Camera Mods

Reaction score
Hi Guys,,,

Enjoy reading all the great info on the forum.. I have modified the Phantom Vision for "Plan View" with a 10X optical zoom camera.. Sony QX 10.. What do you think ? I have to attached an Android device to the drone to operate the time lapse however, do you think it will fly ?

Attachments

• IMG_20140209_131214.jpg
    IMG_20140209_131214.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,964
  • IMG_20140209_145703.jpg
    IMG_20140209_145703.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,877
Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the result it will produce. I will probably modify my P2V with another camera for straight down pictures. I haven't decided how to to this yet.

For straight down , I've used a gopro on a time lapse or video and stills simultaneously.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,730
Studiowise said:
For straight down , I've used a gopro on a time lapse or video and stills simultaneously.

How did you mount the Go Pro and does it get unstable during flight?

stefan_fvt said:
Studiowise said:

If you look at the pics I posted, I used a simple 1 axis gimbal I found on eBay. You can see how I modded it so it was clamped under the standard vision gimbal base plate. Minimal vibration and perfect for stills. I have the dronexpert gimbal now so I can do straight down shots. Bit of extra info, I used the gopro app (via wifi) to configure the gopro and test to see what it can see (note: wifi is switched off again before flying with vision app)

Here's one from the gopro mounted like you can see in my post above.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,739
Studiowise said:
stefan_fvt said:
Studiowise said:

If you look at the pics I posted, I used a simple 1 axis gimbal I found on eBay. You can see how I modded it so it was clamped under the standard vision gimbal base plate. Minimal vibration and perfect for stills. I have the dronexpert gimbal now so I can do straight down shots. Bit of extra info, I used the gopro app (via wifi) to configure the gopro and test to see what it can see (note: wifi is switched off again before flying with vision app)

Here's one from the gopro mounted like you can see in my post above.

It looks really good, thank you for the info! I would like to take straight down shots for best results creating ortophotos and digital terrain models. Right know I'm thinking of fitting a Ricoh GR or a Canon Ixus 140 alongside the original camera. I don't think the weight would be a problem (250 or 150 g). The camera has to have time-lapse (intervalometer). The Gopro would be perfect if it didn't have the fish-eye effect. The Rico has a bigger sensor but the Canon is a lot cheaper and also lighter, I can't decide which one to go for.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Martib said:
Hi Guys,,,

Enjoy reading all the great info on the forum.. I have modified the Phantom Vision for "Plan View" with a 10X optical zoom camera.. Sony QX 10.. What do you think ? I have to attached an Android device to the drone to operate the time lapse however, do you think it will fly ?

I test flew the craft and it flies !! I think Carbon fiber blades will assist with the extra mass as the plastic blades are slapping air !!, does anyone know if they can be purchased for the Vision ? Also looking at prop guards... All the ones I have seen are too small...

I just received my CF props in the mail today, didn't have time to install or test yet but will sometime this week. I bought (2) sets of two props, CCW&CW 9443 from http://www.helipal.com . Can't recall what they went for, I'm thinking somewhere around $40-$50 for the two sets. I'll post a before and after flight video once I've installed and tested them and you can decide if they'll fit your flying needs. Cheers!

Martib said:
Martib said:
Hi Guys,,,

I test flew the craft and it flies !! I think Carbon fiber blades will assist with the extra mass as the plastic blades are slapping air !!, does anyone know if they can be purchased for the Vision ? Also looking at prop guards... All the ones I have seen are too small...

parker1789 said:
I just received my CF props in the mail today, didn't have time to install or test yet but will sometime this week. I bought (2) sets of two props, CCW&CW 9443 from http://www.helipal.com . Can't recall what they went for, I'm thinking somewhere around $40-$50 for the two sets. I'll post a before and after flight video once I've installed and tested them and you can decide if they'll fit your flying needs. Cheers!

Martib said:
I would love to see some sample arial photos if you have a chance to upload them.

stefan_fvt said:
parker1789 said:

Martib said:
I would love to see some sample arial photos if you have a chance to upload them.

I just received my new CF Props in the mail also, and have tested them. I started on the post early this am & saved the draft because my ADHD kicked in and the post went off in a long tanget...lol Anyway my results are posted in a post I started called "Anyone used these yet"? spoiler alert their awesome...

So I guess I will finish up that saved draft about the use of the CF Props. I think the tangent that side tracked the post was an incident involving CF props nearly cutting off my finger!
Interesting post regarding camera!
Moose

stefan_fvt said:
parker1789 said:

Martib said:

Hi Parker, I will post some photos from the QX10 for you soon... I look forward to hearing about your appraisal of the CF props.. If you get good results with extra payload , I will get them too... I think the self tightening blades are nice though...

Mod is finished.. Please let me know what you think... The phantom with CF blades carries the extra 125 Gram Sony Camera well... Now just need to get a repeater (Range Extender) working reliably to control the QX10 Sony. It must be connected with WIFI to take a shot... Right now I am only getting 20 Meter range... I am testing a DLINK DAP 1320 range extender, any recommendations about the repeater ? I have a spare DJI repeater but am unable to log into it and convert the settings.

