Can a stock Phantom do flips and rolls??

Reaction score
Yes in manual mode you can do flips and rolls its a bit more sluggish then that but I havent really flown it dead stock with no extra weight in quite a while where it would be quite a bit more agile. If you up gains you can get it a bit more agressive but generally the phanton is a bit slower and so will drop quite hard doing a flip or roll.

First time you try to do some flips you will need to enable manual mode via naza and best to practice up with a bit of altitude to allow for the drop and make sure you commit to the flip. You can go halfway as upside down it will just accelerate to the ground so you want to be inverted for the shortest time possible unless your very high and you can play with it a little as it drops.

Sounds like trying to flip a brick. I was hoping it would be more nimble in these maneuvers. Guess I'm going to have to do a DIY PVC copter (cheap and stupid easy to do and they look great with unique designs, who knew!) and somehow get my hands on a KK2 flight controller - which sounds like the HARD part. That would be better than trying to make a Phantom do maneuvers it was not designed to make. Recipe for disaster. Rather just give it to my son (27) when I'm done flying it as intended.

If you have never seen anything like this at a flying field (I never have!) check out this thread. Fascinating. Scratch built frames for $2.50. Paint 'em up or heat shrink to cover and they're gorgeous, novel, and nimble as hell.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2011196

I have to admit that I've been honking the phantom around my yard and I've managed to get 80% of my flying skills back. Now it's getting a bit boring doing figure 8's all morning long. For a former pattern plane flier where knife-edge, square loops, stalls, spins, inverted flying, outside loops, and even knife-edge loops were a part of most every flight, the Phantom has already got me a bit bored.

It's winter now (cold and VERY blustery today), so tis the season to BUILD! Guess I'm gonna hafta join the rcgroups forum as well. :lol:

P.S. Spoiler Alert: About 15 pages into the thread you learn that the fastest, easiest way to make the motor mounts is with boiling water. Lord, that is so EASY!!! Done in 2 minutes. Gonna head out to Ace in a couple of hours to pick up some PVC

PF

The phantom isnt exactly designed for acrobatics but chuck some fpv gear on it and go for some fast low flying between trees and the odd flip here and there and its quite a bit of fun. Also good as a camera platform as its originally designed but if your getting a little bored with it give manual mode a go. If youve flown rc helis you wont have much trouble picking it up, you can quite easily do 80kmh+ depending on how heavy it is and can turn pretty hard.

Here is an older video of mine in manual mode just bashing it around a bit and a few flips thrown in. Gets quicker at about 1:30 and first flip 2:25

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWkaNL0JQM[/youtube]

MANUAL MODE!!!!!! Duh! I must have rocks in my head! Good god I'm SUCH an idiot. :lol: :lol: Yeah, I can do that. I just have to hook the Phantom up to the Assistant and invoke it. I have my switch set to GPS, ATTI and ATTI. No wonder!

I fly my $33.00 Syma X-1 quad through and around my basement lollicolumns and in my garage (cars put temporarily in the driveway) all the time at night and when it is blowing a shitstorm outside (like it is now). It is purely a "manual" copter & have no problems flying it. OK...now I'm hot to fly the Phantom again... :lol:

Nice video, BTW. Mad respect for those maneuvers with FPV and a GoPro attached!! :mrgreen:

I tried to order a KK2 flight controller from HobbyKing, but they are (and HAVE been) on back-order. I gave 'em my e-mail address for notification when they become available. Would much rather crash a $30.00 flight controller than a $300.00 one! :oops:

PF

I think the NAZA is pretty tough and inside the phantom its pretty well protected, Ive had a few crashes and main weakness is the shell and props. My last crash the other day when not even doing hard manouvers but had a brush with a tree then had a prop fail at 70m didnt harm the naza though it did dislodge it. I think you would need to have a very serious crash onto hard ground and be quite unlucky to trash the NAZA but the other bits can easily just become more smaller bits.

Flying LOS manual I find orientation a little tricky once it gets a little further away so make sure you set up the phantom so you can easily see the nose direction.

PhantomFan I too learned on a Syma X1... I love that thing indestructiable... I still have all the spare props for it. I have wrapped it up aginst plenty of things with no issues other than snapping the body back on. I do feel a bit bad, I bought it for my daughter for xmas and fell in love with it teaching her. I got her a new one a month later.

If you can fly that, you will have no issues with the phantom in manual mode.

I call manual mode the "$1000 laxative".

Start nice and high. As Martcerv said, you HAVE to commit. There's no turning back, so go hard and fast. I started with doing rolls with the Phantom pointed away from me, which gave me the easiest orientation.

GPS mode is your "panic button". If you get out of shape and are having trouble catching it, flip it back to GPS mode and it will stabilise ... hopefully.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Geez...almost had coffee come out my nose! $1,000 laxative, indeed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All great advice. Thanks, guys.

PF

@BallisticPhantom:

Well, the Syma X-1 indoors may be my only flying option today. It is blowing a shitstorm AGAIN in my locale. :cry:
Garbage pails are rolling down the street, and my PVC furniture blew onto my pool cover! YIPES!!!

PF

Attachments

• Wind.jpg
    Wind.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 594
I bet you can do all sort of flips and rolls in that kind of weather, that's even before you get off the ground..... :lol:

Guess you'll have to wait for another day.

martcerv said:
The phantom isnt exactly designed for acrobatics but chuck some fpv gear on it and go for some fast low flying between trees and the odd flip here and there and its quite a bit of fun.

Flips or no, that is way cool. Someday...maybe!

PhantomFan said:
@BallisticPhantom:

Well, the Syma X-1 indoors may be my only flying option today. It is blowing a shitstorm AGAIN in my locale. :cry:
Garbage pails are rolling down the street, and my PVC furniture blew onto my pool cover! YIPES!!!

PF

:shock:

PhantomFan: "....and then it just flew off!!"

Other Phatom Pilot: "That sucks, I guess you'll have to search for it along the last flightpath. Was the battery fully charged?"

PhantomFan: "Well, yes, but...."

Other Phantom Pilot: "But what?"

PhantomFan: "....but I hadn't put it in yet."

BTW PF, your NAZA just called me, it said to tell you that it refuses to come to work today :lol:

You guys are trying to make me laugh till I hurl, aren't ya??? Geez...

Don't you love how the wind widget refers to 31.1 mph gusts as "moderate breeze". I'll say one thing, though, every leaf is now off of the trees. Wind stripped them faster than a $20.00 bill to an exotic dancer. :lol:

PF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.