Camera Guard Design Update

Reaction score
I have updated the carbon fiber camera guard to make it more utilitarian by adding slots and more attachment points. The guard also benefits from the additional length, making it stiffer. The overall weight is only .5 oz (14 g).

The additional length extends the guard rearward, making it possible to attach things like a mobius without interfering with the camera gimbal's free movement. It makes a good platform for mounting additional electronics and remains in the shadow of the body so as not to interfere with lift or wind resistance.

Attachments

• camera guard updated angle.jpg
    camera guard updated angle.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,101
$35 + shipping. It doesn't cost any more than the original design and it only uses material that was wasted in the first design, so I can get just as many pieces from the same amount of material.

quick video with rear facing mobius. I took the video with both cameras rolling and then edited together. It is a combination that could have a lot of potential for catching shots on one pass. Just playing around. :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5IiFU8kHOw[/youtube]

I've got an order in the queue... If it hasn't been shipped can I move myself into line for the new design?

Thanks,
Tom LaStrange

Although I missed the "new" camera guard, here is one idea you can use with the old or new camera guard.
In the following pictures I'm using a 1 watt LED head lamps (available from Costco, two lamps per package) About for about $10.00.
They are so bright it can easily be seen in bright daylight. Works great to give you instant feedback as what your orientation is.
I just rotate my bird until I see the light, then I know, on the right stick, forward is away from me, back will bring it back.
I know some times if the bird is far enough out I lose sight of it, even with PFV, I'm not sure where it is. The lamp really helps spotting it. Before launch I turn it on, and set it for a downward angle, so as to see it from the ground.
I first attach it to the camera guard with Velcro, to hold it in place and then use zip strips to attach it strongly to the camera guard.
There is plenty of clearance between the lamp and camera/gimbal.

Attachments

• 100_2023.JPG
    100_2023.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 100_2024.JPG
    100_2024.JPG
    647.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 100_2025.JPG
    100_2025.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 994
What is the preferred method for ordering, payment, and shipping?

Whoooooow :shock:

Fastsmiles does a great job on these - I ordered a couple for my P2V+'s - actually use them for an instrument tray for the Pocketfinder and audio recorder. Great job/fit/finish and customer service/speed. Nice work.

Thank you!

fastsmiles said:
quick video with rear facing mobius. I took the video with both cameras rolling and then edited together. It is a combination that could have a lot of potential for catching shots on one pass. Just playing around. :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5IiFU8kHOw[/youtube]
Be carefull with möbius, I have one on my 450 and had a lot of rf interference and had a tough time keeping sat lock.

WHEN I get mine how will I tell if it is the new one or old one?

I had the GPS puck in copper shielded cup mount on a mast on the back of the 450.
The möbius was down under the front of 450 , as far away as I could get it.
There's a thread on Rc groups about the möbius interfering with some GPS.

Is there a design that would work for the wider and taller landing gear?? Or do you guys think the guard is enough?

I only use the guard. i have a pair of higher wider landing gear, but I don't use them. They don't fit in any of the cases or backpacks and I use a backpack.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20