

Prior to me painting it I did not have this problem and was able to go up to 100+ meters and never had a problem. I can't imagine any wires being loose causing this since the GPS does connect. Could this be something related to the remote? It's just really strange for it to do this for the height and not distance.

yeah the more you describe it the more it sounds like a transmitter or receiver thing... can you get your hands on another transmitter and see if you're having the same problem? (heck - you could order one from amazon and if it isn't the problem send it back ;) )

I'll see if I can find someone around me to try that with. I opened both up and didnt see anything out of place or unseated. I'm going to try re-updating all the firmwares and rebind the remote and see if that has any affect.

I just took it out for another flight and it looks like its distance as well, starting to think its related to the antennae. I took the remote apart to paint it and now I'm wondering if it somehow got crimped or pulled.

If the antennae were to get ripped off, would that create these same conditions?

trance728 said:
If the antennae were to get ripped off, would that create these same conditions?

With no antenna then I suppose it would

crash1sttime said:
trance728 said:

With no antenna then I suppose it would

Yeah I agree,.. And even if you weakened the connection... That would reduce the effectiveness

At least if its the remote I can get the new version with the built in battery and better gimbal control for$99. I'd just like to know that's the reason before ordering one.

I disconnected the antenna in the remote completely and tested flying it today and the same exact results happened, no worse, no better. Although this doesn't tell me for sure that the remote's antenna is the cause, but it seems likely. I haven't been able to find anyone local that is around to let me test it out using their remote so it looks like I will be ordering a new one hoping that it fixes everything.

trance728 said:
I disconnected the antenna in the remote completely and tested flying it today and the same exact results happened, no worse, no better. Although this doesn't tell me for sure that the remote's antenna is the cause, but it seems likely. I haven't been able to find anyone local that is around to let me test it out using their remote so it looks like I will be ordering a new one hoping that it fixes everything.

Ok keep us posted!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4