Can Airnest replace the Go app?

Reaction score
I've been following the Airnest discussion and it looks pretty good. Can it replace the DJI Go app totally? If so will it fix the no signal, loss of video problem that so many of us experience? I've tried everything so far and still have loss of video on every flight. No pattern to it, can be close or far, in the beginning or any time during.

I've been following the Airnest discussion and it looks pretty good. Can it replace the DJI Go app totally? If so will it fix the no signal, loss of video problem that so many of us experience? I've tried everything so far and still have loss of video on every flight. No pattern to it, can be close or far, in the beginning or any time during.
I think you will still have to have the GO App installed as it will not have all the camera controls, but it may have promise from what I have seen.

I am one of the Beta testers and it is a great product, I will be buying it next week when it goes on sale at the APP Store.

However it is not meant to be a replacement for the GOapp. You still need the the DJI app for most settings and updates etc. And a lot of the time I will be flying the GOapp, the Airnest App is for a different purpose. I also have the Autopilot app for DJI,it is also great and it does different things than the Airnest App.

But with either of those apps you still will use the GOapp a lot. For most flying and shooting it is actually easier in the GO app. But the intelligent modes these 2 apps add are great.

Look at it as more intelligent modes to help get great video.

I have no problems with connection or video dropouts in the GOapp, so I can't tell if it is better that way or not.

I am running latest FW and iOS 9.1 with GOapp 2.4.

Reactions: Xorge and bobmyers
Does it get rid of those pesky no fly zones? Is it available on iOS ? Does it have a useful waypoint planner like the litchi app?

I hope you all don't mind me chiming in here.
I just want to let you know that our app will not likely fix video related issues, in fact in regards to those that have them I want to ask are you using an apple lightening cable or a 3rd party cable? The video issues from what we can tell don't necessarily stem from any one app, the main issue is due to the non-standard way the drones are encoding and sending the video stream. DJI does not send IDR frames in the stream, this saves on bandwidth and vastly reduces the latency of the video feed, but it can cause some issues on some devices. Most of our beta testers have no issues with the video but some do. We have yet to identify a pattern to those that have the issue but we are looking for it, it does appear to happen more often on P3As.

I would tend to agree with olof on his multiple points, while some may use our app almost exclusively, and that would be great, I would still recommend keeping the DJI GO app for at the very least diagnostic purposes. There are things that DJI's app does that are not included in the SDK yet. We are adding the camera settings to our app in the hope that you won't need to switch to the DJI Go app for that. Here is a preview of the settings and how they will work in our app.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well as a beta tester it will not start video recrding and you will get an error message stating that the mode is not supported if you turn on video recording before entering the app. I have a P3A, and this is the only app I see the message in. It has some nice features but at this time does not replace the Go app. I am on the fence about buying, it will depend on cost at the moment for me. There are still some issues that need to be worked out.

Alan

I was a beta tester and use this app more than the Go app.
I love it and as soon as it becomes available I will purchase it.

I hope you all don't mind me chiming in here.
I just want to let you know that our app will not likely fix video related issues, in fact in regards to those that have them I want to ask are you using an apple lightening cable or a 3rd party cable? The video issues from what we can tell don't necessarily stem from any one app, the main issue is due to the non-standard way the drones are encoding and sending the video stream. DJI does not send IDR frames in the stream, this saves on bandwidth and vastly reduces the latency of the video feed, but it can cause some issues on some devices. Most of our beta testers have no issues with the video but some do. We have yet to identify a pattern to those that have the issue but we are looking for it, it does appear to happen more often on P3As.

I would tend to agree with olof on his multiple points, while some may use our app almost exclusively, and that would be great, I would still recommend keeping the DJI GO app for at the very least diagnostic purposes. There are things that DJI's app does that are not included in the SDK yet. We are adding the camera settings to our app in the hope that you won't need to switch to the DJI Go app for that. Here is a preview of the settings and how they will work in our app.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Justin - I have been curious about one thing. Do they not send IDR frames at all, not even at the beginning of a stream?

Well as a beta tester it will not start video recrding and you will get an error message stating that the mode is not supported if you turn on video recording before entering the app. I have a P3A, and this is the only app I see the message in. It has some nice features but at this time does not replace the Go app. I am on the fence about buying, it will depend on cost at the moment for me. There are still some issues that need to be worked out.

Alan
Well that is what Beta Testing is for. To find problems.

It works fine for me, but you probably have a different setup. Anyway beta testing is between you and the programmers and a Beta does not reflect the finished product.

Justin - I have been curious about one thing. Do they not send IDR frames at all, not even at the beginning of a stream?

Oso, They don't send it at all, ever. They provide us with a static IDR frame to be loaded at the beginning of the frame. We opted to use their version of the streaming software rather than try to build and adapt our own decoding because they are encoding with a non-standard method. The issues others see with the DJI GO app and some see with ours are likely to do with this.

As an aside I am still looking at the gimbal roll fine tune adjustments, I've started trying to implement it in our first update. I'll try and keep you posted.

Thanks,

Justin

Reactions: Oso
I consider AirNest a complimentary "Mode" for the P3P not a replacement. Plus there are a lot of things (camera settings etc) that you'll need to do within the GOapp.

I thoroughly enjoy AirNest and use it quite often but as stated above it's not a catch-all app and have a very specific purpose. It fullfills this purpose splendidly while also maintai
Well that is what Beta Testing is for. To find problems.

It works fine for me, but you probably have a different setup. Anyway beta testing is between you and the programmers and a Beta does not reflect the finished product.
It has worked perfectly in my testing as well. I have literally hours and hours of flight time with this exact ap and to date it's behaved perfectly and plays well with my equipment.

I'm interested in this app - the draw and fly seems pretty cool. When flying, do you switch back and forth between this app and DJI GO, or just launch, fly, and land with this app alone? Does it have all the information you normally have in DJI GO when flying, such as current direction, altitude, distance, etc.?

I'm interested in this app - the draw and fly seems pretty cool. When flying, do you switch back and forth between this app and DJI GO, or just launch, fly, and land with this app alone? Does it have all the information you normally have in DJI GO when flying, such as current direction, altitude, distance, etc.?

You draw, set altitude and speed and upload. Once uploaded you "Start" and the aircraft goes on it's way autonomously. You don't use the DJI Go Ap while using this ap at all. Once the "mission" is complete you take manual control and land, hover (to create another one), or fly as you wish.

It has some of the information and I would suspect future versions will have more.

This sounds very interesting. Im wondering if you select NO point of interest, then when it is flying the course, you can rotate the aircraft and gimbal to point the camera in several different directions along the way. Also, is there a minimum altitude to fly a course?

Reactions: BigAl07
I wish third parties get arrangement with DJI to develop plug-ins to Go App. This would make our lives simpler in working with just one app. Also such an arrangement will improve Go App.

This sounds very interesting. Im wondering if you select NO point of interest, then when it is flying the course, you can rotate the aircraft and gimbal to point the camera in several different directions along the way. Also, is there a minimum altitude to fly a course?

Yes if no POI and you select manual gimble you can tilt the camera and yaw the aircraft along the flight path.

I think min is like 5' and I believer that's built into the DJI firmware which is why you have to launch the aircraft prior to uploading. I've not tested anything below 50' personally though.

There is a toggle for manual gimbal control.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers