camera power

Reaction score
is the cable and jack that goes into the camera simply used for power ?

T.I.A

Ump

No, it carries the info from the main aircraft about GPS, speed, altitude etc to the 2.4GHz transmitter in the camera were it's merged with the camera video. It also carries tilt commands from the Android/iPhone app that go via 2.4GHz to the aerial in the camera and thence to the main aircraft which sends them to the tilt servo.

Thanks for that, I notice its a 4 pole jack, are any of the poles just for power ?

I would like to take 5v or more if possible to power a tracking device.

Two of the poles provide +12v and Ground. Not sure which they are though!

Be very careful though - a short can burn out a component on the main board. Several people (myself included) have had this happen by fiddling with the camera plug while the Phantom is powered on.

2 of the 4 wires are dc from the battery to power the camrea and the other two are for the wifi data to and from the camera.

You could tap 12volts off that wire BUT not recommended being if it shorts like zenoshrdlu mentions it can fry parts on the main board. Infact you dont ever ever ever want to short that wire or even try to pull it out or plug it in to the camera while the phantom is on and power to the plug due to the way they have it wired it can and will short out as the 12vdc+ tip touches the any of the other four connecters in the female jack in the camera. while the camera is also switched on then its also buy buy camera. DJI really should of flipped it around so that the hot lead is on the last ring were they have the ground and not the tip like they do But its best if you want to tap off any power to do it inside the shell were the battery leads go in to the main board.

That mentioned above is one thing that scared me half to death when I had my last crash(not fun)

I have seen a few cases were people got lucky in a crash when having the cable yank all the way out. But ending up not frying the camera due to the cable coming out so fast it didn't short any thing long enough to cause damage.

Umpa said:
Thanks for that, I notice its a 4 pole jack, are any of the poles just for power ?

I would like to take 5v or more if possible to power a tracking device.
Got 5V here. The pros here will have to state how many amps you may get.

Attachments

• F1-5V.png
    F1-5V.png
    484.6 KB · Views: 420
Got 5V here. The pros here will have to state how many amps you may get.

ahhhhh now thats very cool to know that can be used for other things then just to power to gimbal control

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4