Camera Raw 9.8 / Lightroom 2015.8 Just Out - Auto Lens Profile

Reaction score
I have never seen this before. Lens correction automatic and built into the raw file.

Are camera makers moving toward embedding lens profiles in Raw files?

Untitled-2.jpg

I believe they put the lens info in the meta data, then LR looks up the profile and can apply it. I've experienced it with my Hero5 Black and iPhone 7.

It's not clear to me that the profile is actually being applied. With every other lens I've used, you can see a perspective difference when the lens profile is applied. Not the case here: switch back and forth in the History panel and you see no differences. Also, if you check the "Enable Profile Corrections" checkbox, you will get an error message saying "Unable to locate a matching profile automatically."

I thought it might be possible that the profile was applied before it opened in the Library module. So, I overlaid the DNG with the corresponding JPG form the P4P and again I could not see a perspective difference.

Neat idea, but doesn't seem to be all the way there yet, as far as I can tell.

I had already planned to create a profile with the Adobe tools next week. I'll compare and post the results.

@Rom3oDelta7 It's a bit confusing since you can't toggle the automatic correction. Seems like if you toggled the lens correction panel on and off that would do it but nothing changes.

You're right about no change between dng and exported jpg. You would expect some change. But also try other brand profiles at 24mm - nikon, canon, sony - the image distortion correction changes the image very little when you toggle those on and off.

p4p lens appears to have very little distortion.

Perhaps, but I find it hard to believe that plastic lens with such a wide POV has so little distortion that I can't see it on my 30" monitor. I use pro lenses on my Nikon D800 and at that focal length you can still see a difference - and these are expensive (zoom) lenses. I don't have a fixed lens at that focal length lens to try, just a 14mm Rokinon and it has distortion all over the place (but is nicely cleaned up by the profile, thankfully).

We'll see once I do a straight-up profile of the FC6310 next week (hopefully, if the holidays don't get in the way). May also post this issue on the DJI forum and see if they have any feedback.

Yes it's not going to have none. But it may be less than you think. Eyeballing looks like about +5 with little or no falloff.

I have an 8mm Rokinon and it's got some distortion. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4