Camera upgrades?

Reaction score
From the Phantom FC40 platform, what camera makes a good upgrade beyond the FC40 camera itself? I am not a fan of the GoPro, but I know lots of folks are, and it is probably a very reasonable reference. (It may be that the GoPro fits this application better than any other in which it is used. There are lots of applications in which it way out of place.) But what other camera are out there that would make good choices? I am going to do my own window shopping, but what do you guys like?

IMO it depends if you're going to be using a gimbal and if you're planning on flying by FPV. I just ditched the FC-40 camera yesterday and got a GoPro. Main reason for going with the GoPro was that pretty much all gimbals are set up for the weight and dimensions of them and I've seen too many jello laden videos using other cameras. The appallingly weak WiFi signal from the GoPro is irrelevant for me as I plan to build an FPV setup as soon as my bits and bobs arrive from China.

What GoPro did you get and what other pieces for your FPV setup? I'm looking into throwing a couple upgrades on my FC40 as well, first and foremost a better battery and props...if I can ever get my damned PC to recognize my FC40

Are you saying the GoPro wifi is weaker than the FC40 camera?

I find the wifi on the fc40 camera to be abysmal. I was hoping the gopro was better or at least the same. I plan on replacing the default camera but am TRYING to hold out for the next gopro and see what the improvements are... if I can stand it that long.

wattage said:
IMO it depends if you're going to be using a gimbal and if you're planning on flying by FPV. I just ditched the FC-40 camera yesterday and got a GoPro. Main reason for going with the GoPro was that pretty much all gimbals are set up for the weight and dimensions of them and I've seen too many jello laden videos using other cameras. The appallingly weak WiFi signal from the GoPro is irrelevant for me as I plan to build an FPV setup as soon as my bits and bobs arrive from China.

tmartin62 said:

Yes, it's dreadful. With the FC40 wifi, I made it to approx 660 feet with wifi still connected. Trying my GoPro yesterday, I made it to about 40 feet and it dropped.

iamon said:
What GoPro did you get and what other pieces for your FPV setup?

I got the Hero 3 + Silver and I've got a cheap Chinese 2.4GHz 200mw video TX on its way from China as I type. The link below is just for illustrative purposes since Hobbyking appear to have discontinued it. I got the same one from eBay, for £6.66!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=26829&aff=1355672

wattage said:
tmartin62 said:

Yes, it's dreadful. With the FC40 wifi, I made it to approx 660 feet with wifi still connected. Trying my GoPro yesterday, I made it to about 40 feet and it dropped.

iamon said:
What GoPro did you get and what other pieces for your FPV setup?

I got the Hero 3 + Silver and I've got a cheap Chinese 2.4GHz 200mw video TX on its way from China as I type. The link below is just for illustrative purposes since Hobbyking appear to have discontinued it. I got the same one from eBay, for £6.66!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=26829&aff=1355672
Well, I just learned something! Regardless of how "bad" the GoPro is, I didn't even know it sported a wifi connection!

iamon said:
What GoPro did you get and what other pieces for your FPV setup? I'm looking into throwing a couple upgrades on my FC40 as well, first and foremost a better battery and props...if I can ever get my damned PC to recognize my FC40
I just ordered 3 Multistar (Turnigy) 3S 4000mAh batteries and a B6AC charger from Hobby King for the battery upgrade. Obviously I have not decided on a camera yet, but I'm not particularly interested in FPV. In actuality I want high-quality stills (so my real objective is more payload capacity for a bigger/heavier camera).

slothead said:
Well, I just learned something! Regardless of how "bad" the GoPro is, I didn't even know it sported a wifi connection!

Haha! Yes, it has its uses, FPV not being one of them. Camera controls (start/stop recording) and settings adjustment can be done over WiFi, as long as it's not too far away!

I have the Mobius cam, have it mounted on fc cam mount, have the FC40 gimbal on its way, looks like it should be easy to mount it on , cant beat it for the price. nice little camera, lots of info on RC group

go pro 3+ black is an excellent camera, so much better than the fc40 camera, i could really not use the footage i was getting from that, the go pro 3+ will shoot 2.7k and 4k (but no preview supported on my device anyway at those resolutions) obviously you will have to fit a gimbal and it will weigh down your unit but well worth the upgrade if image quality is ur thing.

Worth noting go pro 4 is due for release, they said july this year but i hear its around first quarter of next yr, should be amazing, i just could not weight and got the 3+

you could use the go pro shooting at 2.7 or 4k and use the fc40 velcro'ed onto the battery door for fpv but ur phantom is going to be quite heavy , im sure a few here have done that tho

i hear that 2.7 k is really cool because you get so many more horizontal lines..but many say that they just use 1080p 120 fps because it looks amazing and the file is easier to edit due to its size...im trying to hold out for the 4 .......

I wanna get the Silver but am half-concerned with the new Hero 4 coming out. It's obviously gonna be pricey but wonder how it's gonna impact pricing of existing models. I don't want to spend $300 on a silver now and if the 4 is released in 2 months see a price drop of $75.

Have they confirmed a release date? I'm hearing October from some sources, 2015 from others.

I got a SJ4000 for about $95 delivered. IT's the same size and weight of a go-pro, and possibly even same quality as the lower end go pro's just without the hefty price.

I think Banggood has them cheap.

Ohary said:
I got a SJ4000 for about $95 delivered. IT's the same size and weight of a go-pro, and possibly even same quality as the lower end go pro's just without the hefty price.

I think Banggood has them cheap.

From reviews I've seen, they don't send video out the AV output for FPV while they're recording though.

They don't, but i hear the wifi on the go pros is very limited range, so what I do is use the FC40 cam for FPV and record video with the SJ4000.

I was meaning for sending AV to a video transmitter module. Came close to getting an SJ4000 'til I found that out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl