Camera and Gimbal Protector

Reaction score
I created this piece in less than an hour using Lexan Polycarbonate @ .093" thick.

It fits the groove in the Phantom struts perfectly........using a sheet of paper and the camera pointed down at 90 degrees I marked the FOV and created a piece with maximum protection without obstructing the camera view.

I cut holes in the piece to reduce the weight.

I do not have a small scale, but it likely does not weigh but a few ounces.

It is held tightly in place with 4 small zip ties and has very little flex.......

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,037
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 933
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,170
Do you have any idea how much "a few ounces" will effect the flight characteristics of a firmware controlled device?

You're adding a bunch of stuff to protect your drone from crashes that it is much more likely to have now that the weight is being thrown all out of center... sorry... don't mean to sound harsh but if you read all over these forums you'll see stories about why those prop guards are a bad idea... and also about how this V+ is already very close to its maximum recommended takeoff weight by the manufacturer...

The conundrum. .. add a lot of stuff to protect the drone... greatly increase your chances of crashing and wrecking your drone :ugeek:

Might be worth weighing it, if you feel it's too heavy there's a guy selling carbon fibre ones that weigh 14g or so.. but they're $35.

IMHO the phantom isnt close to its max weight. I seriously don't think that guard is going affect it.
Have you seen some of the gear they strap these ? Fpv gear extra cameras double battery packs.

I appreciate the concern regarding the weight and my use of the prop guards.

I have had the prop guards on from day one and have seen no instability issues.......it is my understanding that any descent should not be vertical in any event, as any copter runs the risk of instability flying through its own propwash.

A friend flys without the prop guards and has had instability depending on rate of descent.........

I will test fly the camera/gimbal guard "addition" tomorrow and post the results. The camera guard is in no way involved in the prop wash, so it would be a matter of weight and any air disturbance caused while the copter is moving forward/back/side.

My goal is not to do aerobatics or any aggressive flying.....I do aerial photography and videography and it seems prudent to try to protect an expensive copter and a $650 camera/gimbal system.

Just trying to share what I came up with rather than purchasing something expensive that was designed by someone with likely no more experience than I..........I understand if it doesn't interest everyone.

kjopc said:
Nice design.

It would be great if you could trace your gimbal protector, scan it to a PDF and post the template here.

I will make a few flights to determine if any adverse interaction with flying.........if none I would be happy to share.

rgsinsc said:
kjopc said:
Nice design.

It would be great if you could trace your gimbal protector, scan it to a PDF and post the template here.

I will make a few flights to determine if any adverse interaction with flying.........if none I would be happy to share.

I took it up and flew it today .......

Did all sorts of maneuvers to see if the protection plate had any effect.........I saw no difference on lift or performance or maneuverability.

Landed in the grass and the plate worked great.

If anyone is interested, I can trace and post a file.......

rgsinsc said:
rgsinsc said:
kjopc said:
Nice design.

I took it up and flew it today .......

Did all sorts of maneuvers to see if the protection plate had any effect.........I saw no difference on lift or performance or maneuverability.

Landed in the grass and the plate worked great

If anyone is interested, I can trace and post a file.......

I'm interested in tracing your pattern, can you send me the file
FRED
[email protected]

I did not want to remove the protector from the Phantom, so I traced and measured to get an accurate representation.

Someone asked if I would make them........I did this one by hand and I am not interested in mass producing them in that manner.......if I create a measured drawing for my CNC system it might be practical .......but it might be a while...... in the meantime here is the tracing for those that are handy and have some basic tools....I used a band saw and a drill with a hole cutting set.......

Hope this helps.....

It would be interesting to know how many might be interested in purchasing if the price were in the $20 range plus shipping.......

Attachments

• gimbal protector.jpg
    gimbal protector.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 612
rgsinsc said:
What did you use to cut the holes? I have some extra Lexan sitting around, and I had considered using it for this purpose, but I was puzzling over how to cut the inner cavities.

So what's better 1/4 or 1/8 ? Is the 1/8 strong enough ? I don't want add any unnecessary weigh if I don't have too. But I don't want it to break and smash the gimbal.

Frankly, I think the 1/8 does the trick just fine. If you apply pressure, it will bend and touch the gimbal. I don't think this is an issue though, as it still provides protection. The 1/4 does not touch the gimbal with finger pressure. I feel like the 1/4 is more for peace of mind.

Werz said:
rgsinsc said:
What did you use to cut the holes? I have some extra Lexan sitting around, and I had considered using it for this purpose, but I was puzzling over how to cut the inner cavities.

3 different sizes of hole saws and a drill........stated in the post with the tracing.....

As far as the other post regarding their version for sale, if you go that way I would suggest the thinner material that fits snugly in the groove of the Phantom struts. When zip tied tightly the struts add rigidity......my protector will not hit the gimbal when flexed, because of the added resistance of the struts...... that have difficulty bending inward because of the tight fit of the protector.

rgsinsc said:
but it likely does not weigh but a few ounces.
I'll bet it weighs less that 1 ounce. for reference, a teaspoon weighs close 1 ounce. If you really want to know and can't find a scale, take it to the Post office and ask them to weigh it for you (they might oblige).

rgsinsc said:
Werz said:
rgsinsc said:

3 different sizes of hole saws and a drill........stated in the post with the tracing.....

As far as the other post regarding their version for sale, if you go that way I would suggest the thinner material that fits snugly in the groove of the Phantom struts. When zip tied tightly the struts add rigidity......my protector will not hit the gimbal when flexed, because of the added resistance of the struts...... that have difficulty bending inward because of the tight fit of the protector.

I absolutely agree. The version I posted above sits right inside the groove of the struts. There is a 1/8" version that flexes, and a 1/4" version that is more rigid. You might consider some additional airflow in your design. I am unsure if you have to put it through its paces. If so, and you notice no issues, great! Otherwise, I would be concerned about air resistance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik