Camera

Reaction score
So far, I am not too happy about the quality of the stills and the video footage. I have seen some great shots taken with the PV2 camera, but I just don't seem to be getting the same quality, but that could just be my flying and the ability to keep the Phantom steady to take shots - still working on that and some more experimentation and comparison to carry out.

The main reason for this post is to do with the angle that the camera seems to keep settling on. I have found that the camera keeps adjusting its position (the servo and gimble doing their 'job' I suppose) and that it ends up pointing down all the time. I seem to be fighting the camera to point where I want it to. I use the camera tilt control on my iPhone to point the camera straight ahead and within seconds it has decided to point down again!

For low level flying this is ridiculous, as all I can see in FPV is the ground and I have no idea where the craft is heading! I have been unable to record particularly good video as whenever I frame a shot and then move the Phantom the camera ends up moving as well and I can no longer see what I want in my shot.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Is this by design? I have looked through the user manual and can't see any way of confining pitch movement or turning it off. Any ideas anybody?

Just found a Gimbal setting page on the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant. Haven't tried changing anything yet I(need to work out what it all means) but this may provide the answer I'm looking for.

I'll repost when I have tried changing the settings.

My tilt function on the Vision didn't work at all. I noticed a downward pointing angle but couldn't control any tilt functions from the app. The camera would auto-level but nothing on manual. Sadly, it's currently boxed up for return without ever flying.

Good luck with yours and keep searching for the correct solution to rule out being defective.

I couldn't get the Gimbal settings to make any difference. Clearly a camera that always points down is of no use for FPV or for capturing usable video. The DJI website stated I should contact my supplier first before logging an issue with them so I have emailed Quadcopters UK to see what they say.

Hey TisiRaptor, I think I just figured out the mysterious down pointing camera issue. I too was a bit annoyed by it, and I even noticed that in all pre release videos, it was always pointing down when they held it up. I was trying out various camera setting just now, and thought I'd try something. Once all connected, I used the slider to point the camera so it would be parallel with the blades, and then I double tapped the icon above, the one used to hold down for iPhone gyro control/tilting. After a few attempts, it locked the gimble in place, nice and straight, instead of down. I tilted the phantom up,back, as extreme as possible and the little servo fought for dear life making corrections to stay parallel with the blades. the speed for the double tapping is a bit of a guessing came, and it didnt stay highlighted to let me know when it was locked, but I had a hunch it would. It's sort of like using the caps lock function on an iPad or iPhone. After powering the phantom and app off, and restarting them, I did have to re lock it into place, as it seems the down angle is the default. But, at least, once your flying, it should stay level. I didn't test it for very long mind you, so I'm assuming the lock stays for more than the 5-6 minutes of me testing it. I also don't have an android device to test it with.

Hope that helps,

Rich

Cheers Rich, I'll try that when I get some flying weather again!

I spoke to Quadcopters and they hadn't heard of the issue so asked me to send them a video of it happening. I did this and they are contacting DJI about it, but if your solution works then that will be great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1