Camera Issue After Ka-BOOM Crash

Reaction score
Some know from another thread of mine http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9409&p=81063#p81063 my P2V crash in the top of tree's at the top of a hillside. Result was a 100ft total drop for the P2V.

Since the crash I have pretty well got most everything sorted out, except one issue with the camera. The camera is activated when the battery is powered up. It goes through it's normal wondering eye type of behavior.

Let me point out the camera and battery pack both separated from the P2V in the crash.

After a thorough inspection of the exterior on everything, the only sign of visible damage was the large wire that plugs in the rear of the camera. The prong was pulled out from it's molding, and sitting slightly to one side. I was able to press it back in what I call it's stock location.

So now the small yellow light never comes on. If I remove the plug and reinstall, it actually will show a dim shade of red. Of coarse the Album and Camera features don't work with the app. And the app will not advance into the view screen for flight.

Please help a brother out and give some advice or suggestion as to what the fix is for the camera issue.

My one and only guess is, when the plug was pulled out at an angle, it bent a connecting tab with in the female connector inserted in the camera housing. If that indeed is the problem, my only chance of repair would be to open the camera and hope that I'm able to bend the tab back to it's connecting position. ****I have tried searching this site for anything similar in hopes to at least find a thread showing the camera opened up to see if the connector possibly works as mentioned, but to be honest I do NOT have much luck using the search feature on this board. I have a super solution for that, but we'll save that for another time. What should I do here?

flight-of-eye said:
You may possible have damaged the wire. May need to order a new wire pack and replace.

Just a thought.

Yeah... That's exactly where I'd start. It's the cheapest part to replace and if the cable was damaged at all during the crash it should be replaced anyway. You may want to, in future, use small wire ties, run through the rubber dampers on the camera, to keep it from separating in a future crash. Leave a little slack in the wire ties to avoid cutting into the dampers during normal use.

-slinger

I think you guys are on target with needing to replace the wire. I tugged outward on the plug and it fell out of the wire. I have one on order but I don't expect it until the 1st half of next week. I guess I could throw my gopro 3 on it but I really don't like flying without wifi and no gps.

flyNfrank said:
I think you guys are on target with needing to replace the wire. I tugged outward on the plug and it fell out of the wire. I have one on order but I don't expect it until the 1st half of next week. I guess I could throw my gopro 3 on it but I really don't like flying without wifi and no gps.

I saw in your other thread that you actually had the wire ties in place through the dampers and the camera still broke loose. That's a bit disquieting... How small were the wire ties?

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
flyNfrank said:

I saw in your other thread that you actually had the wire ties in place through the dampers and the camera still broke loose. That's a bit disquieting... How small were the wire ties?

Thanks...
-slinger

They were around 7 inch maybe. But I had two of them installed. Btw, it's kinds makes you wonder what some actually are looking at when they read & respond sometimes. Like I posted I had wire ties installed. Then in the same thread 3-4 members suggest I install them. I don't want anyone getting upset thinking I'm making fun of them, but I am. Nah seriously I'm only kidding. Regardless whether a member pays that close attention or not, for me it's the fact that they replied and had shown some type of concern. It's the ones that just read and never get involved are those the need to be worried about.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj