Camera Stopping Mid Flight

Reaction score
I have found over my past several flights that my camera is stopping its video recording automatically at about 3.6gb in length. When I restart the camera the subsequent video file is always saved as a corrupt file and not viewable. I'm using a SansDisk Ultra class 10 64gb card that always starts off empty. Has anyone else experienced this and if so any fixes for it?

I just experianced it my self today. Really bumbed.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yeh that has happened to me several times in the past. Exact same issue. Not sure what do about it. It's quite random.

I have found over my past several flights that my camera is stopping its video recording automatically at about 3.6gb in length. When I restart the camera the subsequent video file is always saved as a corrupt file and not viewable. I'm using a SansDisk Ultra class 10 64gb card that always starts off empty. Has anyone else experienced this and if so any fixes for it?
Isnt that the file size limit on a Fat32 formatted SD card?

Yes, it happened to me yesterday -- first time ever. SanDisk HC 16gb nothing on it but the .bin and the .txt files.
It quit after 1.5gb and I restarted the video. The second half finished at 2.5gb. Using 1080P30. Hardware [acceleration?] was off.
The first video played (in Pinnacle) up to the last few seconds.
What's up? It worked ok today.

Is everyone on the new controller FW ? Thats the only thing that has changed for me

No, I'm still on the older firmware. This is not real aged to the fat32 file size limit. If had the video stop after a few seconds of recording even.

Looks loke its not firmware specific and definatly not fat 32 related.intresting to see how manny ppl have had this issue

I ran through two batteries yesterday and it happened both times....the first battery I flew I used Litchi on an android device and the second battery I used DJI Go on my iPad ... Same thing happened both times. I did keep the same memory card in for both flights. Did not have this issue using same memory card with earlier firmware versions when I first got the P3 back in June.

Has anyone noticed a connection lost briefly in their flight log data found on the device used to run the app?

Btw, my advice would be to start a thread in the P3 forum on dji.com and bring this issue up. Then everyone else also post and include yourself. Otherwise it may never get addressed.

Reactions: Dounin Front
had 4 flights today. Did not see the issue. Very random glitch

For anyone using a sandisc Ultra,throw it away.They have been a sub standard card since day one and are not a true calss 10 card.That has been tested time and time again.They will always fail if not strait away then before any other card will fail,especially when recording 1080p at high frame rates or when using cameras that record with high bit rates.
If you must use a sandisc card use the Extreme or Extreme plus.

For anyone using a sandisc Ultra,throw it away.They have been a sub standard card since day one and are not a true calss 10 card.That has been tested time and time again.They will always fail if not strait away then before any other card will fail,especially when recording 1080p at high frame rates or when using cameras that record with high bit rates.

Sure, now you tell me!
I've been using a SanDisk Ultra 8gb HC I 10 for my P3A.
When I first started buying SD cards, many years ago, there was a consensus that SanDisk brand was more reliable than the competition. Since that was then and this is now, I should update my findings with regard to these newer high speed cards.
Thanks for your advice.

Good call @PTCX . Since the forum has seen so many people ask why their files were limited to around 4GB, I focused on the FAT32 file size limit with my response earlier and missed the mention of the SanDisk Ultra.

I agree with you that current SanDisk Ultra cards have very poor write performance. Much too poor IMHO to confidently use with the bit rates for HD and higher video recording. SanDisk Extreme or higher is the better choice with the SanDisk brand. Personally I mostly use SanDisk Extreme Pro and Lexar Professional, though I do have a couple of Sony XQD cards.

I really wish that card manufacturers were required to prominently list write speeds which are more important (to me) than read speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dounin Front
The Ultra cards were the reason so many people had issues with the GoPro HERO 3 Black when it first came out.The recommended card was the ultra but after the problems with the card were found GoPro brought out firmware to limit the bit rate if an ultra was put into the H3Black so it would not stop recording or freezing all the time.
I know the back story to why it was the recommended card but I think the families/companies involved would prefer it to be burried in history.

Good call @PTCX . Since the forum has seen so many people ask why their files were limited to around 4GB, I focused on the FAT32 file size limit with my response earlier and missed the mention of the SanDisk Ultra.

I agree with you that current SanDisk Ultra cards have very poor write performance. Much too poor IMHO to confidently use with the bit rates for HD and higher video recording. SanDisk Extreme or higher is the better choice with the SanDisk brand. Personally I mostly use SanDisk Extreme and Lexar Professional, though I do have a couple of Sony XQD cards.

I really wish that card manufacturers were required to prominently list write speeds which are more important (to me) than read speeds.

After your reply I just ordered a SanDisk Extreme Pro U3. Reviews say it has a very fast write. We'll see.

I saw somewhere where the XC cards have a different fat system that allows for larger files but I can't find a 32gb that has XC only HC

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@ Dounin Front,I never had any problems with the Extreme plus and the Extreme pro should work well for you.

@lawman0210,XC cards are 64GB and larger,Exfat format,and may still be subject to sub 4GB chaptering depending on the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic