Can a bad roll motor cause gimbal to malfunction?

Reaction score
I think I have a bad roll motor. The camera does not respond at all (even at start up) and I have no picture. I also cannot connect to the go app. The little red light is blinking at the top of the gimbal by the circuit board and there is a green light on inside the camera in the SD slot.
The roll motor separated from the race and I reinstalled it. I thought if that part was bad that I would still have the other functions. Maybe the gimbal is all or nothing? Hard to diagnose
thanks

While I do not know for sure, I'd bet that your issue is not the roll motor, and I'd bet it is the flat ribbon cable.

nope, i replaced that already
Ok, info is good.
Did you use an authentic DJI replacement cable, or aftermarket? Many many threads here says the aftermarket ones are poor quality.
If you did use a DJI product, then my next guess would be one of the numerous connections for the cable isn't seated properly. Did you lift the tiny latches at each connector, then re-set the latches when seating the cable connections?
What about the other cable that connects in the top of the gimbal, did you check that one for good connections?

thanks for the reply
I did check all the connections. I actually went over all of them today by taking it apart to check in case I forgot to lock one down.
all those are good. Good question on the ribbon. I thought I did buy a dji ribbon but maybe not
I got it on amazon, here is the link
Amazon.com: Fstoplabs DJI Phantom 3 Standard Gimbal Yaw & Roll Arm + Ribbon Cable + screw: Camera & Photo
It says dji in the title but does not say anything like "authentic dji product" :(

p.s. the problem occurred after a crash where the gimbal are and ribbon were broken. I replaced those parts but have not fixed the problem. I have a red light blinking on the gimbal and a green light on inside the sd card slot

I contacted the company that sold me the ribbon, I asked if it is a genuine DJI ribbon. They did not answer that question but instead asked for my address so they can send me another one

Last edited:
I'd bet that FStoplabs is selling only original DJI cables.
Sorry, I'm out of suggestions at this point.
I'm shocked that no-one else has contributed to this thread!

While I doubted that a roll motor issue could cause your dilemma, I would think that a damaged roll or pitch motor board could. Did you inspect those?

I did inspect the other 2 motors visually and they seem fine
the reason i think it could be the roll motor is this

Message_1501182796389_zpskatyorl3.jpg

Well that looks trashed. With no-one else responding, I suppose your next attempt may be to replace the motor.
I believe that the roll motor is not an available part, and that people buy the pitch motor and cut the longer shaft off to the proper length.

There's a user here @hunch that repairs drones. Maybe he will add some wisdom now that I've tagged him.

Last edited:
lol, Hunch is helping me, he has the roll motor and is sending it out. If that doesnt fix it, I will send him the craft. I have wasted enough time with guess work
thanks

Can't tell for sure but that picture makes it look like you might have some short-circuit action going on with that ribbon cable/distribution ring assembly. Calling the location of the ribbon cable "12 o'clock" and moving clockwise, there appears to be some at 3 o'clock and maybe some across the way at 9 o'clock. All the solder points look pretty bad, too. Maybe a case of poor workmanship?

Reactions: Billy Banana
yeah, I dont know if its causing all my problems but I have a replacement on the way
keep y'all posted
thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4