Camera on Phantom 2 vision

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can order a camera for the 2 vision. My father made a emergency landing on a icy pond and his camera got wet. We dried it out put are still having no luck with it. We would like to know if the camera is user replacable and if and were they can be ordered.

Thanks for any help in this mater.

Yes it can be replaced for $500. If it only got wet I strongly re commend waiting at least a few days before purchasing another as it will probably work by then.

Often water isn't as harmful to electronics as you may think (it's the dissolved crud in the water that's the real problem). As a first step give the camera a good rinsing in clean tap water, then a final thorough rinse with distilled water. Let the camera fully dry and then give it another try...

As a last resort you could also give it a rinse in alcohol (either ethyl or isopropyl) but that carries the risk of degrading any seals, rubber mounting and could put a haze on the optics. Of course as a last resort you've got nothing to lose, right?

EyeUpHigh said:
Often water isn't as harmful to electronics as you may think (it's the dissolved crud in the water that's the real problem). As a first step give the camera a good rinsing in clean tap water, then a final thorough rinse with distilled water. Let the camera fully dry and then give it another try...

As a last resort you could also give it a rinse in alcohol (either ethyl or isopropyl) but that carries the risk of degrading any seals, rubber mounting and could put a haze on the optics. Of course as a last resort you've got nothing to lose, right?

A few weeks ago, I flew my Hubsan X4 off a wall and into a sink full of dirty, sudsy water... It was completely submerged. I pulled it out, took it apart, wiped it down and used a hair dryer to remove the remainder of the moisture. I really thought it was dead.

I flew it today for nearly an hour, using the six batteries I have for it, and it flew absolutely flawlessly.... Go figure!

-slinger

Water won't damage electronics straight away, but can within a few hours. Don't power-it up if its still wet. Open it up for a closer inspection if you're able, then do as slinger did... wipe it down, them use a hair dryer to evaporate any residual moisture. Use canned air to force water out of the connectors, wipe, then use hair-dryer again.

iDrone

iDrone said:
Water won't damage electronics straight away, but can within a few hours. Don't power-it up if its still wet. Open it up for a closer inspection if you're able, then do as slinger did... wipe it down, them use a hair dryer to evaporate any residual moisture. Use canned air to force water out of the connectors, wipe, then use hair-dryer again.

iDrone

Use of a hair dryer is usually not necessary and should be done with caution. I say caution because using a hot hair dryer over sensitive electronics can cause more problems than the water submersion itself. If you endeavor to use a hair dryer to remove some of the moisture only do so if you can adjust the temperature settings to cool.

Unpowered electronics can take quite a bit of heat, and a hair dryer operated at the same distance one would use for drying hair will not damage electronics. When in doubt, place your hand adjacent to the target and only heat as much as your hand can comfortably tolerate. Operating electronics can generally work up thru 100F w/o issue, tho usually designed for use at ambient temps. A hair dryer won't kill your PV unless it's intakes are clogged (outputs hotter air) or it's defective.

iDrone

put the camera in a ziplock container full of rice ..completely cover the camera ..lets sit for a day day or 2

just to clarify ...dry rice

gunslinger said:
EyeUpHigh said:
A few weeks ago, I flew my Hubsan X4 off a wall and into a sink full of dirty, sudsy water... It was completely submerged. I pulled it out, took it apart, wiped it down and used a hair dryer to remove the remainder of the moisture. I really thought it was dead.

I flew it today for nearly an hour, using the six batteries I have for it, and it flew absolutely flawlessly.... Go figure!

-slinger

I was wondering what would happen if I did that with my Hubsan X4. :shock: Thanks to your detailed research I can cross that one off my checklist :roll:

Shrimpfarmer said:
gunslinger said:
EyeUpHigh said:

-slinger

I was wondering what would happen if I did that with my Hubsan X4. :shock: Thanks to your detailed research I can cross that one off my checklist :roll:

I knew my wife was soaking a pan in that sink and was TRYING to be careful. I got a little too close to a wall and the prop guard bounced it sideways, I tried pulling away, but it just spiraled right in. I was hoping I'd find it floating. :shock: :eek: :? :roll:

streetcreep said:
put the camera in a ziplock container full of rice ..completely cover the camera ..lets sit for a day day or 2

I can see someone putting it in a ziplock full of beef fried rice... (It still don't work, but man it smells pretty **** tasty!)

:D

-slinger

gunslinger said:
streetcreep said:

I can see someone putting it in a ziplock full of beef fried rice... (It still don't work, but man it smells pretty **** tasty!)

-slinger

Now that's funny! (the rice...not the P2V in the drink!)

gunslinger said:
streetcreep said:

-slinger

actually works like a charm .. Rice will draw out any moisture

streetcreep said:
gunslinger said:
streetcreep said:

-slinger

actually works like a charm .. Rice will draw out any moisture

I know, I've used that method a few times with damp electronics. I was just being a nitwit...

-slinger

Thanks of all the input. His camera is back up and running. The emergency landing came from him pulling up and turning to miss a tree at high speed and he moved the sticks just right and shut the motors off in mid air. instinct from his old aircraft days. Every thing is good to go, just waiting for the weather to break so we can get him back out flying. This was is first flight in over 30 years and he is loving it.

Thanks again for all the help.

iDrone said:
A Happy Ending! We def need more of those around here. Glad all's well and the Vision survived!

iDrone

Yay for happy endings! :) I had a feeling it was just a matter of the camera drying thoroughly. Glad it worked out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr