Camera filters

Reaction score
For my P3 pro, the DJI site says '*A UV Filter is included with the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced.'
Without having a go first, is it removable to fit the alternate filters, if so is it threaded or slip on?
Only asking as I was supplied a separate pack of slip on filters when I purchased the drone which fit on the current camera configuration, which included a UV one, according to DJI.
I don't want to have to slip on a filter over a filter.

All help much appreciated

Yes, the UV filter is removable. It's threaded on.

If it's just a uv filter then I suspect you slip you other filters over the top of it. Nearly all photographers myself included keep a uv filter permanently on our camera lenses for protection and fit nd filters on top.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If it's just a uv filter then I suspect you slip you other filters over the top of it. Nearly all photographers myself included keep a uv filter permanently on our camera lenses for protection and fit nd filters on top.

Not on the Phantoms! consensus here has been that the screw on filters are preferred, removing the UV filter and replacing it with the desired ND. If you search the forums, you will find that most of the recommended filters on this forum are that type. Added advantage is that they are the same weight as the UV and do not put any additional stress on the camera gimbal.

My point was the uv is screwed on and the filters are slip on. I'm not sure as I don't have a nd filter yet. Seem strange to replace a screw on filter with a slip on type.

What?? No you don't ever want to put a filter on top of a filter if you don't have to. Creates more flare and diffraction of light. Better to unscrew the UV filter and use a screw on filter.

What?? No you don't ever want to put a filter on top of a filter if you don't have to. Creates more flare and diffraction of light. Better to unscrew the UV filter and use a screw on filter.

I have had good luck with thin film filters and I keep the polarizer and ND2 behind the us filter with diffraction. Will my slr, I always use a polarizer but the majority of my photos involve water or big skies.

Im a semi pro photographer, its perfectly acceptable to leave a UV filter on all the time, every photographer i know does the same.

Im a semi pro photographer, its perfectly acceptable to leave a UV filter on all the time, every photographer i know does the same.

I'm a pro photographer as well. UV filters are a very contentious issue that everyone has an opinion about. Fact is, the more glass you stick in front of a lens, the greater possibility it will cause more flare. The front element of any lens is much tougher than any filter and will have better coatings (which is why you pay so much for them). UV filters are not needed with digital as the low pass filter in front of the sensor is also a UV filter in addition to reducing moire, they were needed with film however.

The need to protect the lens (for a camera) in normal conditions is not needed. The front element of lens is very durable and easily replaceable for cheap if need be. That being said, on a drone I would use a filter at all times because of the possibility of flying debris, difficulty in replacing the front element of the lens, and you're most likely to be using a ND filter anyhow for video.

All that being said, if you want to leave a UV filter on all the time, have at it. Stacking filters, especially flat filters, will reduce IQ with even the best filters because of flare no matter how good the coating.

I can honestly say I have never seen flare as a problem, to be honest the very few times I've had it, it's just added to the photograph. Personally most of my photography work is theatre related so very low light levels. Anyway back to the op post he said the nd was slip on so thought they would slip over the screw on uv as it seems strange to slip a filter over a stew thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers