Can a foreigner fly a drone in the U.S.?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a college student with F-1 VISA, from South Korea.
I used to fly RC helicopters in my country. RC stuff has always been my interest, so I bought a used Phantom 4 pro model a couple months ago and registered it today through registermyuas.faa.gov. Soon after I registered it, I looked up some regulations to not violate the rules here.

One of the regulations from a web page below is that
Fly for Fun
You must be "a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident" to fly an unmanned drone for fun.

It frustrated me, and I googled a bit. It was like someone was saying foreign visitors can fly drones as long as they have registered it.

I'm super wondering if it is possible for me to fly a drone here or not. If not, why would they allow me to register my drone and took money? I really hope I can fly the drone.
I'll be looking forward your answers. Thank you.

To be clear. The "*" at the end of that sentence says:

"* Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership)."

Registering with the FAA is a little bit different. Same process, same cost, same rules, but the certificate you receive is different and will be a "certificate of ownership" for your drone.

It's "really" the same thing. You have an FAA certificate. You will be assigned an FAA identification # that must be placed on your drone.

Then GO FLY!! ;)

As has been mentioned before, several Canadian and UK citizens have posted success in registering so that they could fly here.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj