Camera gimble not leveling correctly

Reaction score
Im having a problem that started after 8 months of operating correctly, where the camera goes thru its leveling process at startup, and ends up at 45 degrees off horizontal plane, and stays that way, and maintains that orientation, instead of level, no matter which way i rotate the quad, ...until l do the gimbal auto calibration in the gimbal Settings screen...then its ok...until i turn it off, and back on again...then i have to do same thing each time i turn it on.
Someone suggested i do an IMU Calibration after cooling down the unit, which I tried, but no difference seen. Anyone ever have this problem or have an idea what I need to try next?

I don't have an answer but thought it wouldn't hurt to bump this thread. Maybe someone will have an answer for you.

I don't have an answer for you but noticed my P3P camera does the same thing when the bird boots, but then goes level as soon as the app connects?
Don't recall it doing that before, so I hope you find an answer. Has DJI been any help?

Did you turn it on a flat and leveled surface ?
You can also check if the gimbal is fully free of movement.
Check the ribbon cable for any damage.
Check that the ribbon cable is not under stress when the gimbal is doing a full range movement for each of the axis.
Check if the ribbon cable is correctly inserted in each part of the gimbal, there are 2 visible locations.
Capture.PNG

Check if the screw on the shaft it correctly tight.
Capture.PNG

If it had a crash, there could be also damaged components that control the gimbal motors (the potentiometer that measure the position of camera, one per axis).

You can also check if the 4 rubber supports (white one) are not damaged or if the security pins are not too tight. The control block of the gimbal should be free to move and parallel to the bottom of the P3.

Some pictures and and video could be helpful to go further. Above are typical issues with gimbal.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions, there is no crash involved, which wouldcat least explain why it just started doing this, and yes, am always on a level surface during startup, and there doesnt seem to be any stress on the ribbon cable, or displacement at the visable connections, it moves freely on all axis when off, and as i mentioned, and this is the thing i dont understand, when doing the gimbal auto cal, it levels out perfectly, until i am done flying and turn it off, then it reverts to the canted position upon restart. I can do the calibration before each flight to correct it, but shouldnt have to. It seems almost like some default value that is stored and used during startup has been corrupted...or something...
I will attach video this evening...

Did you read the OP ?
1. He calibrate already the IMU even if it has almost no chance to be related.
2. He calibrate the gimbal each time he power up his P3. It is his backup plan.
3. He can but it is an extra offset added that is not affected by the gimbal calibration. So if there was a large non zero value, the gimbal would be tilted at power up, the gimbal calibration would be done and it would just go back to where it was at power up.

Here his issue is somehow that the calibration values are not saved or the gimbal power-up goes bad.
Let's wait for a video.

Im having a problem that started after 8 months of operating correctly, where the camera goes thru its leveling process at startup, and ends up at 45 degrees off horizontal plane, and stays that way, and maintains that orientation, instead of level, no matter which way i rotate the quad, ...until l do the gimbal auto calibration in the gimbal Settings screen...then its ok...until i turn it off, and back on again...then i have to do same thing each time i turn it on.
Someone suggested i do an IMU Calibration after cooling down the unit, which I tried, but no difference seen. Anyone ever have this problem or have an idea what I need to try next?
Did you read the OP ?
1. He calibrate already the IMU even if it has almost no chance to be related.
2. He calibrate the gimbal each time he power up his P3. It is his backup plan.
3. He can but it is an extra offset added that is not affected by the gimbal calibration. So if there was a large non zero value, the gimbal would be tilted at power up, the gimbal calibration would be done and it would just go back to where it was at power up.

Here his issue is somehow that the calibration values are not saved or the gimbal power-up goes bad.
Let's wait for a video.

Please see video on YouTube to show camera at start up!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks

You have to perform a gimbal motor post alignment on the rear gimbal motor.
Remove the back cover of the motor and align the top flat part of the motor post so that the flat part of the post aligns with the plane of the top of the camera...horizontally flat.
There are many post about this issue and I have posted this fix as well.
The press fitting of the motor post is very shoddy and the post will move over time indicated by your problem. This is very common.
Once you have physically aligned the motor post, turn the aircraft on and the camera should be in its normal position. Then do a gimbal calibration.
search gimbal motor post alignment.

Ranger

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestion, but before i do this i have a question, in the video John posted for me, i failed to show something i meant to, and had stated in my original post, that after startup, and the camera ends up canted, if I then do a gimbal calibration from the menu, it levels out peerfectly. What really boggles me is that If I was experiencing the problem you describe above, wouldnt the camera be canted after calibration as well, and not level out perfectly ?
Or am I missing something? Thanks.

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestion, but before i do this i have a question, in the video John posted for me, i failed to show something i meant to, and had stated in my original post, that after startup, and the camera ends up canted, if I then do a gimbal calibration from the menu, it levels out peerfectly. What really boggles me is that If I was experiencing the problem you describe above, wouldnt the camera be canted after calibration as well, and not level out perfectly ?
Or am I missing something? Thanks.
Maybe the best would be if you can make a small video from the power up (so we see the gimbal dance and how to finished) and then when you do the gimbal calibration.
Actually we have given you the typical failure we have heard. Usually seing what move correctly and what don't move correctly in the gimbal (it is a 3 axis system) will help in the troubleshooting process.

Yes but if you want to continue to gimbal calibrations its up to you.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Work keeps getting in the way, Im in one city, the Phantom is in another, my buddy is going to try to post another video for me tomorrow. Thanks for the help, and your

Work keeps getting in the way, Im in one city, the Phantom is in another, my buddy is going to try to post another video for me tomorrow. Thanks for the help, and your patience

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers