Camera Lens

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the camera lens on the DJI Phantom Vision+ is protected by an outer piece of optical glass/plastic? Whatever is there is not flat (not like a protective filter on a camera, I mean). Rather, after looking closely, I think that there may be a protective dome over the lens. Either it is a protective dome, or it is the outermost of a group of lenses, and thus part of the optical train itself. Thanks for any information/speculation.

bizrank said:
Does anyone know if the camera lens on the DJI Phantom Vision+ is protected by an outer piece of optical glass/plastic? Whatever is there is not flat (not like a protective filter on a camera, I mean). Rather, after looking closely, I think that there may be a protective dome over the lens. Either it is a protective dome, or it is the outermost of a group of lenses, and thus part of the optical train itself. Thanks for any information/speculation.

Mine was destroyed in a crash so out of curiosity I took the camera apart. There's a small circuit board and a tiny camera. Yes, there is a clear glass dome that the camera lens actually sits up against.

Here`s the camera :)

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 674
Thank you both (and sorry to hear yours was destroyed, Phantom_menace). I work a lot with telescopes and optics, including small achromatic lenses. I was wondering if the camera is easy to get at, and also if the dome is merely protective and removable. I was speculating on the possibility of changing out the existing lens for a higher quality piece of glass of a different focal length (to flatten the field, because I don't like fish-eye distortion).

So: Is opening the camera easy, or is that something that could cause damage? (Wouldn't want to do that.) And do you think the dome is removable to get at the lens?

Thanks for the responses and also the picture.
Bill

The camera i fairly easy to remove and re-assemble. 4 screws to get to the circuit-board, and two screws in the circuit-board to get the whole thing out. The only tricky part is to remove/re-attach the ribbon. The ribbon-connector has a little hasp that yo need to lift in order to get the ribbon out. In the pic. here, the hasp is in the upper position. It needs a steady hand and no brute force.. The dome is glued btw.. I do not have the skills to disassemble that..

Attachments

• kamera_2.jpg
    kamera_2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 688
There was a thread I here about a guy who did this.
Not a easy task. A lot of work. , time and a special tool to do it.
Not as easy as screwing a new lens on. He was offering a service to do it. It was expensive , he's sells a magnified phone visor. Can't remember his name. I think he stopped doing it.
Here's his video. Somewhere in one of his threads he tell how to do it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SThgJgDIPKI

I'm going to start reading from the links you sent, NotYourName and Mori55. Thanks very much.

Lots of good advice here. If I do decide to do anything at all on replacing the lens, I'll report back on how it goes. By the way, I think I'll refrain from using the tree-collision camera disassembly method.

Oh, and one more thing for Phantom_menace: Do you think the protective dome is glass? Or could it be plastic?

Bill

I'm still wondering if anyone can clear up my uncertainty about the "protective dome" on the lens of the Vision+ camera, before I might proceed on a project. I know that, in response to my question on the forum, Phantom_Menace66 mentioned that the lens on the Vision+ is protected by a glass dome. Is it even remotely possible that the dome is a lens, one of the optical train lenses? I don't want to try replacing it with an upgrade lens unless I'm certain the dome is not part of the train. And if it's protective, I'm wondering if the dome is more likely to be plastic, and not glass.
Thanks,
Bill

Hi,
I was attempting to change the lens and failed due to:
- there is no protection dome, front lens element is exposed
- there is no simple way way to change the lens as it will require to:
1. make new lens mount - precision machining of complex parts needed
2. balance the camera / gimbal in both axes to have the same weight as the original assembly (very critical)
I'm still looking for some third party to come with the solution for replacement lenses

Thanks, lizard. Given what you say, I won't allow my love of astronomy/optics experiments to lead me to do anything foolish with the lens assembly. The videos are quite good as they are. Like you, I'll await some other options as they are introduced by DJI, or as third-party folks develop them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl