Camera dead after upgrade - BEWARE!!!

Reaction score
HELP!! I just found out this morning that the new firmware is available to support DNG RAW. I watched the video and followed all the steps shown. After inserting the SD card and turning on the phantom, the camera light flashed as shown. I then turned the phantom off and on again, but the camera is dead! No light on the back of the camera. When I connect to the DjI vision app, I get the message 'connect to phantom 2 vision failed'. Anyone else experienced this? Can i downgrade the firmware and start again? My fear is that it won't respond to any further firmware versions.

Try to format your sd card then copy latest firmware in it.Make sure your vision's camera switch off then insert sd card in to camera,power up your phantom vision and turn camera on wait for it auto install firmware till led steady.Good luck...

There is another thread on this same issue. I had same thing happen. I ended up returning my Phantom and getting a new one and haven't had the nerve to update again yet. Did you format in the Phantom camera first ot other? Trying to rationalize why a few are doing this. So far, no one has been able to recover camera without getting a new Phantom oe new camera. Look at other thread.

Thanks guys, yes now found other thread. Nice one DJI for quality control on this firmware! Pretty bad situation for me as
I live in the Caribbean and returning to dealer very expensive!! I must admit I didn't freshly format the card, but it was an empty previously formatted card. Not sure why that would make a difference.

reynoldsyoung said:
How do you format the Micro SD?

Via the app. Turn everything on as normal, establish a Wi-Fi connection with the Phantom, go into 'Camera', tap the cogwheel for settings and then, on the left, scroll down to the last item.

I think that's right anyway, my P2V is currently all boxed up and waiting to be taken to the post office on Monday

With any camera firmware upgrade, Phantom, Nikon, whatever, you should never format the card on a PC or Mac, or just delete files and folders on it to 'make it clean'. To be safe, you should always format the card in the camera, then put the firmware file on it (in the root, not into any sub-directory), then put the card back in the (switched off) camera, then turn the camera on, et voila, it should be fine.

In my experience, most camera firmware upgrades going FUBAR are caused by not following that procedure.

The original instructions said to use a cleaned card, so I kinda think I remember seeing a folder on the card after the format, so in computer, I think I remember deleting the photo that had the folder for photos and videos locations possibly. That way, it was completely empty prior to update. Not positive, but think I may have did that either first time or second try. Still however, the update showed to go sucessful and saw the folder showed back up afterwards and also the file changed names as was supposed to do which demonstrates sucess. Ruined my camera still.

dastagg said:
The original instructions said to use a cleaned card, so I kinda think I remember seeing a folder on the card after the format, so in computer, I think I remember deleting the photo that had the folder for photos and videos locations possibly. That way, it was completely empty prior to update. Not positive, but think I may have did that either first time or second try. Still however, the update showed to go sucessful and saw the folder showed back up afterwards and also the file changed names as was supposed to do which demonstrates sucess. Ruined my camera still.

i did it the same way as dastagg and yes before the video came out on friday it never mentioned to formatt!! the card via the app, never new you could.
funny how the vid came out after this started to become a issue i guess dji are going to have sh!t load of one eye blind demons sitting back at hq..

semaj said:
My upgrade appeared to work perfectly fine... Flashed amber while upgrading, then went solid green... Powered off vision, removed card to verify .bak file was present... The file did get successfully renamed... I then removed the file... Placed card (original micro SD) back into camera, powered on vision, got constant flashing amber... Tried again and again... No luck...

When 1.1.8 was released a few weeks ago, I upgraded without a hitch... Same way of course...

That to me suggests there are issues with DJI's code in latest firmware upgrade when your previous firmware upgrade went fine. Really, there should be far more failsafe in preventing bricking built into the system. The number of people that have posted in this tinny forum alone about the issue is fairly scary and it seems they're not alone from what you're saying about BHphoto getting so many returns. It must be costing dealers (and DJI) a fortune and a lot of bad vibe.

The same exact thing happened to me today! I'm going to contact DroneFly tomorrow. They have been great to work with. I'll let you know what happens. I need my camera back!!! :(

I have the same problem and that is not related with the sd card format. It is a DJI´s error. The issue is happening, is growing and it is harmful. DJI is remiting the customers to their dealers and doesn´t do anything to solve the problem. you have to contact the dealer and start the return procedure of the phantom.
It is a warning for those who HAVE not yet performed the updating firmware to v1.1.9. procedure. SO DO NOT UPDATE THE CAMERA FIRMWARE.
By the way, if you want to see by yourself what I'm saying, visit the web page http://www.dji.com and you will realize that the link to download the firmware update of the phantom 2 vision -v 1.1.9.- has been removed from the page and no longer allows download. Try to download it and you going to get a warning that says "page not found"

I wonder if the solution is going to cost money for us. It shouldn´t cause this is a DJI´s error.

All: This is old news. We've posted STICKY's at the top of the Vision Forum in attempts to avoid this sort of thing. They are updated constantly and have the latest information available. Oftentimes well have advisories & warnings long before DJI or their dealers are aware of an issue. Please avail yourselves to avoid such disasters & tragedies in the future.

iDrone ;)

Last two firmware upgrades worked fine for me and likely worked fine for most. Keep in mind tho that flashing bios and firmware chips can go awry from time to time these things can happen no matter what the product. Best bet is to see if you can reflash if it will let you.

Geert said:
No issues here.
For me, and for many others, the update worked just fine.
I executed the firmware according DJI release notes.
It is always good to hear the other side from the story too, isn't it iDrone ?

Geert.
DJI's original release notes were incomplete. The current DJI video tutorial has been amended to correct those omissions. The instructions in the STICKY we're correct from the day they were posted. FYI I have never bricked the camera and have all the camera upgrades installed successfully w/o incident as many others have done including yourself. If you don't know why, count yourself fortunate and don't change a thing in your process the next time you upgrade your camera.

Its too lengthy to explain how DJI screwed this up, you can find parts of my explanation in some of my other posts on the board if interested. Upgrading product firmware from a memory card can be tricky for the developer who doesn't incorporate contingencies in his code for variations in media, hardware platform, OS, access & execution times, and near fatal errors. This is not the first time developers have made these identical mistakes.

No worries, is its all fixable. Those cameras that go back to Hong Kong will be reflashed & reused. Eventually they will roll out "improved" upgrade files for future upgrades with very specific instructions & cautions.

iDrone :roll:

Geert said:
I see your point and I also appreciate your work making these sticky's.
But we should not need any "sticky" to upgrade.
I didn't read the sticky's as many many others also did not.
Now I have the impression if I don't read your sticky's I take a risk.
Sorry , but that is not the way it is. Maybe it is a good idea these sticky's for people who get in trouble.
But please do keep in mind that there are thousands of people outside and they don't read your sticky at all. They maybe will only start browsing the internet for information when they encounter serious problems.
Actually I was one of them.

Geert.
The original firmware Sticky was written to help new Vision owners stumbling across the forum to avert loss of their Phantom due to the invalid battery issue. It was directed at the newcomer who never having flown an RC before would be saved from the tragedy of flying 100ft off the ground a few hundred feet out when suddenly he loses control over his new Vision. I had hoped that would be the end of it, until reports of fly-away's started coming in, followed by more firmware fixes, tribal compass dances, mandatory simultaneous P2V & TX upgrades "or else", lack of RC Assistant, and finally bricked camera issues w/o explanation or remedy.

I agree Geert, in a perfect world with a perfect manufacturer you'd just download, copy to any card, stick it in, and wa-lah... All is good. "Should" being the operative word here. Works as advertised. Yet it isn't and doesn't and DJI is a far cry from perfect, never publicly acknowledging there was a problem, never admitting their cameras were failing as a result of their sloppy code, nor ever providing us with a heads-up via email or website (they do have everyone's email address don't they?)

Traditionally stickies are there for those who read & seek information about whatever it is they love and want to know everything about it before and after purchase. Clearly its not for the lazy or illiterate, nor for disbelievers who find it difficult to accept a company like DJI could be so careless, detached, unsupportive, & non-responsive.

In a perfect world there should be no stickies about imperfections & problematic issues, no questions about invalid batteries, loss of control, fly-away's, disoriented compass, and conflicted GPS. In a perfect world you'd buy a ready-to-fly drone and its ready to fly, period.

Oh well.

iDrone :roll:

migs said:
The same exact thing happened to me today! I'm going to contact DroneFly tomorrow. They have been great to work with. I'll let you know what happens. I need my camera back!!! :(

Spoke to DroneFly today and they said that this problem is a common one and DJI is aware of it. They are on it and waiting for a response from DJI. Hopefully soon!

migs said:
migs said:

Spoke to DroneFly today and they said that this problem is a common one and DJI is aware of it. They are on it and waiting for a response from DJI. Hopefully soon!

DroneFly has been AWESOME to work with. I'm thankful that I bought my Drone from such a reputable company. They are working on replacing my camera as we speak. I'm glad I did my research before I spent so much money on this incredible machine. I work with two builders and supply aerial photos for them. I can't be down for too long. It cost money!!! Buy from DroneFly!

Finally did my firmware upgrade after the brown truck just dropped of my new 32GB card and adapter from Amazon Prime. No issues here whatsoever. Going to go grab some RAW captures later.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31