Attachments

• IMG_20140228_083354.jpg
    IMG_20140228_083354.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_20140228_082128.jpg
    IMG_20140228_082128.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 733
Amped sr10000 repeater. Probably the most powerful consumer one right now.
600mW
Upgrade the antennas if you wish.
Stock it should get you 600 to 800 feet.

ericdes said:
Amped sr10000 repeater. Probably the most powerful consumer one right now.
600mW
Upgrade the antennas if you wish.
Stock it should get you 600 to 800 feet.

Docooler has a two antenna 1000 MW repeater and a three antenna 1500mw repeater.

Martib said:
Mod is finished.. Please let me know what you think... The phantom with CF blades carries the extra 125 Gram Sony Camera well... Now just need to get a repeater (Range Extender) working reliably to control the QX10 Sony. It must be connected with WIFI to take a shot... Right now I am only getting 20 Meter range... I am testing a DLINK DAP 1320 range extender, any recommendations about the repeater ? I have a spare DJI repeater but am unable to log into it and convert the settings.

This looks really great! I'm also looking to attach a camera to my P2V. I would like to use the vision's camera for FPV and to tilt (somehow) the attached camera. The QX10/100 looks like a great fit in terms of size and weight.

Do I get it right? Are you using both WIFI (vision's and qx10's)? Or do you only use the wifi from the qx10? In the latter case, are you using the 7th channel to tilt the camera? Would it be possible to use the vision's wifi + the qx10 wifi simultaneous (using 2 phones) or won't this be possible because of interference?

And what are those black tubes in between the white dampers dampers. Did you need to add those because of the weight?

As far as the 'shooting' is concerned, don't you have a shutter button on the qx10? But I guess it won't have an intervalometer for continues shooting every x seconds? Otherwise you could strap the button to have it pushed in all the time....

I'm really curious to see some shots and video. How well does the optical stabilisation of the xq10 works when shooting video?
Please share some more info, I'm sure many people overhere can learn from your feedback/experience :D :D

vin100 said:
Martib said:

This looks really great! I'm also looking to attach a camera to my P2V. I would like to use the vision's camera for FPV and to tilt (somehow) the attached camera. The QX10/100 looks like a great fit in terms of size and weight.

Do I get it right? Are you using both WIFI (vision's and qx10's)? Or do you only use the wifi from the qx10? In the latter case, are you using the 7th channel to tilt the camera? Would it be possible to use the vision's wifi + the qx10 wifi simultaneous (using 2 phones) or won't this be possible because of interference?

And what are those black tubes in between the white dampers dampers. Did you need to add those because of the weight?

As far as the 'shooting' is concerned, don't you have a shutter button on the qx10? But I guess it won't have an intervalometer for continues shooting every x seconds? Otherwise you could strap the button to have it pushed in all the time....

I'm really curious to see some shots and video. How well does the optical stabilisation of the xq10 works when shooting video?
Please share some more info, I'm sure many people overhere can learn from your feedback/experience :D :D

Hi Mate..

I am still testing WiFi with both cameras on, however interference is an issue and will need to mount a repeater card on the phantom to get the range with the QX10 Sony.
Good idea wuth manually shuttering but The Sony does not have an intervelometer so just forcing shutter on doesn't work, quite frustrating.

The black tubes and double dampner allow me to tilt both cameras straight down for a plan view shot.

The telemetry with the DJI fpv camera is priceless and the tilt function is extremely useful so I need both cameras mounted and functioning, as the QX10 takes far supirior pics...I am using a Nexus 7 for the DJI app and a Nexus 5 for the Sony app. I'm not interested in video and would buy a multi axis gimbal for that if I was.. I need telescopic stills of communication towers for work.

Any advice about getting the WiFi to play nicely with each other would be great, once I have some test shots I will post them...cheers Martib

Re: Camera Mods adding a Sony QX10

I am thinking of giving up on WIFI for the Sony QX10 control and setting up a hardware based intervalometer. The Phantom onboard camera will provide FPV as the Sony shoots a 20 MP still with Optical stabilized zoom every 5 secs.

Anybody have experience with a Hardware driven Intervalometer in series with the shutter button ?

Martib said:
I am thinking of giving up on WIFI for the Sony QX10 control and setting up a hardware based intervalometer. The Phantom onboard camera will provide FPV as the Sony shoots a 20 MP still with Optical stabilized zoom every 5 secs.

Anybody have experience with a Hardware driven Intervalometer in series with the shutter button ?

Does that exists? And will it fit on the QX10? Curious to see how it looks like. ..

In order to limit / avoid wifi interference, have you tried to use another wifi channel on the QX10 camera? I notice that my P2V's wifi extender is using channel 1. If you would be able to set the wifi channel of the QX10 camera to +5 or -5 channels (so in my case to 6 or higher) you would be able to eliminate most interference.
Perhaps it's possible to change the wifi channel of the P2V extender too, havent yet searched on in.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

Martib said:

Does that exists? And will it fit on the QX10? Curious to see how it looks like. ..

In order to limit / avoid wifi interference, have you tried to use another wifi channel on the QX10 camera? I notice that my P2V's wifi extender is using channel 1. If you would be able to set the wifi channel of the QX10 camera to +5 or -5 channels (so in my case to 6 or higher) you would be able to eliminate most interference.
Perhaps it's possible to change the wifi channel of the P2V extender too, havent yet searched on in.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1