Camera on the P4

Reaction score
Ok, I have shot with many small p&s cameras down to as small as 2mp .....so, when I take a raw picture and import it into Light Room it looks like and old olympus 2mp camera....I mean bad, way soft. even if I just set the p4 on the table in a well light sunny room it looks pathetic and not worth much of anything. Is this the way the camera is?

Ok, I have shot with many small p&s cameras down to as small as 2mp .....so, when I take a raw picture and import it into Light Room it looks like and old olympus 2mp camera....I mean bad, way soft. even if I just set the p4 on the table in a well light sunny room it looks pathetic and not worth much of anything. Is this the way the camera is?
Well, A raw shot is what it is. Even though you see the lighting conditions are different. Many applications can render a raw file for what you are trying to accomplish in the end results.
Try playing around with the camera settings if you want instant results for your project. The P4 camera is very good for what it does.

My Samsung note 5 sitting right next to the P4 in the same conditions simply blows it away.....and I am not an amateur...I have a Nikon D750 and shoot a ton outside....

Samsung note 5....vs Phantom 4 side by side...same conditions 20160814_214430.jpg DJI_0013.jpg

I have been shooting raw for 10 years. I did not expect a NEW 2016 camera in the P4 so be so off. I do like the 4k stuff but the optics are far better than a cell phone and should not be that far off

I have been shooting raw for 10 years. I did not expect a NEW 2016 camera in the P4 so be so off. I do like the 4k stuff but the optics are far better than a cell phone and should not be that far off
Yes, but that is what DJI gave us and it is workable. If you feel that there is a issue with the camera, then file a claim. But most of us would be happy for the most part with the results that we get with the P4 Cam.

CAMERA
Sensor 1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.4 M
Lens FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at ∞
ISO Range
  • 100-3200 (video)
  • 100-1600 (photo)
Shutter Speed 8s -1/8000s
Image Max Size 4000×3000
Still Photography Modes Single shot
Burst shooting: 3 / 5 / 7 frames
Auto Exposure Bracketing ( AEB ): 3 / 5 bracketed frames at 0.7 EV Bias
Time-lapse
HDR

Taken directly off DJI's site.........94 @20MM....I get it know

You took off the plastic film lens protector right? Also noise reduction not enabled?

Image must be very sharp and crisp. Camera defect is possible, suggest you compare with take from another P4 and same conditions, ideally outside.

You look experienced but we know sometimes simple things can be missed even to pros. Hope does help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

With a device such as the P4 and it's accompanying camera built for the consumer market and built to a price, it's always going to be a case of getting what you pay for. I'm a newbe P4 pilot (as can be seen by the state of my machine) but a pro photographer. Frankly I'm amazed at the capability and technology DJI have made available to all for the price they charge and in my view this is especially true with the camera.
You're never going to get a professional SLR result from a small sensor consumer camera, but if you make the most of the files provided, you can certainly produce results you'll be proud to display. I took the attached image 2 days ago at an altitude of 500M directly above my house. After some optimising in the form of exposure blending (or HDR if you prefer) and some basic Photoshop tweaking I printed a very acceptable result at 4ft wide which will soon be gracing my lounge room wall.
This is not the place for a tutorial, but to make the most of what we've been given, do explore your settings especially shutter speeds and exposure bracketing and always work with RAW (DNG) files. Sure they'll look flat when first viewed, but you'll have enough information to produce some nice results with software and a little knowledge. Personally I'm very excited about the P4 and it's versatile little camera which cost me about what I would pay for a single quality SLR lens!
Enjoy your P4, it's a great piece of kit!

DJI_0099 500Lr.jpg

Yes Remi, plastic long gone.

Carl, I was not looking for dslr quality but was hoping for results as simple as a year old cell phone. To date I have shot over 1 million raw photos and fully understand raw work. I will tinker around with the P4 camera today and post some shots

Yes Remi, plastic long gone.

Carl, I was not looking for dslr quality but was hoping for results as simple as a year old cell phone. To date I have shot over 1 million raw photos and fully understand raw work. I will tinker around with the P4 camera today and post some shots

Find user sharing camera settings experience and providing recommendations;

Nice result mate, your first photo does it for me. Sharp, clear and balanced and all from a camera worth maybe a few hundred dollars!
(Not a great fan of ND's for normal use)
Thanks for posting!

Thanks Carl. Just testing it outside. maybe indoors is not the place for testing.DJI_0020.jpg

I did notice some white specs on the last shot

AnthonyM1, looks sharp ok, but flat and little under exposed, however agree cloudy condition not ideal for this test. Have you checked ALL default settings, no D-LOG if no special post editing, exposure correction at zero etc?

Find discussion but don't think it's blurry in your case:
Image quality: messy- blur stills / OK video P4

Look my greens (16:9) , sunny condition (mobile app degraded my picture)
26394f15004516c827bc668576305a6c_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20