Camera Mod Fail [+need advice]

Reaction score
Hello!

Today I tried to open my P2V camera in order to mod the antennas, but I failed miserably. When I attempted to remove the 2 screws that holds the camera sensor+lens (please see image below), I accidentally stripped (damaged) one of the screws, and now I can't removed it as the screwdriver doesn't fit in it any longer.

Any ideas?

I thought about using the female U.FL to female U.FL cable that is connected to the original antenna patch, but the cable from my new antenna is also U.FL female, which would require a "male UFL to male UFL" adapter, and I can't find this anywhere (not sure if such thing exists)

Hope you guys can enlighten me.

Thanks!

k0v3RNc.jpg

xitake said:
Hello!

Today I tried to open my P2V camera in order to mod the antennas, but I failed miserably. When I attempted to remove the 2 screws that holds the camera sensor+lens (please see image below), I accidentally stripped (damaged) one of the screws, and now I can't removed it as the screwdriver doesn't fit in it any longer.
Try using a screw extractor tool designed for removing stripped screws. There are many different ones available.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grabit-damaged-screw-remover-0543809p.html

BManCan said:
xitake said:
Hello!

Try using a screw extractor tool designed for removing stripped screws. There are many different ones available.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grabit-damaged-screw-remover-0543809p.html

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've watched some videos of those screw extractors and they really seems to work.

However, this screw that I stripped is attached to a PCI board and also it is too small (PH00). Do you think this could still work?

Thanks!

Try getting another screwdriver with the same head as the one you used put a super tiny bit of superglue on the other screwdriver then in the stripped screw let sit then try to extract it OR..and this is a little bit more tedious but take a file or dremel with a small bit and cut a groove in the screw head then just use a flathead screwdriver to take it out.....if you do the second one DO AT YOUR OWN RISK! I suggested it not telling you to DO IT..lol It actually looks to small for a dremel and those screws are pretty cheap metal Lowes I think has some super small files that should do the trick. AGAIN at your own risk!

If all is still buttoned down, go the less evasive way and order the camera kit from Horizon FPV Antenna. It took less than 30 min, if that to install. There is also a YouTube clip on how to install it. Previously I was only getting around 1200 ft video feed range but I now get consistently 3000-3300 ft range. Shipping was fast... Pretty sure he had it in stock and I received in 3 days and that was from over the pound. Good luck!

Phantom 2 Vision (NEW ) Camera kit with 2 x SP ( silver )
Price: £39.00
SKU: P2V Camera kit2xSP
Weight: 0.20 KGS
Rating: ( 2 product reviews )
Shipping: Calculated at checkout
Quantity:

Expected release date is 21st Apr 2014

xitake said:
Hello!

Any ideas?

I thought about using the female U.FL to female U.FL cable that is connected to the original antenna patch, but the cable from my new antenna is also U.FL female, which would require a "male UFL to male UFL" adapter, and I can't find this anywhere (not sure if such thing exists)

Hope you guys can enlighten me.

Thanks!

k0v3RNc.jpg

If extractor tools (reverse threaded drill tip) doesn't work.

You may need to use a drimmel tool with a small orbital file and grind off the head of the screw. At that point of course, you'll then need to remove the entire PCB so the screw shaft can also be removed. You need to see if these screws can be ordered as they will likely all need to be replaced at that point.

Good Luck.

Try screw-eze or valve grinding compound on the screwdriver tip. Last resort use comet or other scouring powder, just dip the screwdriver in water and then in the powder. Make sure you get all the comet off the PC board, it's corrosive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.